Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How much of KotOR still lives?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-23-2008, 7:24 PM
We've had a general idea of the plot. The main points have all but been listed, the vital background informations seems to have been as well. But to anyone who appreciates a good game, you know that are the smallest details that actually make it great.

Thinking that way, and noticing that TOR warps on time severily, I wonder how much of the first KotOR games still stand. Is the Exchange still out there? The Mandalorian Clans were rebuilt by Canderous? Will we bump with situations only possible by Revan's or the Exile's past actions?
 Da_Man_2423
10-23-2008, 7:28 PM
Some of it'll probably still be there...

Only way to know for sure is to play the game, or hope info on it is talked about.
 TriggerGod
10-23-2008, 7:29 PM
or hope info on it is talked about.

or leaked, by an unreliable beta.

*hopes*
 Da_Man_2423
10-23-2008, 7:38 PM
Or play the beta yourself, so then you know it's reliable.
 TKA-001
10-23-2008, 7:58 PM
Is the Exchange still out there?
Maybe there'll be a conflict which ends in the Exchange being reformed into or wiped out and replaced with Black Sun. That'd be cool.

The Mandalorian Clans were rebuilt by Canderous?
If continuity is lucky, the Mandalorians will have degenerated since KOTOR II to the point that they never become a major galactic power again, which is how it's supposed to be by the time of the movies. Their ideals should gradually change from honor and glory for Mandalore to kills and cash for Mandalore.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-23-2008, 8:02 PM
Maybe there'll be a conflict which ends in the Exchange being reformed into or wiped out and replaced with Black Sun. That'd be cool.
That'd be one major change. For the worse. The Exchange were a different type of outlaw group. They would stay hidden no matter what. The Black Sun and it's leaders are pretty open to what they do, being nowhere near as secretive.
 TKA-001
10-23-2008, 8:04 PM
Seriously? What did the Exchange do secretly that Black Sun didn't?
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-23-2008, 8:19 PM
Assassinating. We also don't see Exchange members pushing people for money, doing piracy, sacking...
 LordOfTheFish
10-23-2008, 8:29 PM
Maybe a little, it's still needs to be fresh see that it's a new game.
 adamqd
10-23-2008, 8:33 PM
the good thing about it being 300 years later is, if tOR sucks, I can just say "maybe 300 years after KotOR the Galaxy got crap for a while?" and it doesn't really ruin or disturb continuity. Or hopefully, the Galaxy stayed good? :fingerscrossed:
 LordOfTheFish
10-23-2008, 8:47 PM
Well, I guess that part of the excitement, will just have to wait and see.

(but still.... *crosses fingers*)
 True_Avery
10-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I've actually been curious as to how much of TSL will be referenced.

TSL wasn't really Star Wars. While it was a good story that took Star Wars elements, it took liberty with a great deal of things while leaving with an incomplete story and quite a few plotholes.

Kotor1 pretty much established the Old Republic, and I felt reformed what we view as Star Wars in some ways. Bioware did it, and they knitted up their characters fairly well.

So, will TOR be working more off of the neater K1, or trying to stitch up the holes left by TSL?

Personally, I doubt TSL will be mentioned heavily. More in passing than crucial plot points, as not much of anything happened in it. The Jedi were purged. Again. What TSL basically did was create an easy blank Jedi slate for TOR to work off of, but other than that did pretty much nothing in the big picture.

Although I could be wrong, as I have not played TSL in quite some time.
 adamqd
10-24-2008, 4:34 AM
I completely agree about TSL, and I definitely think agree that K1 bought the Old Republic to a new audience and made it even better, but TOTJ is still awesome and the originator in my opinion.

I hope tOR maintains some of the more Star Warsy Motifs and Fun of K1, and not keep the lesser Star Wars feel and obscurity of TSL.
 Ztalker
10-24-2008, 6:11 AM
The Jedi Order was rebuild, so Atton, Bao-Dur, Visas and Mira did their job. Suppose there will be statues and portraits of them around the Jedi Temple.

Plus, Revan and the Exile are remembered by Carth, Bastilla and the rest as saviours of the Republic. I wouldn't look surprised if there's a holocron containing some story about them in the Library.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-24-2008, 8:36 AM
Personally, I doubt TSL will be mentioned heavily. More in passing than crucial plot points, as not much of anything happened in it. The Jedi were purged. Again. What TSL basically did was create an easy blank Jedi slate for TOR to work off of, but other than that did pretty much nothing in the big picture.

I completely agree. I believe only the most essential plot points will be mentioned, like the Jedi Purge and the reformation that followed.
 Yar-El
10-24-2008, 10:11 AM
We've had a general idea of the plot. The main points have all but been listed, the vital background informations seems to have been as well. But to anyone who appreciates a good game, you know that are the smallest details that actually make it great.

Thinking that way, and noticing that TOR warps on time severily, I wonder how much of the first KotOR games still stand. Is the Exchange still out there? The Mandalorian Clans were rebuilt by Canderous? Will we bump with situations only possible by Revan's or the Exile's past actions? I want you to prove the first point you made. We don't even have the game in front of us, and you are making a very strong prediction. Show me proof at this very moment where The Old Republic is going to warp time. Where are they changing history?

Knights of the Old Republic and The Sith Lords may not be mentioned directly. Why? The Old Republic seems to be more about the future; thus, it will focus around the events that took place after The SIth Lords. I don't think BioWare and LucasArts will retell the series. We are looking at 300 newer years of history; therefore, I'm sure there will be a great effort to move things forward. We may hear bits and pieces of the past; however, there will not be a retelling of already established canon.

Events that took place after The Sith Lords is where we are going. Everything else mentioned before the end of The Sith Lords is not important to this new story. There is the potential in learning about Revan and Exile's fate; however, that occured 300 years before the events of this game. Who knows? I don't.

Nonetheless, he was plagued by shadowy recollections of a darkness in deep space, and after Malak was gone, Revan disappeared, never to be heard from again.

When Darth Traya was defeated, the Exile followed the clues into deep space, where she also, was never heard from again.

While ultimately the fates of Revan and the Jedi Exile remain a mystery, what is known is that in deep space, there was a greater darkness. It was this darkness which played a role in Revan and Malak’s fall to the dark side, and it was this darkness which influenced the actions of the Sith triumvirate…

This is the darkness that now returns full force…

Star Wars™: Knights of the Old Republic™ (http://swtor.com/info/story/knights-old-republic)

Mission, Visas, Mira, Atton, Carth, Juhlani, Jolee, Disciple, Hanhar, Kriea, Atris, Sion, Nhilus, Malek, and Bastila are all dead and gone.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I want you to prove the first point you made. We don't even have the game in front of us, and you are making a very strong prediction. Show me proof at this very moment where The Old Republic is going to warp time. Where are they changing history?
On the officially stated part where they say it's going to take place 300 years after the KotOR games?

And, as I said, I'm not talking about the major plot points, but about the details that will make the KotOR players feel at home.
 Yar-El
10-24-2008, 10:45 AM
On the officially stated part where they say it's going to take place 300 years after the KotOR games?
And, as I said, I'm not talking about the major plot points, but about the details that will make the KotOR players feel at home. What you are saying is not warp time but fast-forward time. People will feel awkward about playing a Old Republic game that is not Knights of the Old Republic in theory. I see where you are going. Hmm...
 TKA-001
10-24-2008, 11:16 AM
We also don't see Exchange members pushing people for money, doing piracy, sacking...
What about all those thugs on Nar Shaddaa harassing the refugees and stuff?
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-24-2008, 1:09 PM
:animelol:

Seems I made a mistake there, TKA. I was talking Exchange but I actually meant the Genoharadan. My bad. And yeah, seeing that way, a morphing of the Exchange into the Black Sun would be an interesting and above all, feasible process.
 jedi7000nathan
08-16-2009, 7:48 PM
my problem with this taking place 300 years later is it just up and center killed kotor and it most of the characters we came to know and love completly!!!!!!!!! and destroyed kotor as all players knew it **** **** **** and kotor's has ship set sail
Page: 1 of 1