Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Old Republic Unveiled: Overview, space combat

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
10-23-2008, 3:24 PM
Massively and the Joystiq network had a man on the ground at Tuesday's unveiling of Star Wars: The Old Republic. They sorted the chaff from the wheat, and now they are prepared to offer up to you a series of post outlining everything there is to know about BioWare's newest game. To start with, they have a high level overview to kick us off.

Join us below the cut to get some insider information on why BioWare is making the game, the four pillars of BioWare storytelling, what little they can tell us about space combat and vehicles, and .. perhaps most interesting ... an affirmation of LucasArts' commitment to Star Wars Galaxies.

Visit Massively (http://www.massively.com/2008/10/23/the-old-republic-unveiled-overview-space-combat-and-star-wars/)
 SW01
10-23-2008, 3:35 PM
I hope they have a significant space element to it, not just shuttling from world-to-world. It would be great if we can either choose our own ships when making our character, or buy them in the course of the game. Chance of space combat? I would understand if they don't want to try to go too far too soon, but it would be amazing to command a Sith Warship - or a Sith fleet in battle!

Public areas - good. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys on the maps!

When we started talking about it, what we heard was "Well, you can't do a story in an MMO." We thought, "Well why?" The answer we pretty much got was, "Because people haven't." That didn't make a lot of sense.

Fair point. If they get this right, maybe we'll see a whole heap of other story-driven MMOs in the future.
 DarthParametric
10-23-2008, 3:39 PM
Very misleading - there's no mention of space combat other than in the article's title. All Rich Vogel said was there would be space transport and ground transport. That could mean they will start out in a manner similar to what SWG did - shuttles at first and then a space expansion down the track.
 Web Rider
10-23-2008, 5:38 PM
I wouldn't mind a "random encounter" where you shoot at incoming ships like we did in K1 and K2, but I really don't want crazy fancy space combat where I actually have to figure out how to fly around in "space".
 Tommycat
10-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't mind a "random encounter" where you shoot at incoming ships like we did in K1 and K2, but I really don't want crazy fancy space combat where I actually have to figure out how to fly around in "space".

Hehe I do... it might be a good idea to hire a pilot:D Don't worry, My fees will be reasonable:dev9:
 gianner
11-26-2008, 4:15 PM
Hehe I do... it might be a good idea to hire a pilot:D Don't worry, My fees will be reasonable:dev9:

Whatever he asks, I'll do it for half the credits:D

Seriously now, even with an expansion I would like to see space navigation and combat.

I didnt like those mini-games at all. They were a bit boring... But that's just me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and preferences.
 Zakalwe
12-21-2008, 2:07 PM
but I really don't want crazy fancy space combat where I actually have to figure out how to fly around in "space".

I would love that. I want TIE Fighter / X-Wing back!!
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-21-2008, 7:15 PM
i loved space combat in bf2, and im hoping there'll be something like that in tor
 Nedak
12-21-2008, 10:53 PM
why is DMUK a guest?
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-22-2008, 6:45 AM
why is DMUK a guest?
can guests even post?! :confused:
 True_Avery
12-22-2008, 6:56 AM
why is DMUK a guest?
Because his account still exists, but is no longer active.

Not sure why it has "guest', but DMUK is no longer a member/admin of LucasForums.
 Nedak
12-22-2008, 2:13 PM
Because his account still exists, but is no longer active.

Not sure why it has "guest', but DMUK is no longer a member/admin of LucasForums.

Ah okay. That's sad.

Anyways, didn't see anything interesting in that article.
 Tommycat
12-22-2008, 9:43 PM
Whatever he asks, I'll do it for half the credits:D
Yeah, but I'll get ya there in one piece.
Page: 1 of 1