Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?

Page: 1 of 5
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 6:33 PM
Do people have great joy that there is a conclusion to the KOTOR series, or does it detract from the original two games?
 ReplicatorJade
10-21-2008, 6:36 PM
Well, from what I've read and heard so far, its like its a new game, new storyline, dressed up a little different, but just happens to have Old Republic in the title.

I don't even think it should be consider Kotor game. Because its really not. Its something new hundreds of years later.
 jrrtoken
10-21-2008, 6:36 PM
No, no, no. The is LucasArts' greatest blaspheme: The alienation of all fans who begged for KotOR III, but instead we have a money-making product which is nothing what I wanted.
 Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 6:47 PM
No, no, no. The is LucasArts' greatest blaspheme: The alienation of all fans who begged for KotOR III, but instead we have a money-making product which is nothing what I wanted.

They care what you want....why?
 TKA-001
10-21-2008, 6:49 PM
Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?
In short, no.

In long, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
 the-obiwan
10-21-2008, 7:03 PM
In short, no.

In long, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

i know... we want kotor 3 why the hell they dont hear the fans!!! gosh they should stop thinking of money money and money.
 Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 7:05 PM
Quote:

"2:26 Scooter: But he's talking about a game for KOTOR fans who don't play MMOs"

Scooter from 1up at the event.
 ReplicatorJade
10-21-2008, 7:06 PM
i know... we want kotor 3 why the hell they dont hear the fans!!! gosh they should stop thinking of money money and money.

I'm gonna guess that it wasn't the money they were worried about since it is a Star Wars game and they know that a certain percentage of people will buy it just because it has star wars on the label.

But with all the new game and video graphics, they probably wanted to make something new, advanced and young. Which is BS! Since it should be about the graphics, but the story.
That's the world for you! Greedy Jerks!
 Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 7:10 PM
I think its awesome. I'm definatley getting both games.
 Jeff
10-21-2008, 7:15 PM
I enjoy MMOs so I think I am probably just as excited for SWToR as I would be for a KotOR 3.
 SW01
10-21-2008, 7:34 PM
I think that such a huge gap makes the story of TSL a little...remote. It seems more of a new era than a continuation of the last in that respect. That in itself is not an altogether bad thing, but I personally would have preferred the outstanding era to be resolved first.
 Yar-El
10-21-2008, 7:40 PM
Here is the catch -

4:38 Scooter: "most MMOs have background, and the people you MEET have a story, but YOU don't have a story" Revan and Exile had a story that included the player character's participation. We no longer have this element.
 Jeff
10-21-2008, 7:41 PM
Actually we do, they were saying that is typical in most MMOs, but in this one you will have an individual story.
 DarthHK
10-21-2008, 8:13 PM
Actually we do, they were saying that is typical in most MMOs, but in this one you will have an individual story.

It just doesn't work as well with 2189470128410948112034 "the ones" running amok begging for "1337 1007" and "sabverz."

I'm going off to weep.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 8:48 PM
The good conclusion would have been an offline one. It could be set 500 ABY and still call it a direct sequel to the TSL as long as it stayed SP for me.

Yeah, as a trader or farmer maybe. Perhaps a fighter pilot at best. I can't really think of players getting any significant role on such a world.
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 9:17 PM
I think that TSL was just ended with a conflict so great that they couldn't come up with a dramatic conclusion for it. Odds are that they were interested in selling a third installment that they tried to make the best cliffhanger they could for TSL.

This was clearly meant for the KOTOR fans, but is not a conclusion for the cliffhanger they left from TSL. This is the WORST way they could have continued the franchise. At least before, the ending was open to the imagination. Now it's carved in stone that KOTOR III was never going to be.

This is an abomination that killed KOTOR!
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 9:26 PM
I think that TSL was just ended with a conflict so great that they couldn't come up with a dramatic conclusion for it. Odds are that they were interested in selling a third installment that they tried to make the best cliffhanger they could for TSL.
I refuse to believe they couldn't come up with a decent ending for that cliffhanger. They're more likely exploiting the gold mine that the starved KotOR fans have become while we're still dry.
 Jae Onasi
10-21-2008, 9:30 PM
Is TOR better than Kotor 3? That's like asking 'is the Chateau Lafite 2066 wine better than the Chateau Margaux 2075?'. We can hardly compare without having both. :)
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 9:33 PM
^ Instead, you might just as well go for a beer.
 Yar-El
10-21-2008, 9:40 PM
Is TOR better than Kotor 3? That's like asking 'is the Chateau Lafite 2066 wine better than the Chateau Margaux 2075?'. We can hardly compare without having both. :) Judging the second wine requires tasting and experiencing both. Very articulate. :)
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 9:57 PM
Is TOR better than Kotor 3? That's like asking 'is the Chateau Lafite 2066 wine better than the Chateau Margaux 2075?'. We can hardly compare without having both. :)

That wasn't the question I posted. The majority of fans looking forward to this game were KOTOR fans and wanted KOTOR III. Instead, they got... this.

It is NOT what Lucasarts had advertised it to be. Who had been waiting for something that they did not know exist?

Who here have been waiting for TOR? I most certainly wasn't!
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
It is NOT what Lucasarts had advertised it to be.
What did they really advertised then?
 True_Avery
10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Who here have been waiting for TOR? I most certainly wasn't!
*Raises Hand*

Yes, there are those that would have liked Kotor3. I, personally, found the idea of an MMO to be quite nice.
 Jae Onasi
10-21-2008, 10:29 PM
If I hadn't started playing Guild Wars and got a good MMO experience from that, I'd probably be unhappy about this being an MMO instead of a SP RPG. However, with the MMO experience under my belt, I'm a lot more receptive to the idea of a Kotor MMO, so I am actually looking forward to this game quite a bit.

I sure hope they have family pricing, because I bet the entire family will want to play. :lol:
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Lucasarts was referring to the 5-year wait for KOTOR III. There was NOTHING indicating something other than KOTOR and I would not imagine anyone who were waiting for the third installment would have wanted this. This is a new thing, yet it was portrayed as a continuation of the KOTOR franchise.

Lucasarts is abandoning KOTOR and saying this is what the fans have been wanting for five years... it's not.
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 10:36 PM
If I hadn't started playing Guild Wars and got a good MMO experience from that, I'd probably be unhappy about this being an MMO instead of a SP RPG. However, with the MMO experience under my belt, I'm a lot more receptive to the idea of a Kotor MMO, so I am actually looking forward to this game quite a bit.

I sure hope they have family pricing, because I bet the entire family will want to play. :lol:

I should clarify something. I wasn't specific enough when I was polling. My intent was to ask if people wanted the story to take place 10-20 years down the line, or if they are satisfied that 350 would not be too much for them to assume that this is suitable enough for K3, or if it's something completely different.

I WILL not get this game because it is a fake attempt to satisfy KOTOR fans with something completely different than what they made it out to be. How many SW fans do you think assumed this was a new franchise altogether(and not the final installment of KOTOR)?
 True_Avery
10-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Lucasarts was referring to the 5-year wait for KOTOR III. There was NOTHING indicating something other than KOTOR and I would not imagine anyone who were waiting for the third installment would have wanted this. This is a new thing, yet it was portrayed as a continuation of the KOTOR franchise.

Lucasarts is abandoning KOTOR and saying this is what the fans have been wanting for five years... it's not.
I never believed a K3 was coming in the first place personally. I saw the very, very unfinished TSL and the way LA treated Obsidian during that time and put the puzzle together:

LA was not going to make another unless it was made by Bioware. Except, Bioware has had things like Mass Effect and such under its nose for the time being, so it was a surprise to hear that a studio was put together to work on a Lucas/Bioware project. Then it was announced Bioware was working on an MMO, and it only made sense to me to put the two together.

The MMO looks to be trying to take the Guild Wars route, meaning that its a multiplayer game with aspects of both. With this, I can play this game for possibly years. I would be done with K3 in a week or less, however, and would just be waiting all over again.
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 11:00 PM
^

As you wish. I'll say that lucasarts won't be profiting off me for making something and advertising something completely different. As far as I'm concerned, people who buy what they don't want simply because there is nothing else available are only encouraging companies like lucasarts to keep giving you more of what you don't want.

If you want K3 to come out, then tell lucasarts that you won't buy anything besides that. If enough do that, then garbage like "the old republic" won't be made.
 Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
If you want K3 to come out, then tell lucasarts that you won't buy anything besides that. If enough do that, then they will make K3 and not something you didn't want.

Good luck with that crusade. Don't think it'll work though.
 True_Avery
10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
^

As you wish. I'll say that lucasarts won't be profiting off me for making something and advertising something completely different. As far as I'm concerned, people who buy what they don't want simply because there is nothing else available are only encouraging companies like lucasarts to keep giving you more of what you don't want.

If you want K3 to come out, then tell lucasarts that you won't buy anything besides that. If enough do that, then garbage like "the old republic" won't be made.
I don't actually ever recall LF or Bioware ever advertising K3. At all.

The news we have been getting over the past few years is "We are working together" "Its a joint project" "Team in Austin" "MMO"

Both completely denied anything relating to Kotor until EA let it slip, and the announcement today.

If you have any Kotor3 ad links available, I'd be delighted to see them however.
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
"The wait is over."

What does that mean? It has a direct reference to the KOTOR era where nothing else in the SW universe comes close to that point in history. TSL has never been resolved. They include 'Revan' in the description. It's directed at KOTOR fans.

A reasonable supposition can be made. This is to pacify the fans for now so that they can make a K3 after this if successful.
 Prime
10-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I'll say that lucasarts won't be profiting off me for making something and advertising something completely different. Link?
 True_Avery
10-21-2008, 11:18 PM
"The wait is over."

What does that mean? It has a direct reference to the KOTOR era where nothing else in the SW universe comes close to that point in history. TSL has never been resolved. They include 'Revan' in the description. It's directed at KOTOR fans.

A reasonable supposition can be made. This is to pacify the fans for now so that they can make a K3 after this if successful.
"The Wait Is Over" means the Wait is Over. It doesn't specifically say K3 or Revan on the cover.

And, from experience with multiple MMOs, an MMO is here to stay for a long time. They wouldn't spend years working on something so large only to use it as a pacifier for the real treat.

If you don't believe me, ask the people that are still waiting for Warcraft IV.
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Good luck with that crusade. Don't think it'll work though.

It only doesn't work because the KOTOR fans would be willing to buy something that they didn't ask for. I'm not launching a crusade, but encouraging everyone to object to this game if they wanted K3 and NOT to buy this if they don't want it.
 stoffe
10-21-2008, 11:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned, people who buy what they don't want simply because there is nothing else available are only encouraging companies like lucasarts to keep giving you more of what you don't want.

Sometimes you don't know what you want until you've tried it though (unless you're only interested in "more of the same" games I guess). Some of the best games I've ever played were blind purchases that I didn't know much about in advance, that I mostly picked up because they were cheap to fill out shipping of other games.

Going into something with no expectations and just judging the experience by its own merit can pleasantly surprise you in some cases. :)

Personally I'm reserving judgment until I know more about this game, what the gameplay and story will be like, how much it will cost, and preferably getting a chance to try it out. :)
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Link?

I think that if you need a link to be convinced of this, then you must not be looking at all. Go into the KOTOR forums and most everything implies(but does not directly conclude) that it was a multi-player online KOTOR project.

If it will make you happy, then I'll see what I can do.

(THE ISSUE IS THAT I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH INSERTING LINKS IN THESE POSTS, NOT THAT THE LINKS DON'T EXIST.)
 True_Avery
10-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I think that if you need a link to be convinced of this, then you must not be looking at all.
Hey now, no need to be hostile.

Go into the KOTOR forums and most everything implies(but does not directly conclude) that it was a multi-player online KOTOR project.
Knights Of The Old Republic.

It is set in the Old Republic, and you can play as a Jedi Knight. Seems Kotor to me, just now Massively Multiplayer.

If anything, TSL is the odd child out in this situation. Unfinished, unresolved, and made by a different company using many different characters.

(THE ISSUE IS THAT I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH INSERTING LINKS IN THESE POSTS, NOT THAT THE LINKS DON'T EXIST.)
Ctrl+c and then Ctrl+v
 Prime
10-21-2008, 11:35 PM
I think that if you need a link to be convinced of this, then you must not be looking at all. Go into the KOTOR forums and most everything implies(but does not directly conclude) that it was a multi-player online KOTOR project.Which they delivered. You claimed they did not. Again, link?
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Which they delivered. You claimed they did not. Again, link?

No, they delivered "The Old Republic"

Here are your links and tell me how many before the release assumed it was something completely different from KOTOR. Answer: Almost none

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2542444#post2542444) Of which you seemed to have already seen AND posted to

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starw...opslot;thumb;1)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=190014)

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs...e-old-republic)

I'm also going to end this here because I'm not really interested in people who want to squander their money on rubbish they don't want.

Please keep your anger in check.

~T_A
 Prime
10-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Here are your links and tell me how many before the release assumed it was something completely different from KOTOR. Answer: Almost noneYou mean to tell me that you see almost no connection between the current KOTOR games and what is being announced here? Seriously?
 Jae Onasi
10-22-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm also going to end this here because I'm not really interested in people who want to squander their money on rubbish they don't want.

How do you know a. it's rubbish and more importantly, b. something I don't want? I actually do want this game, even if it's not K3 SP RPG.
 True_Avery
10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
No, they delivered "The Old Republic"
They made no promise to you at all. They never once made an advertisement for Knights of the Old Republic 3. They promised a joint project by Bioware and LA, and they gave it. They said it would take place in the Old Republic, which it has.

I recommend looking into the wookiepedia article on the Old Republic. Into the comic series, games, etc and you'll find it is much larger than 2 games.

The thing is, some of us do in fact want an MMO over K3. Myself included.

And thank you for ending here. I would hope that you will keep your anger in check and refrain from being hostile in the future towards other members.
 Yar-El
10-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Its getting harder and harder for me to not become a hypocrite. I will have to wait and see how things go. I wonder how the pricing will be.
 Prime
10-22-2008, 9:38 AM
This poll needs the option for liking that fact it is 300 years after KOTOR so as not to really interfere with that storyline (comics included).
 Darth_Yuthura
10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
This poll needs the option for liking that fact it is 300 years after KOTOR so as not to really interfere with that storyline (comics included).

It does interfere because it explicitly shows that everything after TSL does not get resolved for another 300 years.

My anger is not the lucasarts has chosen an MMO instead of KOTOR 3, but that their MMO killed all possibility of KOTOR 3. If Lucasarts wanted an MMO, they should have had it 5-20 years after KOTOR and regarded it as a continuation of that storyline, or not touched KOTOR in any degree.
 Ztalker
10-22-2008, 12:08 PM
It does interfere because it explicitly shows that everything after TSL does not get resolved for another 300 years.

My anger is not the lucasarts has chosen an MMO instead of KOTOR 3, but that their MMO killed all possibility of KOTOR 3. If Lucasarts wanted an MMO, they should have had it 5-20 years after KOTOR and regarded it as a continuation of that storyline, or not touched KOTOR in any degree.

Ehm? Killed Kotor 3?

Hello 300 years of...nothingness? In The MMO the Sith have RECENTLY surfaced and laid waste to the Galaxy. Not 2 seconds after the Exile's departure.
Also, we see a rebuild Jedi order. Atton, Bao-Dur, Deciple must have done their job very well!

And..ehm...5-20 years after Kotor? Big raid to kill Revan for his Ubermask of +5 vs Lucasforums Moderators" ?

Nope. Revan and the Exile are to valuable. They don't make the same 'mistake' as Blizzard, where in WoW you can kill every great hero from the Warcraft RTS games.

I think this is the better way. A beautiful statue of Bao-Dur in the Jedi halls, a portrait of Revan in Sith academy...some holocrons in which they speak to you...the 'Onasi-class star Destroyer" etc etc.

I think this way, they leave the mystery untouched.

So, I agree with True_Avery.
Some people want this. There are great arguments pro and con, but the cons (the one's you have us) don't have monopoly on the truth.

@ Prime: Crap, you already brought in my '300 years is good' argument.
 Prime
10-22-2008, 1:36 PM
It does interfere because it explicitly shows that everything after TSL does not get resolved for another 300 years.How does no information = nothing happens?

We get some info from the games and the rest is now free to be explored by the comics (and other media), which have done a create job expanding that era so far. Hell we already have some info from the MMO blurb.
 Pikmin
10-22-2008, 1:59 PM
*Snipped* Both BioWare and LA said the reason for making K3 an MMO is that:

http://www.massively.com/2008/10/21/star-wars-the-old-republic-mmo-to-replace-kotor-3/)

I like the Idea of leaving the mystery of what happened...? unsolved(for the most part.)

A beautiful statue of Bao-Dur in the Jedi halls, a portrait of Revan in Sith academy...some holocrons in which they speak to you...the 'Onasi-class star Destroyer" etc etc.

Yeah, that would indeed be sweet.

It kinda makes since that the True Sith waited to attack, they wanted revenge on the Jedi, and with possibly 3-8 alive where would the satisfaction be?(especially with most of the 3-8 Jedi(or Sith) being newbs). They waited till the Exile's disciples had fully rebuilt the Order.

I understand your frustration, but please don't resort to name calling. Thanks!

~T_A
 CrisG
10-22-2008, 2:11 PM
Your poll topics are biased and do not allow us to be honest...I relish the chance to continue the game story and it is fine that it is later on, there are huge jumps in time throughout the SW canon and that is part of the overall way it is told. I wish people would be grateful we can return to the journey and be positive about the great effort being made on our behalf here. This is a fine extension of the KOTOR story and is not only KOTOR III but IV, V, VI, VII and so on as they specifically said.

Learn we will, being patient.
 Feagildin
10-22-2008, 2:15 PM
I didn't vote in the poll, because the poll doesn't feature and option which reflects my view. I like the game concept. I like the artwork. I would absolutely LOVE to play from day one. However, I will probably not be able to due to finances. =( Unless there isn't a monthly fee. *crosses fingers*
Page: 1 of 5