Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Possiblities?

Page: 1 of 1
 totallyclueless
10-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Okay I know absolutely nothing about modding, and don't have the patience, time, or brains to learn how to do it myself. A lot of the mods I have seen have been changes in color or textures. So, I am wondering what is possible to do in a mod?
 Admiral Buttercrust
10-19-2008, 2:45 AM
Make someone look different, give your self someone elses head, make new modules, make skins of old modules, create a party member, make a new planet, change dialouge, make force powers, make new armors and masks, make a new selectable character for yourself, make armbands, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON!
Get a tutorial, find something that is easy and enjoyable for you, master it, and enjoy!
 RedHawke
10-19-2008, 2:46 AM
As this is a question/discussion topic moving to Holowan labs proper, the Mod Requests forum is solely for mod requests. Thanks.

To refute a little of what was stated above, as of yet there really hasn't actually been any actual "new modules", only some modders experimenting with the process of making one and posting screenshots of their experiments. We can't totally make body or head models from scratch either, and we also still have other limitations.

The examples of the released mods you have seen is a really good indicator of the current limits of what is possible.
 Marius Fett
10-19-2008, 7:11 AM
To refute a little of what was stated above, as of yet there really hasn't actually been any actual "new modules", only some modders experimenting with the process of making one and posting screenshots of their experiments. We can't totally make body or head models from scratch either, and we also still have other limitations.

Actually, there has been a mod like that.

Quanon's Temple Mod:

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/The_Temple_Mod;85657)

:xp:
 totallyclueless
10-20-2008, 2:12 AM
Would it be possible to do something like change the exterior of the ebon hawk. besides just colors. Or a tunic like the jedi robes from TSL but with out the outer robe? can this type of thing be done?
 Drunkside
10-20-2008, 6:39 AM
Ebon hawk... i dont think that can be made, since we cant do new modeling on an older map. But yeah, that robe thing is possible, but it would recuire a whole new model. I think... LoL like i would know a thing...
 RedHawke
10-20-2008, 9:19 AM
Actually, there has been a mod like that.

Quanon's Temple Mod:

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/The_Temple_Mod;85657)

:xp:
My point still stands... or are there more than this one lone mod?
 jonathan7
10-20-2008, 9:37 AM

I think its fair to say new module creation is still in the Beta stages; though obviously Quanon And Gsccc/Doc V are two modders who come to mind who have created (multiple) new modules, though most are yet to be released; indicating the time needed to create new modules...
 RedHawke
10-20-2008, 9:38 AM
I think its fair to say new module creation is still in the Beta stages;
Which is why it shouldn't as of yet be touted as a possibility for the "masses".
 totallyclueless
10-20-2008, 3:34 PM
Which is why it shouldn't as of yet be touted as a possibility for the "masses".

I went and counted the Modules at filefront. and it looked like there were three that actually added areas to the game. the jedi temple on coruscant, Azgath N'Dul's tomb, and Telos Slums (this one may not count because it reused most of a module from the game) I haven't played any of these but there are there to download.
 Sithspecter
10-20-2008, 3:39 PM

Well, I released a pretty sorry World War Two area a while back as my first mod on KotOR Files, but it's not worth the download. I also released a really bad Sleheyron area in TUCE. But yes, I wouldn't say that it's a huge field of modding...
 RedHawke
10-21-2008, 3:22 AM
I went and counted the Modules at filefront. and it looked like there were three that actually added areas to the game. the jedi temple on coruscant, Azgath N'Dul's tomb, and Telos Slums (this one may not count because it reused most of a module from the game) I haven't played any of these but there are there to download.
Just an FYI re-used areas (most of the new area mods do this BTW) are not "new modules" like what was touted... totally new modules is something that is the realm of the very few and not many can do such a thing. Ergo it really isn't a "possibility" atm.

Perhaps if enough dedicated people do them and post tutorials on how to do them that 'might' change... until then modding these games is what it is, mainly re-skins, tweaked head and body models here and there, new saber/weapon models, and re-used game modules cleaned out and re-populated masquerading as new areas.
 Robespierre
10-21-2008, 6:38 AM
Just an FYI re-used areas (most of the new area mods do this BTW) are not "new modules" like what was touted... totally new modules is something that is the realm of the very few and not many can do such a thing. Ergo it really isn't a "possibility" atm.

The Quadrumvirate of the Third Dimension XD.

It would also be worth mentioning the awesome mods that have used area-reskins; Brotherhood of Shadow immediately comes to mind. Not being able to create totally new areas is a limitation, but modders have found plenty of intuitive ways to work around it.
 Knight Of Honor
10-21-2008, 7:38 AM
I have a question about the Possibilities of removing Npc enemies. For example at the Trayus academy, i feel like its to much fighting in there, so i just thought there might be possible to reduce the number of enemies in there? How would that work?
 zbyl2
10-21-2008, 9:35 AM
I have a question about the Possibilities of removing Npc enemies. For example at the Trayus academy, i feel like its to much fighting in there, so i just thought there might be possible to reduce the number of enemies in there? How would that work?
Nothing hard to do. You'd need to delete them from module's .git file. Nothing hard.
 Quanon
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Perhaps if enough dedicated people do them and post tutorials on how to do them that 'might' change...

Well I did post a nice bunch of links for a Video Tutorial I made, its in that Holowan You Tube Channel thread.

It covers the basics of what you need to do in 3D and stuff :p

Though I guess a decent written out Word File might help; but, yeah, as you pointed out it isn't an easy, 1, 2, 3, ready thing.

The new BoS will have 4 new areas done by me :)

So that would be 2 mods, well 1 and a half, my mod mentioned here isn't really that "breath" taking :lol:
 Darth InSidious
10-21-2008, 12:52 PM

It probably never will, to be honest. It requires a clutch of skills and a clear design instinct which is rather unusual... at least, on the internet.
 Quanon
10-21-2008, 3:43 PM
It probably never will, to be honest. It requires a clutch of skills and a clear design instinct which is rather unusual... at least, on the internet.

passion and practise, practise, practise... etc

As most crafty hobbys.

And a good age ^.^
 RedHawke
10-22-2008, 4:23 AM
I agree... (Big surprise I know! :xp: )

It would also be worth mentioning the awesome mods that have used area-reskins; Brotherhood of Shadow immediately comes to mind. Not being able to create totally new areas is a limitation, but modders have found plenty of intuitive ways to work around it.
While they can be pretty they still are simply re-used areas.
Page: 1 of 1