Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Good and Bad about Game

Page: 1 of 2
 RevanMMaster
10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I would just like to know what could have been done to make the game better, and what they shouldn't change. Please express all of your opinions
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Much, but MUCH more development on the lightsaber combat would have been wonderful.
 JoeDoe 2.0
10-12-2008, 12:06 PM
^ Ditto

Plus more planet and some more enemies would have been good
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-12-2008, 5:04 PM
And the the Force pull ability. That seems like a must-have for any Jedi game. I don't know why they didn't include it as it certainly would have been handy.
 LordOfTheFish
10-12-2008, 5:16 PM
The length.
 Pwnzor326
10-12-2008, 6:47 PM
The Lightsaber feels like a glowing baseball bat it doesn't seem to do any real damage.
 Darth Eclipse
10-12-2008, 7:22 PM
LordOfTheFish, YES the length!!! YESSS!!!!!!!!!!:shades2:
 Da_Man_2423
10-12-2008, 8:50 PM
The Lightsaber feels like a glowing baseball bat it doesn't seem to do any real damage.

Yes it does. You hit an enemy with it, and he loses some health. It does do "real" damage. If you mean real as in "one hit he's dead", well, tough luck.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-12-2008, 9:19 PM
Well, that would kind of suck, don't you think? It would render the game ridiculously easy. Liberties like this must be taken for the sake of gameplay.
 Da_Man_2423
10-12-2008, 9:31 PM
Well, that would kind of suck, don't you think? It would render the game ridiculously easy. Liberties like this must be taken for the sake of gameplay.

It would suck, and it would be ridiculously easy. I've been gone from the forums for a month, and Jedi Knight is still stuck in some minds apparently.
 Sam!
10-12-2008, 11:27 PM
I would have preffered it if the game was longer. I actually didn't mind how much damage the lightsabers took off - it offered a challenge.

I used the force to defeat most of my enemies. Cloud City was fairly easy...just push them out of a window or off a ledge. I liked the variety of force powers, and the option to start the game again with your previous force powers.
 Da_Man_2423
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
I used the force to defeat most of my enemies.

This was the main point of the game, and something the developers stressed a thousand times. Glad someone didn't care as much about the lightsabers for once. Even if they don't do a crapload of damage, the moves are still cool to watch, and it's not like it takes 100 hits to take out the common enemies.
 JoeDoe 2.0
10-13-2008, 2:07 AM
^ You truly love the game huh? :p

IMO, it would have been better if instead of Proxy having the Darth Maul file, he had the Anakin (Episode 3) one. But then the fan commotion and the questions of who is stronger (Anakin: The Chosen One, or "Starkiller": Star Destroyer ballet parker)
I guess it was the correct choice... but I still would have wanted to see that fight
 RevanMMaster
10-13-2008, 4:23 AM
I agree, the game should have been longer. I also think that if they could have made vader a costume, if they just gave him force jump, and dash that would have made him playable for the whole game
 khawk
10-13-2008, 6:28 AM
To me there are a few things I think could have been better. For example, Raxus Prime is the planet I really don't like. Sure, bringing down an ISD is fun, the 2nd version may just be better then the first but I would have preferred another planet.
Felucia is much better done, it has a bit of a story attached to it, the planet looks great, really nicely done. Raxus prime.... mm should have been another planet.
 Qwerty Uiop
10-13-2008, 11:07 AM
It would suck, and it would be ridiculously easy. I've been gone from the forums for a month, and Jedi Knight is still stuck in some minds apparently.

I don't think even the JK games had one-hit kills.
 RevanMMaster
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree with hawk. Raxas was poorly done. They should have replaced it with a planet that went better with the story.
 LordOfTheFish
10-13-2008, 1:05 PM
A Coruscant level not in the Jedi Temple.
 RyuuKage
10-13-2008, 7:49 PM
And the the Force pull ability. That seems like a must-have for any Jedi game. I don't know why they didn't include it as it certainly would have been handy.
Grip is better than just a straight pull...
 SW01
10-13-2008, 9:05 PM
I think TFU was a great starting point for next-generation Star Wars games, but I would suggest a few things:

1) Greater customisation - have a named character, certainly, but give us a little more freedom - for instance to choose a path in such a way that effects the game, not just the final boss fight. Or customisable hilts even in the PS3 and X-Box releases.

2) No difference between releases, save in cases of the limitations of technology. The absence of some material has been a main disappointment for me.

3) As most others have said, it was good but too short. I'm still hoping to see a Star Wars game with the length and depth of Final Fantasy! :D
 LordOfTheFish
10-13-2008, 9:10 PM
Originally Posted by SW01
1) Greater customisation - have a named character, certainly, but give us a little more freedom - for instance to choose a path in such a way that effects the game, not just the final boss fight. Or customisable hilts even in the PS3 and X-Box releases.

Like a KOTOR type aspect?
 SW01
10-13-2008, 9:17 PM
Like a KOTOR type aspect?

That sort of thing - I've always preferred that kind of freedom in Star Wars games - I like the distinction between Jedi and Sith playthroughs, and the innate 'replayability' when there are options for customisation.
 LordOfTheFish
10-13-2008, 9:24 PM
The depth of Star Wars allows for that sort of thing.
 SW01
10-13-2008, 9:36 PM
The depth of Star Wars allows for that sort of thing.

Indeed. I feel that such depth should be mirrored in the games.
 LordOfTheFish
10-13-2008, 9:56 PM

I couldn't agree more.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Grip is better than just a straight pull...

Yes, but you're missing the point. The point I'm trying to make is that pull would be useful for disarming enemies, as well as convenient for pulling in out-of-reach items such as holocrons instead of walking to them.

Edit: Ah, I guess I didn't mention my reasoning for it in this thread. I did so in a different thread and got the two mixed up. In that case, I don't blame you for not getting what I was trying to say. :)
 RyuuKage
10-13-2008, 11:02 PM

*hopeful for in-depth series followup*

It'd also be interesting to have a store of Force powers to choose from as you advance (like JKA and KOTOR), especially if the next had multiplayer (it should have multi regardless, lol). That would allow for more variation as well as cater to various playing styles (and add replayability). Some might focus on lightsabers and buff powers (Force Speed, Force Armor, etc.), certain offensive Force powers, debuffers (like Force Drain or Wound), or jack-of-all-trades who dabble in everything.

Yes, but you're missing the point. The point I'm trying to make is that pull would be useful for disarming enemies, as well as convenient for pulling in out-of-reach items such as holocrons instead of walking to them.

Edit: Ah, I guess I didn't mention my reasoning for it in this thread. I did so in a different thread and got the two mixed up. In that case, I don't blame you for not getting what I was trying to say. :)
Ah. That indeed does make sense, though I think I'd have to disagree about being able to grab the holocrons. XD i was mostly think of pull as in yanking enemies towards you, but if it could be focused on weapons (or even better, stormie helmets >:D) that would be a great addition. A quick yank into your lightsaber's always good for a laugh too...
 LordOfTheFish
10-14-2008, 8:37 AM

I don't know if that goes along with the whole secret thing.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-14-2008, 4:39 PM
Well, they'd have to be within view and within a certain distance, obviously.
 Negative Sun
10-14-2008, 5:41 PM
It misses some:

helpusobi 1

g_saberrealisticcombat 3 :D

Kyle Katarn pwns all!
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-14-2008, 9:16 PM
Setting it on three causes too much damage and makes the enemies too easy. Setting it to one is perfect: only a barely noticeable extra amount of damage is done, and you still get the same amount limbs flying all over the place. :D
 Rabish Bini
10-15-2008, 2:32 AM
Needs to be longer
 Negative Sun
10-15-2008, 3:55 PM
Setting it on three causes too much damage and makes the enemies too easy. Setting it to one is perfect: only a barely noticeable extra amount of damage is done, and you still get the same amount limbs flying all over the place. :D
well if my saber's cutting their heads 'n limbs off n stuff, any damage done should be lethal ;)
 SW01
10-15-2008, 5:42 PM
Needs to be longer

QFT

More planets, more missions, more freedom please!

My suggestion - take Final Fantasy XII, stick in a few lightsabres and robes, call the bad guy Darth Vayne and release it!:xp:
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-15-2008, 5:53 PM
Without the hunts, please.
 Sidias.R
10-15-2008, 7:25 PM
Indeed - a lot of things should've been improved. Lightsabre combat, force powers, and the length of the game itself.
Also, they really shouldn't have 'made' this unbalanced gameplay between these consoles, i.e force powers, duel mode, certain costumes, etc.
 Da_Man_2423
10-15-2008, 8:26 PM
Point of the game was to get the storyline across...everything else was just slapped in to have you do something besides watching cut scenes the whole time. I wish it would've been more open-ended RPG-style where you can do crap whenever you wanted to. Guess I'm just used to those kinds of games these days.
 SW01
10-16-2008, 4:07 PM
Point of the game was to get the storyline across...everything else was just slapped in to have you do something besides watching cut scenes the whole time. I wish it would've been more open-ended RPG-style where you can do crap whenever you wanted to. Guess I'm just used to those kinds of games these days.

QFT

Yeah, those seem to be the best games about - ESPECIALLY when Star Wars is involved. (KotOR)
 LordOfTheFish
10-16-2008, 4:44 PM
QFT

Yeah, those seem to be the best games about - ESPECIALLY when Star Wars is involved. (KotOR)

QFT :xp:
 Henz
10-16-2008, 5:52 PM
The game itself is decent enough. It being a bit longer would obviously be better.
The story is good, and fits in the timeline nicely, although there are a couple of ???s I found troubling (like wtf happens to Kota between this and ep 4? and why Vader is having the last of the jedi slaughtered but seemingly leaving Obi Wan alone?)
I think there should have been more moments of pure stormtrooper rape, where you can unleash your powers upon real armies of pawns (not challenging I know, but it would have been fun)
Some bits weren't as fun as they should have been. There were too many annoying edges to slip off or get stuck in, in many instances within a simple "follow this path" formula. The moment towards the end in the death star, when you're jumping platforms between dozens of laser beams felt truely epic to me, but there were other times when jumping ledges felt too linear and tedious.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-16-2008, 8:30 PM
My suggestion - take Final Fantasy XII, stick in a few lightsabres and robes, call the bad guy Darth Vayne and release it!:xp:

You have no idea (or maybe you do) of how many times I've suggested the FFXII system... but the game in question was KotOR, not TFU.
 Rabish Bini
10-17-2008, 4:47 AM
You have no idea (or maybe you do) of how many times I've suggested the FFXII system... but the game in question was KotOR, not TFU.
KotOR's brilliant the way it is, give us a third one damnit!!
 General Dragon
10-17-2008, 9:13 AM
I thought of buying the game but, it seems it is not my type of game. Just take KotOR, add bigger maps, action-orientated combat system and RESPAWNING ENEMIES and voila! what a great game that will be!
 LordOfTheFish
10-17-2008, 1:51 PM
What is your kind of game? Maybe we can help.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-17-2008, 4:33 PM

That's sort of funny because I've suggested the complete opposite: that FF12's battle system be more like KOTOR's battle system as the former didn't quite seem developed enough to me, and had major flaws.
 LordOfTheFish
10-17-2008, 7:42 PM
I agree with Rabish, KOTOR is fine how it is.

But to steer things back on topic, I forgot to mention the game lacked difficultness. For example, when you work a enemy down to a certain point on they're health bar it doesn't go back up when you die...?!?!
 SW01
10-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Aye, the Kotor system is fine, but a few more animations and whatnot wouldn't hurt! The developer did that with TSL, after all.

As for difficulty, I'm not sure that I would agree. Apprentice obviously is stupidly easy, Stih Warrior is a little better, but the Sith Master difficulty is wild! I nearly got killed by the Wookiees as Vader!:(

I didn't notice that the enemies' health bars didn't refill if you got killed. I did notice that your own health bar completely refills, even if you were at lower health when the fight started.
 GwannaSauna
10-18-2008, 3:13 PM
I didn't think about this before I read the other posts:

UPGRADE THE FORCE POWERS!

Upgrade Force Lightning so you can shock Star Destroyers!

Upgrade Force Push so you can push a stormtrooper into space!

Upgrade Force Repulse so the enemies screams can be heard from across the galaxy!
 General Dragon
10-20-2008, 9:44 AM
What is your kind of game? Maybe we can help.

KotOR was a game I really liked but, it lacked one of the most important features of a RPG - respawning enemies, Mass Effect made the same mistake. I practically only play RPGs but, it has to be a proper RPG with all the basic RPG features. What I like most of an RPG is the ability to play it for months, or in the case of Final Fantasy, years on end where there is practically no limits and restrictions. I usually run through the storyline quickly to open up all areas and features and only then start playing it all-out. The trouble with games like KotOR and Mass Effect is that when you follow this style of playing, when everything is open and unlocked and you can start roaming and follow your own feet, there is no enemies left! meaning there is nothing productive left to do in the game. I played games like Boiling Point and STALKER, which I believe should set an example to developers around the world. I also loved the Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy and are currently playing Sacred 2 modded to remove the silly camera restrictions. I am currently looking forward to the release of Numen - a similar game as Sacred with third and first-person camera views, and Precursors - a space sim/action RPG that I think will wipe Mass Effect off the map, due for release in Q2 2009.
 LordOfTheFish
10-20-2008, 4:23 PM
KotOR was a game I really liked but, it lacked one of the most important features of a RPG - respawning enemies, Mass Effect made the same mistake. I practically only play RPGs but, it has to be a proper RPG with all the basic RPG features. What I like most of an RPG is the ability to play it for months, or in the case of Final Fantasy, years on end where there is practically no limits and restrictions. I usually run through the storyline quickly to open up all areas and features and only then start playing it all-out. The trouble with games like KotOR and Mass Effect is that when you follow this style of playing, when everything is open and unlocked and you can start roaming and follow your own feet, there is no enemies left! meaning there is nothing productive left to do in the game. I played games like Boiling Point and STALKER, which I believe should set an example to developers around the world. I also loved the Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy and are currently playing Sacred 2 modded to remove the silly camera restrictions. I am currently looking forward to the release of Numen - a similar game as Sacred with third and first-person camera views, and Precursors - a space sim/action RPG that I think will wipe Mass Effect off the map, due for release in Q2 2009.

Well, to start off with, TFU is not a RPG, which I'm sure you already knew. The enemies do re-spawn, but only after you die (I will add that there is quite a lot of them to). Sadly, there is no way to go back though the levels without completely starting over. All in all, I don't really think you would like it to much.

-Fish-
Page: 1 of 2