Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Anakin Skywalker head TSL

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Cyrax
10-09-2008, 7:03 PM
Oke so there are some anakin's head out there for TSL, but i decided to go take a swing at it to see if i could
make one that looks even more like anakin. :p

this is what i got so far:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3421/previeuwsx6.jpg)

Tell me what you think of it, give me tips/hints, and all that kinda stuff ;)

ow yeah, I still need to make the textures for it!! so just look at the model ;)
I also need to edit the face a bit more (eyes/nose and mouth, i think i am so good as done with the hair.
maybe tweak the jaw a bit too, i'll see)
 Darth Kalverys
10-09-2008, 7:07 PM
You might want to give him a scar over his right (I think, it may be the left, I can never remember) eye. Make his eyes a little darker blue, and make the hair color just a tiny bit darker. But over all, it's really good... I'd download it. If I had TSL.
 Inyri
10-09-2008, 7:11 PM
http://images.killermovies.com/s/starwarsepisodeiii/gallery/starwars3_02.jpg)

Compare. Part should be off-center, jaw is a little too square, and his forehead is a bit larger I think. Some ideas, if you're really serious about making a look-alike model. :)
 Jeff
10-09-2008, 7:13 PM
You might want to give him a scar over his right (I think, it may be the left, I can never remember) eye. Make his eyes a little darker blue, and make the hair color just a tiny bit darker. But over all, it's really good... I'd download it. If I had TSL.

ow yeah, I still need to make the textures for it!! so just look at the model ;):o

Model is looking pretty good so far, look forward to seeing the final product.
 Darth Kalverys
10-09-2008, 7:19 PM
:o

*shrugs* I'm not a modeller... I don't know what textures are. :sweat:
 TriggerGod
10-09-2008, 7:21 PM
*shrugs* I'm not a modeller... I don't know what textures are. :sweat:

If you know how to skin, you know what a texture is.

A texture is the "skin" used by a model. When you UV Map it, you move around UV's to make the model have the texture.

Kind of hard to explain. But, a texture is the skin used by something. Everything has a skin in a game.

EDIT:
Anyways, the model looks pretty good. Although, to me, it looks like he took PFHC05's hair and put it on a male head model...
I think it was PMHC04A. The Jesus/Obi-Wan head.
 Inyri
10-09-2008, 7:24 PM
I'm not a modeller... I don't know what textures are.Educate yourself before posting! (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~georgy/research/texture/thesis-html/node5.html)

If you know how to skin, you know what a texture is.

A texture is the "skin" used by a model. When you UV Map it, you move around UV's to make the model have the texture.

Kind of hard to explain. But, a texture is the skin used by something. Everything has a skin in a game.If you're going to give a definition it's a good idea not to define one technical word with another. If someone doesn't know what the actual definition of a 'skin' is then they won't know what a 'texture' is when you say 'a texture is a skin.'
 Endorenna
10-09-2008, 7:31 PM
It looks pretty good. Stick with the advice above. His hair is too blonde, but it's closer than most of the Anakin heads I've seen before. :)
 SW01
10-09-2008, 8:05 PM
Very good indeed - it looks quite close to the Ep. III Anakin. I second (or third, or whatever) the advice already given - try to put in the scar, less blonde in the hair, and it should be good! I'll be downloading it when it's finished, anyway! :D
 Canderis
10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow thats really good. One tip maby make the head a little rounder it looks a little crushed.
 Darth Cyrax
10-10-2008, 12:49 PM
thank you all for the tips/advice!!

Oh and trigger, you're on to me aren't you :p lol. It was for me the fastest and best way to make his hair, but don't get me wrong, it wasn't just cut and paste. I edited the hair, made it longer, wider placed it a bit differently.

As for the hair, you can see on the picture of anakin that Inyra posted that the hair comes from the right side and is to the left. I could do that (i think :p) but it would take a lot of time for me. And i think it looks good this way to.

The textures/skin/color of the dudes head i'm making/whateeeveeeer you wanna call it (lol) needs to be done. The hair is gonna be a bit darker, the eye collor is gonna be a little bit changed and the scar is gonna be there as well.

To me there is still something odd with the eyes so i'm gonna tweak on that. I'm also gonna make his forehead (or at least TRY) a bit smaller. Maybe his head will get a more round look with that Canderis ;)
And the jaw is gonna be edited to. It's to squire for now. Hmm maybe the mouth as well.

I will look at it tonight and post new screens from the update :D
 Canderis
10-11-2008, 10:23 AM
:eyepop My step bro looks just like that head model
 Darth Cyrax
10-19-2008, 6:27 PM
first..

:eyepop My step bro looks just like that head model

LOL

second..

I have shaped the head some more. i corrected his eyes, i corrected his eyebrows, i corrected his nose, i corrected his mouth, i corrected his jaw.
and then is corrected his skin and hair. and now.... i got THIS....

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4374/previeuw2anakinskywalkepa6.jpg)

His scar was extremely though!!!! it was a pain in my royal ***!!!
but after hours of fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, fixing, trying, etc etc. (you get the idea) i finally got it looking like this. and i know it isn't a perfect straight scar but it's good enough and close enough for me.

so tell me what you think of it ;) is the hair good? or need it to be lighter/darker???

gimme feedback :D
 Jawaluv
10-19-2008, 7:36 PM
Very cool. This updated version is rockin'.
 Salzella
10-20-2008, 8:34 AM
i think the hair needs to be sliiiiightly lighter, and the skin more tanned perhaps? either way, that's awesome work :D
 The Betrayer
10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Is it just me or the eyes are too small?
 Darth Payne
10-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Looks fine to me.
 redrob41
10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
It's looking good so far. It seems to me that you've got enough skill and attention to detail that if you make any more tweeks, that they'll be the right ones :thumbsup:

Have you tried it in game yet? It would be a shame to do all this work, only to find out that there might be problems when compiling it. I'm really hoping that there aren't any problems :sweat: :crosses fingers:
 Darth Xander
10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
OMG That head model has my hair!! :haw: Just make the fringe go up to his neck and its my hair :p If you have time could you do that and send me the head model variant please? I will fully credit you if it turns into a mod. Thanks

~Xander
 Darth Cyrax
10-20-2008, 6:35 PM
oke so i tried to get it in game and this is the problem.
I exported the head, used the replacer and stuff and put the files into the override folder, started a new game, went to the head that i edited and there was NO head... the guy is head-less.

I tried it all over again. i got a different head from kotor tool, got it in 3ds, exported it, used replacer, put files in override folder and same problem.
note: i did not edit the head in 3ds!!

any help on what could be the problem??

i used Trex tutorial (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=193025), and did all those steps.

note: when i was using replacer and i did the .mdx file the first couple of times i got this error message:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1350/erormessagetc4.jpg)

After a couple of times he made the file. don't know if it was the right file, i assumed he got it right eventually but i'm doubting right now.

So can anyone help me?? what did i do wrong?

p.s. you got a PM xander
 MudRat_02
10-21-2008, 2:08 AM
That head is awesome, I'll download it for sure. It looks alot like jacen solo though :P
 redrob41
10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
note: when i was using replacer and i did the .mdx file the first couple of times i got this error message:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1350/erormessagetc4.jpg)

That message always comes up the first time you try to "open ASCII Models" for each model you're working on (sometime the second and third times too).
Just re-do the open files, and re-select the ascii files you need. That shouldn't be causing the problem.
 Darth Cyrax
10-21-2008, 2:25 PM
so what would be causing the problem that i can't get the head in the game???? anyone idea's?
 redrob41
10-21-2008, 5:32 PM
so what would be causing the problem that i can't get the head in the game???? anyone idea's?

What do your heads.2da & appearance.2da & portraits.2da look like? Could you post a screenshot, or paste the code? That would be a big help for a diagnosis.
 Pilato
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Aren't there any new facts about this work?
 svцsh
11-04-2008, 1:13 PM
Unfortunately you can't change the number of verts on your new head from the binary models used to compile with :( a major roadblock in new head editing.

I have tried to trick Taina's replacer, by using an edited ascii head to build me new binary mdl and mdx .

The .mdl can be built but the .mdx always gives me errors. I thought if I change the number of verts on my model in max. Export it force the replacer to build me new mdl mdx then use them as the *original* binary models to compile from.

The problem is the mdx is incomplete and most likely the mdl is damaged as well, so my final product i had a head floating a foot off to the side of the neck with no animations, but no surprise really.

I heard rumors of someone who has added new mesh to a head and have it in game, but I have yet to see it and know nothing more about it. :(

The odd thing is mdlops will compile full body's with heads and the animations all remain but try to compile a head and it kills your animations.

svösh
 Sithspecter
11-04-2008, 1:21 PM
I heard rumors of someone who has added new mesh to a head and have it in game, but I have yet to see it and know nothing more about it. :(

Settoken added a mesh to a head. He has a method of doing it explained here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=188885). I have personally tested out this head and it works fine. I'm not sure what the limitations are, but it's certainly a start.
 Darth Cyrax
11-04-2008, 3:00 PM
as for the anakin head, the work on it has stopped for the moment.
I am done with tsl for the moment. Just bought mass effect :p

that doesn't mean i won't finish (or at least try to) finish this head.
I know that for the moment there is no possibility's for adding meshes to the head and get it working good in game, with the exception of the progress Settoken made.
I am pretty sure that there is a way to make heads (with or without animations) with extra meshes on it and get it working in game. We just haven't found out how exactly.

i want to thank you already for the help and information you have provided me so far and i WILL finish this anakin head. and get it in game eventually.
 svцsh
11-04-2008, 3:16 PM
Sithspecter I see thats very interesting and good news:) well I found his hex edit pic on the last page of the thread and copied it but I'm unsure if I replaced all the hex code to fully replace or not. A more complete tut would have helped alot more anyways i'll try again and see what happens.

As a personal test I added 4 rings to the pfch04 in k1 , one eyebrow ring and 3 earrings. linked to the aroura base nothing fancy. I compiled the head like I do body's skin mesh and with settoken's hex edit it worked more or less. Less as all animations where lost some place and the head had a slight tilt to it but the rings appeared on my model just fine. and my head was in the right place I used mdlops 0.5 to do this I wonder if I would have better luck with 0.6.4
here you can see my first test. http://svoshsphotos.fotopic.net/p54719873.html)

Darth Cyrax sorry I'm not trying to hijack your thread, good work on your head btw, try this method out maybe it's just females it has trouble with as stated in the other thread.

svösh
 HK-42
11-04-2008, 8:44 PM
I hope this mod will be finished becasuse I yet to have a new head for my tsl game...but first I got to find my disc 1...

Great Job so far
 Darth Cyrax
11-05-2008, 1:06 PM
I know svösh ;) maybe i got it wrong but the anakin head is a male head not a female!
it got the hair of a female head but the head itself is male.
But it is possible to add meshes (the rings you try ed out) to a head huh. hmm than the hair shouldn't be a problem as well.

you said something about problems with .mdx? could those problems have the result of no head showing up in game?!
 svцsh
11-05-2008, 2:30 PM
I never said your head was female? But the one I tested with was. It's supposedly more difficult for some reason to hex the female head then the males , and my animations where lost in the process on my test at least.

No the mdx issue was with Taina's replacer, you can only use Settoken's method with your swapped hair. Use mdlops but compile like body skin mesh afterwards you hex edit the .mdl

Since your head is a males it shouldn't be to tough to get it working maybe i just replaced a byte or 2 too many in my hex edit. But i think the code in dark blue is what you want from his picture. Mdlops normally will kill anims on heads and displace the head as well, Settoken's method to hexedit will align the head back in place taking the original alignment from the games bin mdl and replace it with the corrupted one on your new bin mdl I think the animation scale is in there too. if you open the ascii in notepad you can read your model in plain text.

Maybe i'll try a second dry run no additions and see if anims are still killed on my females head. could be the rings only being linked didn't go over well. But using mdlops for this breaks any restrictions we once had for heads. providing we can all hex them afterwards to make them work

If you haven't ever compiled skin mesh for k1 or k2 then look this tut over http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=151385)

so good luck :) hope you have success

svösh
 vanir
11-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I look forward to any new head models for tsl, I don't really like the standard ones much to tell the truth. One question though, will it have Anakin's whiney personality? :P

Gawd I was so happy when Obi Wan finally hacked him into bits but even then he wouldn't stop whining. I realise how he hunted down the remaining jedi in the galaxy leading up to ANH...he was so annoying they actually killed themselves, whilst Ben Kenobi became a drunkard and Yoda smoked weed. Lots and lots of weed trying to escape all memory of his annoying personality.
 DarthJacen
11-07-2008, 2:35 PM
No need to quote the whole post. Save some space. Tks. -RH
so tell me what you think of it ;) is the hair good? or need it to be lighter/darker???

gimme feedback :D

Somebody should contact Hayden Christensen about this mod! If you ever finish it, you should send him a copy. I'm told he is, just, as much a gamer as we are.

I would be thrilled if my head wound up in Knight of the Old Republic, or it's sequel. If you could make this for K1, that would be even better since Revan is LS Male canonically.

Anyway, good work, I hope you figure out how to finish it all!
 vanir
11-07-2008, 2:45 PM
The eyes need to be bigger (give him an almost manga look) and the upper lip a bit straighter (more pouty effect gained on the lower lip). Putting in a bit of character to the face is what would give it the trademark "Anakin" appearance. Cartoonists sometimes do this, even if strictly speaking it departs from a neutral photographic live art depiction. Strangely this technique actually tends to look more like the original in a rendering, something about the way people see other people by charaquature as much as physically.

IMHO

Nice work btw. I always found gmax/gimp/etc. entirely too tedious to have ever even begun to learn, I don't even sketch/cartoon anymore (now I write).
 ZimmMaster
11-17-2008, 6:38 PM
MY GOD!!! This is the best Anakin head mod I've seen yet. I cannot wait for it to be released.
 DarthYuugi
12-13-2008, 3:30 PM
Good work

cant wait for the release

no offense but it doesent look like anakin......but
i like it as a pc head by itself
so please finish this as theres not many good heads for tsl
hope all works out well :D
 DarthJacen
12-22-2008, 6:40 PM
Good work

cant wait for the release

no offense but it doesent look like anakin......but
i like it as a pc head by itself
so please finish this as theres not many good heads for tsl
hope all works out well :D

Boy, I didn't expect this thread to die. It must be because he can't figure out how to fix the in-game bugs. That's a shame because I was looking forward to this one.
 redrob41
12-23-2008, 1:09 AM
Boy, I didn't expect this thread to die. It must be because he can't figure out how to fix the in-game bugs. That's a shame because I was looking forward to this one.

Well, recently Quanon made a simple step by step guide that might do the trick. Darth Cyrax, if you re-check the thread by Settoken (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=188885&page=3) (post #99), you might be able to make things work.
 DarthJacen
12-23-2008, 2:41 AM
Well, recently Quanon made a simple step by step guide that might do the trick. Darth Cyrax, if you re-check the thread by Settoken (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=188885&page=3) (post #99), you might be able to make things work.

Good! It's an excellent likeness of Hayden Christensen.
 Nero Eindride
12-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Realy hope you finish it.
And I think you should make the eyes larger(Just my opinion)
 ZimmMaster
12-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Realy hope you finish it.
And I think you should make the eyes larger(Just my opinion)

I was just getting ready to say that he should make the pupils more dialated and make the eye color a brown instead of blue.
 venom2099
12-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Why brown? Anakin's eyes are blue.
 ZimmMaster
12-23-2008, 2:11 PM
Why brown? Anakin's eyes are blue.

They do seem blue when his eyes are reflecting the blade of his lightsaber but this (http://dirtyharrysplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/anakin-jedi.jpg) picture of Anakin with his saber deactivated show his eyes are brown if not green and if the link shows the picture too small, here is a bigger picture.
http://e.imagehost.org/0865/anakin-jedi.jpg)
 venom2099
12-23-2008, 2:33 PM
Have you ever watched the clone wars? And Uhm that picture is way to pixelized to even tell if there dark blue green or brown.
 Darth_OBlivion
12-23-2008, 2:57 PM
They do seem blue when his eyes are reflecting the blade of his lightsaber but this (http://dirtyharrysplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/anakin-jedi.jpg) picture of Anakin with his saber deactivated show his eyes are brown if not green and if the link shows the picture too small, here is a bigger picture.
http://e.imagehost.org/0865/anakin-jedi.jpg)

Uh dude your wrong, Anakin has blue eyes. He's a image for you to see. (Should be big enough.)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/8/85/37762_cx_%282%29.jpg)
 ZimmMaster
12-23-2008, 4:37 PM
Have you ever watched the clone wars? And Uhm that picture is way to pixelized to even tell if there dark blue green or brown.

Yes, I have watched the clone wars and I suppose that picture is too pixelized.

Uh dude your wrong, Anakin has blue eyes. He's a image for you to see. (Should be big enough.)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/8/85/37762_cx_%282%29.jpg)

Okay with that rather large picture I have to put a hidden tag on, I see I was wrong. My appologies.
 DarthJacen
12-23-2008, 7:08 PM
I'll drink to that.

Someone needs to send this to him after it's done. I hear he's a big gamer.

You heard that, right, watch the making of video from the ROTS video game. He, personally, helped them get Anakin, just right. Along with the stunt coordinator, Nick Gillard, that game is still the most authentic when it comes to lightsaber technique.

Anyway, I hope, Darth Cyrax comes back and finishes this. It's good!
 Jae Onasi
12-23-2008, 8:54 PM
Since this thread is getting a lot of bumps and Darth Cyrax hasn't been on in awhile, I'm closing it until he comes back. Darth Cyrax, please contact any of us on staff to re-open the thread whenever you'd like. Thanks.
Page: 1 of 1