Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bastilla: Like her or hate her

Page: 1 of 3
 Endorenna
10-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Okay, I got to wondering this, and I couldn't resist. :D

What do you think of Bastilla?
 Inyri
10-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Bastila has a very compelling character. On the surface she seems haughty and shallow (which in and of itself is unusual for a Jedi), but she obviously has some inner demons regarding the Force and the Jedi Code, and her game-long battle with it makes for a very interesting character.

You don't see that kind of thing in the films. In the films it's all either 'lol light Jedi' or 'lol dark Jedi' or 'lol light Jedi that becomes dark Jedi.' The lol's are for emphasis. >_>
 mimartin
10-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Bastila has a very compelling character. On the surface she seems haughty and shallow (which in and of itself is unusual for a Jedi), but she obviously has some inner demons regarding the Force and the Jedi Code, and her game-long battle with it makes for a very interesting character.Well said.

I agree with Inyri, I liked Bastila better playing as a female PC because I really did not care for the romance dialog. Even so, she is still my second favorite NPC in either KOTOR or TSL.
 Ultimate Vader
10-08-2008, 10:53 PM
She's just like other character for me. Nothing special about her. She looks cute, and she has battle meditation, but she's too weak, remember when Malak tortures her, that's the scene I'm referring to. Just lightning like that and she gives up? She's hot, but too weak to become a Jedi (wait, I sound like Desann).
 Inyri
10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
IIRC he was torturing her for weeks. If you recall, she didn't break in the displayed cutscene.
 Ultimate Vader
10-08-2008, 11:08 PM
That's right. I said "just lightning like that" because her face looks brave. :)
 Hayden Kered
10-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I think she was awesome! My first play through of the game I had no clue of the romance between Bastila and Revan. (I never got that far in dialog.) So she was more like a big sister guiding me through the game.

As for her character, she played a big part in an important era! Without her the story line would not have been the same.
 Corinthian
10-09-2008, 1:15 AM
I really like her character - until she's captured by Malak. Then she becomes a little ridiculous. "Ooh, Look at me, I'm so evil. EEVIL. EEEEEEEEEEEVIL. But I love you, and you're not evil, so I can't be evil" Geez.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
10-09-2008, 1:17 AM
a deep, fun, really well made character!
IMO she's awesome! not to mention good looking :D (IMO cute over hot)
i didnt have any inkling of romance when i started either.
#2 k1 char in my book!

oh, and its 'Bastila'. one 'L' ;)
it stinks about the "amnesia on templetop" thing. she forgets she loves revan if revan talks to her after the kiss. if he doesnt, there is different (and IMO way better) dialogue on the temple. its kinda weird...
 Ultimate Vader
10-09-2008, 1:43 AM
Number one is Revan, isn't it ?

Visas Marr is hotter than Bastila I think :)
 Bastila Sham
10-09-2008, 1:52 AM
Love her!

There is a wicked party girl under that stodgy upper crust facade. :xp:
 Ultimate Vader
10-09-2008, 1:56 AM
Who's that wicked party girl?
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
10-09-2008, 2:06 AM

mhmm:D
 Ultimate Vader
10-09-2008, 2:10 AM
mhmm:D

Of course. You can't play KOTOR 1 if you dislike Revan :D
 ChAiNz.2da
10-09-2008, 3:11 AM
Bastila has a very compelling character. On the surface she seems haughty and shallow (which in and of itself is unusual for a Jedi), but she obviously has some inner demons regarding the Force and the Jedi Code, and her game-long battle with it makes for a very interesting character.

You don't see that kind of thing in the films. In the films it's all either 'lol light Jedi' or 'lol dark Jedi' or 'lol light Jedi that becomes dark Jedi.' The lol's are for emphasis. >_>

Inyri said it best... and as far as K1 characters go, other than Jolee, Bastila had a deeper role for my playthroughs than the others. :)
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
10-09-2008, 3:14 AM
Of course. You can't play KOTOR 1 if you dislike Revan
actually some people do!
 Corinthian
10-09-2008, 3:24 AM
Revan has no real character, so I can't see how so many people love him. Hating him mystifies me as well.
 Sabretooth
10-09-2008, 4:27 AM
I never really thought of Bastila very much: she made me really hate her at some instances, and that should be a compliment to the game's brilliant character design. Still, although she looked and spoke sexy, I cannot say I had much of an opinion regarding her.

Revan has no real character, so I can't see how so many people love him. Hating him mystifies me as well.
Agreed! I thought Revan had a cool helmet and all, but technically speaking, Revan has no voice, gender, personality, practically nothing. One interpretation of Revan can be vastly different from another. I have also been mystified, on coming to this forum, as to how so many people seem to think him the coolest person that ever lived.
 Corinthian
10-09-2008, 5:15 AM
Because he's the player character.
 Sabretooth
10-09-2008, 5:18 AM
So? I never saw Vaultboy or Generic Character from NWN get as much praise.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-09-2008, 5:41 AM
Of course I like her. Who doesn't?
 Corinthian
10-09-2008, 5:52 AM
The difference being that Revan actually was given a character - that character can basically boil down to this.

Kotor 1: Revan was a Sith Lord. He died, officially. He was a great strategist but betrayed us all.

Kotor 2: OMIGOSH REVAN IS SO AWESOME HE THE GREATEST JEDI EVAR.

Seriously, if Canon Sue ever applied anywhere, it applies to Revan. The only worse ones I can think of are Eragon and Edward Cullen.
 Ultimate Vader
10-09-2008, 6:47 AM
No, not everybody think Revan's the coolest. I don't think Revan's the coolest (he's cool but not the top one). Actually, it's his robe that looks cool for me :)
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
10-09-2008, 7:26 AM
Seriously, if Canon Sue ever applied anywhere, it applies to Revan. The only worse ones I can think of are Eragon and Edward Cullen.
sure, revan can be taken any way. cause thats how he was designed- very adaptable.
this makes anyone make him ideal in their own eyes. the writers will probably cut down his sue-ness sometime. but i dont know... they can do it for pre amnesiac k1 revan easily, but post amnesiac revan will be dangerous territory. unless they want to go canonize him, which they seem to *not* want to do. and if they make revan a certain way, it will undoubtedly make some fans ticked off and that endangers the moolah. maybe it'll happen when they think they've milked kotor enough.
i personally like revan because he was canonized lightside. now when you 'step out' of kotor, and see the PC saying all those lightside options, you get a personality for him. its the same when you do it with dark side. but i never got the 'REVAN IS AWESOME' thing from k2. all i got was a little conversation with kreia explaining what happened to him. maybe its there, but i didnt feel it. i wonder how they'll handle him.
i wonder if they ever will. but heck, *i* (being revan fan) wouldnt mind either way :D
 Ultimate Vader
10-09-2008, 7:30 AM
If people say Revan is cool in KOTOR 1, then the same thing applies to Jedi Exile in KOTOR 2, right? :D
 Corinthian
10-09-2008, 3:44 PM
Did you EVER talk to Kreia, JIGOS? Half her conversations are crap like

"Revan was like staring into the Heart of the Force"

"Revan beat them all"

"Revan never truly fell"

Meanwhile, I want to do a flying spin-kick into my own characters face and tear it clean off just so I can get her to shut up.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-09-2008, 5:10 PM
Revan's overrated. I like Malak.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
10-09-2008, 5:29 PM
If people say Revan is cool in KOTOR 1, then the same thing applies to Jedi Exile in KOTOR 2, right?
actually, no! i have both games. but i'm not an exile fan. i mean, she's cool, but my preference is revan. i've also played jedi academy, but im not a jaden korr fan. i prefer kyle katarn. and its not because of the 'character that got in first', because i played jedi outcast way after i played academy. (and i used to absolutely *love* JA. i dont anymore FYI)
Did you EVER talk to Kreia, JIGOS? Half her conversations are crap like

"Revan was like staring into the Heart of the Force"

"Revan beat them all"

"Revan never truly fell"

Meanwhile, I want to do a flying spin-kick into my own characters face and tear it clean off just so I can get her to shut up.

lol! i just took it as, 'well. now i know how it happened'. more than anything, i got it from k1. what, with all that about canderous long talks of revan's military genius, all the masters in the enclave commenting on how incredibly talented the PL is, and bastila thinking she pales in comparison to revan in her mind.
Revan's overrated. I like Malak.

malak looks SO much better with hair! is it confirmed how he lost his jaw? cause there's that ol joke that he lost his jaw trying to shave with his lightsaber. have you heard his last name?
 Corinthian
10-09-2008, 5:50 PM
Jaden doesn't have any fans. Nobody likes him.

Anyway, yeah, KotoR 1 had the same kind of thing, but most of that was fairly reasonable - you were a great Jedi and a skilled strategist. KotoR 2 takes that and dials it up to eleven.
 Astor
10-09-2008, 5:56 PM
malak looks SO much better with hair! is it confirmed how he lost his jaw? cause there's that ol joke that he lost his jaw trying to shave with his lightsaber. have you heard his last name?

Squinquargesimus? Yes, i've heard it. It sucks.

And, as far as I know, Revan cut off his Jaw.
 Yar-El
10-09-2008, 5:56 PM
Okay, I got to wondering this, and I couldn't resist. :D
What do you think of Bastilla? My friend has the same attitude, so I have to like her in some manner. Bastila is both strong and emotional. I liked her strength at the start, but I didn't like how the character was played out as a darksider. She started to look too weak, and I was hoping for a stronger female darkside character. It would have been nice if she backstabbed Revan, so she could rule the Sith by herself. :D
 TKA-001
10-09-2008, 6:15 PM
My view: Bastila is just another character. Not particularly bad or especially good. If I was to place her character in a one-word category I'd go with "Fine".
 SW01
10-09-2008, 7:15 PM
I thought Bastila was best among the KotOR characters. All of them were extremely well crafted in terms of background and general amiability (well, except for T3...) but I found the interactions with Bastila to be the most entertaining (with Jolee a veeery close second.:D)

And seeing I always inevitably ended up as Darth Revan (even when I triedreally hard to play LS) I like the dark Bastila twist. So much so that I usually change her alignment and put her in Dark Jedi robes as soon as I leave Dantooine!
 Lance Monance
10-10-2008, 5:27 AM
Even so, she is still my second favorite NPC in either KOTOR or TSL.
Who's your favorite NPC? :)

@topic
Bastila was quite compelling. Gifted in the force, arrogant due to that, but at the same time unable to keep her emotions in check..

One of the best Kotor NPCs. But TSL features more interesting (but less likeable) characters.
 Ultimate Vader
10-10-2008, 5:55 AM
For every SW fans : Kreia DESCRIBED Revan as the heat of the force. It is because Revan is Kreia's best student. And you should know that she's a liar. Remember her lesson for the Jedi Exile about distrust is an effective shield?

Kreia praises Revan like when Palpatine praises Anakin everytime (but some of them are true, actually, such as Anakin's skill and power). Please don't get mad at me because of my statement. I'm not an anti-Revan, actually I'm a Revan fan, I just want to make the "heart of the force" thing clear.
 Lance Monance
10-10-2008, 6:03 AM
For every SW fans : Kreia DESCRIBED Revan as the heat of the force. It is because Revan is Kreia's best student. And you should know that she's a liar. Remember her lesson for the Jedi Exile about distrust is an effective shield?

Kreia praises Revan like when Palpatine praises Anakin everytime (but some of them are true, actually, such as Anakin's skill and power). Please don't get mad at me because of my statement. I'm not an anti-Revan, actually I'm a Revan fan, I just want to make the "heart of the force" thing clear.

Kreia seemed to hold Revan in a very high regard and I think she was telling the truth (= her opinion). Also, I don't think "heart of the force" is to be taken literally.

Edit: And why would it make sense to lie about Revan to the Exile? She should know a good deal about Revan's capabilities anyway, since she was a rather important figure in the mandalorian war.
 mimartin
10-10-2008, 8:38 AM
Who's your favorite NPC? :) Mira :)
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-10-2008, 1:13 PM
Your words are mine. Although I found her darkside personality a little too forced.
 Burnseyy
10-13-2008, 5:42 PM
I voted for 'Meh, she's okay' solely because... well, her character's all round good, except for when she starts going dark side.
She yaps on for a bit (understatement?) at the start about 'ohh darkside is bad' and then she just drops this bombshell on you, and she's completely changed.

Just doesn't happen, if you ask me. :]

Apart from that - annoying, yeah, but so was everyone in their own way.

Visas Marr is hotter than Bastila I think :)

How can you judge that on Visas' half a face? lol
 Astor
10-13-2008, 5:49 PM
Just doesn't happen, if you ask me. :]

To be fair, she was being interrogated and tortured by the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Apart from that - annoying, yeah, but so was everyone in their own way.

So do you actually like the game or not? :xp:

Regards the hotter thing - Visas has no eyes.
 mimartin
10-13-2008, 6:02 PM
How can you judge that on Visas' half a face? lolhttp://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/c3/Visas.jpg)
She is hot. :D
 Q
10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
I really like her character - until she's captured by Malak. Then she becomes a little ridiculous. "Ooh, Look at me, I'm so evil. EEVIL. EEEEEEEEEEEVIL. But I love you, and you're not evil, so I can't be evil" Geez.One of many reasons why the DS ending is better.
 Corinthian
10-14-2008, 1:13 AM
Not really. It follows 'Yahtzee's Rule of Alternate Endings' - either your ending is you becoming a friendly neighborhood Sith Lord Hero of the Republic, or you become a Dog-Kicking Galaxy-Burning monster. Why can't the Hero of the Republic burn him some galaxies, kick a dog here and there?
 RedHawke
10-14-2008, 2:08 AM
Why can't the Hero of the Republic burn him some galaxies, kick an Ewok here and there?
Fixed! :D
 Arбtoeldar
10-14-2008, 2:48 AM

Which is why she is my second favorite KotOR character after Kreia.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
10-14-2008, 6:57 AM
was visas modelled after kelly hu as bastila with jennifer hale?
i think kelly hu is a model or something. not sure.
she doesnt look bad in that pic... where is it from?
 Gothic90
10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
she's good looking, or sexy--if mods are installed

but she's just another Aribeth created by Bioware, nothing more...

similar good-look and different-from-common accent
similar betrayal
similar "romance" and return

etc...
 mattig89ch
10-14-2008, 1:52 PM
she's the batilla of the K2 universe!!!
 Q
10-14-2008, 2:48 PM
she's good looking, or sexy--if mods are installed

but she's just another Aribeth created by Bioware, nothing more...

similar good-look and different-from-common accent
similar betrayal
similar "romance" and return

etc...Which is why I'm glad I hadn't played NWN's OC before I played KotOR1, as it would have spoiled KotOR, and KotOR did it better in any event. As a matter of fact, I wish I'd never played NWN's OC at all. :p
 Feagildin
10-14-2008, 3:01 PM
Bastila was one of the best Kotor characters, imo. Until she turned DS. The only thing I never liked about her role in the game: you can't kill her with the DS ending. Bah! Humbug!
Page: 1 of 3