Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Janice Nall - KotOR 1

Page: 1 of 1
 Xeer2
09-21-2008, 9:08 PM
I am new to modding, just starting this past week, but I haven't done anything spectacular. I did play with the NWN toolset extensivly though, so I can script pretty well.

My idea for modding came from the overall uselessness of T3 in KotOR, and how little you can develop his personality. I want to add the Twilik(sp?) Janice Nall, the one who gives you T3, to your party, just because she'd be cool, but I'm stuck.

First off, I don't really know how to develop her character, or what class to be, ect. I figured I'd be a scout, as sort of middle ground, and make her sort of neutral, but this makes for a boring character, unless her personality is really good.

I also read about making a puppet, like Bao-Dur's remote, and thought that would be cool for T3-M4, to still have him but also get Janice. I'm not entirley sure if you can do this in KotOr 1, though.

Another problem I have is putting the characters into the game. I got lost in the threads that explained spawning, and confused the methods.

I just want some feedback and help, please, and any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!
 ForeverNight
09-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I'd suggest a scoundrel, but that's just me.

No, puppets are TSL only, so no T3-M4 for now. However, I imagine that you could create a system of Janice leaving and T3 coming and then vice-versa.

E.G. "Janice, I don't think we'll need you right now, T3 will be handier."
"Got it, T3... where are you?" -Janice leaves party, T3 joins party

Here's a handy recruit tutorial: D3 Create a Recruit in 10 easy steps! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=131944)

That should have everything you need.

Welcome to modding!
 Xeer2
09-22-2008, 8:00 AM
Thanks!

Hey, would I be able to run a ForceFollow command on T3, to make him follow Janice like a makeshift puppet? I knid of want them to be a pair.
 Darth Payne
09-22-2008, 8:41 AM
The good thing about this idea is that there are plenty of VO files to use.

Btw, are you going to make her a Jedi? Or Sith?
 Xeer2
09-22-2008, 5:52 PM
I was going to make it dependant on the player. You could have her trained on dantooine, or on korriban, so you could have her as a sith or a jedi. She'd start off as a neutral scout/scoundrel, and then be trained to whatever you wanted(ie. consular, sentinel, or guardian.)
 Darth Payne
09-22-2008, 5:55 PM
This mod is sounding better and better.

Having her trained at either of those is a very good idea.
 ForeverNight
09-22-2008, 6:28 PM
Hey, would I be able to run a ForceFollow command on T3, to make him follow Janice like a makeshift puppet? I knid of want them to be a pair.

I don't think so, since then you'd have to create a global that would reset itself every time you entered a new area and then attach a script to the onheartbeat section that spawned T3... No, I don't think you could do that, sorry.

I was going to make it dependant on the player. You could have her trained on dantooine, or on korriban, so you could have her as a sith or a jedi. She'd start off as a neutral scout/scoundrel, and then be trained to whatever you wanted(ie. consular, sentinel, or guardian.)

That makes great sense! However, I think that it should be more depended on the Alignment of the Character. Let's say you realized that you haven't trained Janice, and you're on Korribban. She's with you so you just hop right to it... however, you're good aligned... but she turns into Super-Evil-Guardian-Twi'lek...

However, I don't know how to check out the Alignment of the player in that type of script. Sorry.
 Xeer2
09-22-2008, 6:52 PM
I was searching through the functions, and I think I know how to check alignments.

Not good for T3, though. Maybe I'll just replace him completley, or have him just stay on the ship instead, for nostalgic reasons. He's cool in TSL, though, so I can love and use him there.

Also, does anyone have any ideas for a special quest involving her? I want to completely add her to the game, like she was meant to b e there.
 ForeverNight
09-22-2008, 6:57 PM
Also, does anyone have any ideas for a special quest involving her? I want to completely add her to the game, like she was meant to b e there

Hmm.... Maybe your on Tatooine and she sees Griff and decides that he's the Twi'lek for her and you have to show he that, no, he's not....

I have absolutely no idea!

As for T3... keep him on the Ebon Hawk and when you talk to Janice the first time just tell her that she can take "that stupid little droid along" or hers or "T3's okay to come along... you never know when you're gonna need a Utility Droid"

I still like the idea of switching between T3 and Janice, but that's likely to get tedious and frustrating to script... so I'll just leave it to you to figure out what you want.
 Xeer2
09-22-2008, 7:06 PM
The switching sounds cool, and I'll at least attempt it. It might be a little over my head, though, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Griff and Janice romance? That sounds, well, like there'd be some tension between mission and her... But, don't know how well I could do it, so...
 Darth Payne
09-22-2008, 7:19 PM
Or, Janice is Griffs ex.

And Griff almost cost Janice her shop, so running into Griff would really make her angry.

If you're dark side you could talk her into killing him, and if you're lightside you'd talk her out of it.

Kinda like the thing with Juhani and Xor where you can almost talk her into killing him.
 Xeer2
09-22-2008, 7:27 PM
That would be cool. It would be hard to tie that into the Mission side quest though, because then I'd have to completley do that, too, or at least add extra options after you rescue him or somthing.

I only encountered the juhani qust once, and it messed up my game, making me stuck in a black pit of doom while juhani killed him.
 jedi7000nathan
09-22-2008, 9:31 PM
the trick to that juhani quest is you don't know what planet he will show up on
 Xeer2
09-22-2008, 9:51 PM
I was thinking of adding some of Daviks men who were not on Taris looking for their money back, or somthing. the would be interesting, and a good way to get rid of T3, for those who wanted to. Or maybe she could find one of her long lost relatives or such, somthing that would be easy to script and set up, but not easy that it would be simple for the player to do.

As for the training, I could just make it you have to be on one of those planets to train her yourself, because "the force is strong there" or somthing, and then you could choose her alignment. Like in TSL, when you convert Bao-dur to a jedi, if your dark side, you tell him to embrace the memories and hate from Malanchor, or if your light side, you tell him to move on and find peace. I guess I could do somthing like that.

Today, I started editing the .utc file for her, and starting her conversation. apparently, she was a level 1 jedi guardian. I guess it's just the default or somthing.
 Darth Payne
09-23-2008, 7:23 AM
Hey, wasn't there a massacre of padawans on taris?

Maybe Janice is a survivor?

Canon says there was a survivor, who is to say that there couldn't be another?
 ForeverNight
09-23-2008, 9:29 AM
Hmmm.... Davik's men wanting some Credits sounds like a good idea... just have them spawn on like Dantooine or Tatooine and set the on-notice field to start a dialog...

You'd need to create a global: JaniceQuestOne or something of the like... and the dialog would check first if Janice was in the party, second if JaniceQuestOne had been set....

Yeah, that might just work... however, some more depth might be required...

As for the Janice-Griff, it was more a joke than anything, after all, that slimeball drives me nuts!
 Ulmont
09-23-2008, 5:24 PM
Sounds cool! I admire you for jumping right in with a big, cool, mod! Look forward to downloading it when it's done.

What you could do is a script that executes on a dialogue, that would be easy, like janicget DS points.... IDK I'm not a scripter...
 Xeer2
09-23-2008, 5:29 PM
There's a 2da that contains Global variables, right? I'll see if I can sift through these files and find it...

I'm planning to do the Davik's men quest, and also to add a side quest involving the Ithorian who sells you HK-47 on Tatooine (BTW, I always thought that Ithorians would shrivel up if they went to Tatooine XD.) Janice can repar this droid, and she finds somthing in it. Treasure map, perhaps?
 ForeverNight
09-23-2008, 9:02 PM
There's a 2da that contains Global variables, right? I'll see if I can sift through these files and find it...

Yep, globals.2da.

I'm planning to do the Davik's men quest, and also to add a side quest involving the Ithorian who sells you HK-47 on Tatooine (BTW, I always thought that Ithorians would shrivel up if they went to Tatooine XD.) Janice can repar this droid, and she finds somthing in it. Treasure map, perhaps?

Hmmm... that should be interesting... a hidden weapons cache maybe?
 zbyl2
09-24-2008, 5:50 AM
Yep, globals.2da.
It's globalcat.2da.
 Xiskio
09-24-2008, 8:43 AM
Regarding T3 as a puppet.

I am new to KoTOR modding as well and have an idea that I dont know if it would work.

If you use ActionForceFollowObject like you already suggested, wouldn't it be possible to attach an onheartbeat script to T3 checking how far away Janice is and If the distance is greater than x, teleport to her and call ActionForceFollowObject again?
 ForeverNight
09-24-2008, 9:26 AM
It's globalcat.2da.

Darn it!

That's what I get for just thinking about it quickly instead of checking it out!

Thanks, Zbyl2
 Xeer2
09-24-2008, 7:53 PM
Possible Plots: *SLIGHT SPOILERS*
( I do want some feedback and suggestions, though.)

Romance?

Fight at star Forge/Unknown planet, according to Revan's and her's alignment.

Dantooine Droid Husband Quest.
On Dantooine, there is a crazy lady who thinks her droid is her husband, and I want to give Janice some dialogue there, and another possible outcome.

Tatooine Droid Quest
This would be a new quest I added, somthing to do with Janice discovering a "treasure map" of sorts in a droid she is fixing, or somthing. Then, can find the "treasure" on Tatooine.

Taris
I was thinking of adding two Janice quests on Taris. The first and most important being braking into the sith base, and helping you in there.
The second would involve sabatoging the fight between Revan and Bendak Starkiller. I don't want to go to much into this quest, as it would be one of the better and more original ones.

Well, tell me what you think, and If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to post them.
 Darth Payne
09-24-2008, 7:59 PM
They all sound like good ideas to me.

Hey, perhaps she'd recognize one of the Dantooine Jedi? From when she was a youngling at the Taris Jedi Enclave.
 DarthMelissa
09-24-2008, 8:59 PM
Hmmm Maybe a romance involved? and if there is it could it be for male and female pc's?
 Xeer2
09-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Hmmm Maybe a romance involved? and if there is it could it be for male and female pc's?

I'm probably going to make the romance available to both Male and Female PC's, just so everyone can get the most out of the mod ( and so Idon't seem sexist).

Another plot device I want to add in is the inter party banter, the ones triggered by, well, triggers, on certan planets. Any advice, or tutorials to look for? I especialy want the desruction of Taris to come up between Janice and Mission.
Page: 1 of 1