Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Winzip Self Extractor Problems

Page: 1 of 1
 Astor
09-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi all.

I've got a demo of Space Siege that i'm trying to play, but it's using a Self Extractor.

The problem is that the drive it extracts to doesn't have enough space for it go to. Is there a way of changing the location that the files are extracted to?

I've tried looking for information, but couldn't find very much.

Thanks, Astor.
 ChAiNz.2da
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Odd that it has a pre-set extraction path that you can't edit.

Is it extracting it to the drive where the file lives (likes it's supposed to) or do they have it set to self-install in some wonky c:/path/path/path?
 Astor
09-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Odd that it has a pre-set extraction path that you can't edit.

Is it extracting it to the drive where the file lives (likes it's supposed to) or do they have it set to self-install in some wonky c:/path/path/path?

It always extracts to my system drive, with all the windows information on it. But that drive is small because it was designed to hold only system information.

If I could get into the bloody thing I could tell you what path it has, but it won't even let me select a destination.

EDIT: I have fixed it - I copied the .exe from the disc to another drive, and right clicked 'extract files here' with WinRAR. Sorted!
 Astrotoy7
09-24-2008, 2:28 AM
with most extractors nowdays, you can just use winrar from scratch to unravel to desktop/wherever you want. I do this with nvidia driver installers alot because they throw in so much crud these days which they dont even give the option to leave out :( :p

good to hear youve sorted it :p

mtfbwya
 Ray Jones
09-25-2008, 7:08 AM
It always extracts to my system drive, with all the windows information on it. But that drive is small because it was designed to hold only system information.That is what you get for (A) creating extra "system"-partitions, which are also (B) way to small to even extract some bloody archive.

EDIT: I have fixed it - I copied the .exe from the disc to another drive, and right clicked 'extract files here' with WinRAR. Sorted!ALSO, you could right-click-drag-drop it into some drive/folder and say 'extract here', without copying it. OR, since you are using WinRAR, simply right click it and use 'extract files...' and enter/browse a path in the following dialogue, also without copying it.
 Astrotoy7
09-25-2008, 7:59 AM
That is what you get for (A) creating extra "system"-partitions, which are also (B) way to small to even extract some bloody archive.

I'm not sure about Astor's rig but alot of off the shelf jobs nowdays have a "fits tight" system partition , and quite often an equally sized recovery partition.
It's a global conspiracy between pc manufacturers and seagate wd etc :D

Im sure this strategy has sold zillions of mybook/freeagent kit ;)

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1