Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Would XP Run On This Machine?

Page: 1 of 1
 Marius Fett
08-31-2008, 1:32 PM
I want to change my OS on my Laptop from Vista to XP Pro/Home.

But i'm not sure XP would run properly.

Here are my specs:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/ryand-2007/specs.jpg)

What do you guys think?
 ChAiNz.2da
08-31-2008, 1:41 PM
I'd almost dare to say that if it runs *any* version of Vista.. it's more than capable of running XP Pro (or Home). Though I'd wait for some other opinions before darting off and formatting away :xp:
 Boba Rhett
08-31-2008, 3:17 PM
Look up your laptop model number. You'll often find driver packs that have been assembled to painlessly get XP up and running on your laptop.
 Astrotoy7
09-09-2008, 11:22 PM
just a quick caveat about warranty...if its a recent laptop and still under warranty, many manufacturers will view you changing the OS as a violation of warranty. ie they want you to take it into a service centre to get done, so if something goes wrong afterwards, you are still supported.

As Rhettski, said, check HP site for the list of supported OS and their drivers.

I understand people wanting to have a dual boot to XP for compatibility issues, but a full roll back is cutting you off from running apps that are/will be vista specific.. This is even more a concern if HP never actually issued you with an original OS disc

good luck!

mtfbwya
 Q
09-10-2008, 2:53 AM
I'm with Astro on this. Dual-boot would be the way to go. ;)
 Marius Fett
09-23-2008, 5:10 PM
Dual-booting not really an option for me i'm afraid.

This laptop has the smallest HDD EVER!

Only 80 gigs!

I'll hopefully be getting me an iMac soon though..

If I do, i'm having a 500 gig hard drive, so I can have a nice big XP install via bootcamp. :D
 Sabretooth
09-24-2008, 2:28 AM
My computer's worse than that and it's running XP no problemo. But like the Chainz says, if Vista is running on it, there's no heavenly reason why XP should not run on it. It's unthinkable!
 Marius Fett
09-24-2008, 8:10 AM
I've heard some machines have had problems with drivers etc..

I'll give it a go, worst comes to worst, I can just re-install Vista if I have a problem..
 Astrotoy7
10-06-2008, 1:33 AM
Dual-booting not really an option for me i'm afraid.

This laptop has the smallest HDD EVER!

Only 80 gigs!

People run XP installs off 8GB SD or CFlash cards. A full vista system install is a space hog. I need 20GB for a vista ultimate install. :(

It all really depends on what you need the space for. Large HDDs are so cheap that people buy them without thought of how much they actually need. I record digital and satellite HDTV at about 3-5GB/hour.(depending on rez of broadcast) If you dont do anything like that, youd be suprised how far 80GB will take you!!

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
^Out of the 80 GB actual size, only 67.4 GB can actually be used.

Vista takes up around 5 GB, so I really only have around 63 gigs to use.

After I get KotOR, the Jedi Knight games, and EaW installed I have even less space left.

Plus I have alot of other apps, (KotOR modding tools take up quite a large amount of space when you have alot of them.) Photoshop and 3DS Max take up quite a lot and so do all the other programs I have installed if you look at them altogther.

Right now, I have 14 GB free, and that's only because I uninstalled Battlefront and Republic Commando.

I'm also the type of guy that has WAY too many files and folders etc.

_____

The fact that it takes up less space is actually part of the reason I want XP back.
 Astrotoy7
10-06-2008, 6:25 PM
fair enough. HDDs are pretty darn cheap, and getting cheaper as SSDs start taking over.

If you do have a lot of junk, I'd think about either a couple of drives, or some partitions to keep general files and folders of 'stuff' away from your system disk/partition. Theres nothing worse than important files 'going down with the ship' when your OS disk/partition decides to chuck a wobbly ;) I myself am currently in the process of digitally archiving every single CD/DVD etc I have, and then I will get rid of most of the CDs/DVDs themselves via ebay or donating to a local library. Im sick of them all junking up my place. Out they go! I have 4TB(1TB each across 4 rigs) to spread them around on, so I think Im set for storage for a whiles yet !

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
We can't all be as lucky as you, Astro. :p
Page: 1 of 1