Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

QTE Events (Quick Time Event)

Page: 1 of 1
 Jacob Nion
08-24-2008, 1:46 PM
Hey guys what do you think of the QTE Events. I think they are going to be pretty cool. Something tells me that some of the boss battles will have that.
 M@RS
08-24-2008, 1:51 PM
you need to have a 'haven't seen yet' option
 Jacob Nion
08-24-2008, 1:53 PM
How can I go back and edit the poll?
 Boba Rhett
08-24-2008, 2:37 PM
There.

Hate them. What do they add to the game? Instead of actually playing the game it feels like you're playing a movie where you have to do as you're told to see the next pre-rendered screen.

Push the following buttons to watch the game play for you!

Ummm... ok but this being a video game and all.... why can't I do that?

QTEs are almost always just a crappy way for lazy developers to get around developing a decent fighting system.
 Ali1392
08-24-2008, 2:39 PM
i dont really mind as long as their not over used if their used instead of a cutsecene then i dont really mind
 starmark2k
08-24-2008, 4:01 PM
In some puzzle action games like Tomb Raider: Legends I don’t mind them because they make it so even if the QTE wasn’t there you’d still need to press the same buttons to solve it (they just tell you what you need to press). But in a game like The Force Unleashed It seems unnecessary and actually take away from the whole experience of it because the only time you can pull of that awesome move is in QTEs.
 itsame
08-24-2008, 6:59 PM
As long as they are only used for finishing moves / at the end of fights, then they're fine by me.
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-24-2008, 7:07 PM
As long as they are only used for finishing moves / at the end of fights, then they're fine by me.
That's probably how they'll work in-game.

Frankly, I don't know what's so bad about them. I hear and comprehend complaints about it taking away the moments you should be playing it, but that can't be hold true in games like God of War, where it's a fun way of dispatching your enemies. It's just the button-smash made eye candy.
 Hawwi Joshe
08-24-2008, 8:25 PM
Well, I personally didn't mind the QTE in the Demo because if you notice, the AT-ST only had about a 1/4 of it's health left before you were eligible to do it. If this is the case for all the QTE's, I really don't have a problem with it.

But, being that I haven't seen all the ones in TFU yet, I'm going to vote undecided.
 Jacob Nion
08-24-2008, 8:34 PM
I think it will work alright once the full game comes out.I look forward to the QTE.
 Da_Man_2423
08-24-2008, 8:35 PM
Well, I personally didn't mind the QTE in the Demo because if you notice, the AT-ST only had about a 1/4 of it's health left before you were eligible to do it. If this is the case for all the QTE's, I really don't have a problem with it.

But, being that I haven't seen all the ones in TFU yet, I'm going to vote undecided.

I just hope that doesn't become too repetitive. How many AT-ST enemies are there in the game? That would really get old fast.
 Hawwi Joshe
08-24-2008, 8:48 PM
I just hope that doesn't become too repetitive. How many AT-ST enemies are there in the game? That would really get old fast.

I agree, hopefully if you run into different AT-ST's through out the game, they will have different style of combos you can do for the QTE's.
 Nicomon
08-25-2008, 9:24 AM
Personally, there could be 2 things that could've been done differently.

1) Make the QTE button some other than X (If you're playing 360.), because most of the time when i was attacking the AT-ST, i was slashing it with my lightsaber, so as soon as the QTE became available, i accidentally started it by pressing X, so i screwed it up everytime.

2) There could be a manual way to kill a boss, i know it wouldn't look as epic but wouldn't it be cool to just cut a AT-ST's leg with your lightsaber and watch it fall?

I know we've only played the demo thus far, but i'm relieved that there atleast seems to be some variety in the QTE's, when watching some older clips of TFU, you see the Apprentice crushing an AT-ST like a piece of paper.

1 QTE for each boss, that would've got very boring very fast.
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-26-2008, 4:46 PM
I'm undecided. Visually it looks pretty epic, but as a player, I'd like to take down a boss myself. Hopefully, these events won't occur too frequently.
 Jacob Nion
08-27-2008, 12:02 AM
i do know that there is a mid level boss that you use the QTE event on Rexis Prime
 Da_Man_2423
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Eh, damn...they said that for every Boss/Jedi you face there will be a QTE to end it...kinda dissapointing.
 mstr kenobi
08-28-2008, 2:18 AM
as some people said it will probably look awesome,but not that good to play
 Malcontento
08-28-2008, 2:51 AM
The problem with QTEs is that they sort of feel like playing Space Ace, which was a cool looking game (for the time) but would probably win the "Worst Gameplay Evar" award.
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Have you played God of War? There's a minotaur on every corner and you don't ever tire of killing them using QTEs.
 Malcontento
08-29-2008, 2:57 PM
Actually, the GOW minotaurs gre tiresome real quick, only reason I kept QTEing them was the health bonus it provided.
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-29-2008, 7:24 PM
^ Matter of opinion. I loved gutting them.

But that's how it should work. You may or may not finish your enemies like this, it's up to you. The QTE's faster and provides bonuses, though.
 Da_Man_2423
08-29-2008, 8:01 PM
Have you played God of War? There's a minotaur on every corner and you don't ever tire of killing them using QTEs.

Nope, but it doesn't appear as if there will be mythical creatures around every corner in this game, just a bunch of crappy Stormtroopers and overpowered Rebels!
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-29-2008, 8:17 PM
The principle is what matters. The AT-STs doesn't necessarily needs to resemble a hydra to be considered a sub-boss unit.
 Da_Man_2423
08-29-2008, 8:25 PM
But how many AT-STs are gonna be in each level? That's all I care about, is that they don't appear every 2 seconds.
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-29-2008, 8:30 PM
Right, I get it. Well, I wouldn't expect to see many on the TIE facility, for example, but I can expect a fair number on places such as Felucia. But I have faith on the devs on this consistency matter.
 Da_Man_2423
08-29-2008, 9:09 PM
Well, hopefully the button combo for all these isn't X-A-X everytime (360).
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-30-2008, 2:54 AM

Haha. Mind you, God of War is rated 'M', whereas The Force Unleashed will probably be 'T'. ;) Of course, you can see it as the same, I find GOW's QTEs much more appealing. :p
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-30-2008, 9:54 AM
Haha. Mind you, God of War is rated 'M', whereas The Force Unleashed will probably be 'T'. ;) Of course, you can see it as the same, I find GOW's QTEs much more appealing. :p
The ghost of this difference will always haunt my mind, don't you doubt about it. ;)

Nevertheless, I think they can make the execution of droids/vehicles just as much brutal without much risk.
Page: 1 of 1