Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My Demo review on PS3

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthZayne
08-21-2008, 9:14 PM
Setup : HD TV in 1080p

I played the demo Twice , first time in sith warrior then sith lord.

In my first play through I had to get used to the controls wich took me around 5 min to master since only few combos and force powers are available.

Then I have been amazed on how LA made TFU looks so good , the graphics and the environement are stunning.I was watching the space battle from the Star destroyer window for couple sec then I made my way through the level.
Once I reached the hanguar where the storm troopers are fighting some rebels invaders , I griped a Tie-fighter then force pushed it right into the battle creating a real mess.

Then I finnaly feel like that im playing a real star wars game like ever before that the kind of power the player needed. Enough about my demo experience here what you looking for.

Here the review

Graphics 5/5 : Like I said in my summary , the graphics are amazing serriously , I was sceptic when I saw the trailers because I hate low framerates , its not the case about that demo.DMM make the graphics even looks better when you break walls with force push's , almost eveything has reflection.

Sounds 5/5 :the sounds are very acurate and everyone knows that LA have amazing sound artist , I liked how the imperial march song as trigger when i was destroying rebels scums , that some good imersion works right here.

Controls 4/5 :
Good : its easy to get used to the controls and its easy to link combos , example you can press X,X,X very rapidly then press O , you dont have to wait for the delay to trigger your combos or powers.

Bad : The trigger system seems a bit odd and sometimes doesn't seems to use logics , at some moments I had an enemy IA right in front of me then I triggered R2 to lift him up , but it didn't happend I lifted a box then the trooper finished me I had very low health and I was playing at Sith lord difficulty.

Gameplay :5/5 : Like as I expected , TFU isn't jedi knights , wich in my opinion is a good thing TFU mechanics is very similar to ; God of War , Ninja gaiden , onimusha and like every of those games the gameplay is very addictive and fluid.For those that are worryng about the light saber combat , stop worryng you just have to learn how to use your lightsaber and mix it with some unleashed force powers , you cannot make your way through that game only by using your lightsaber witout mixing it with force powers , maybe its possible at apprentice difficulty but not at sith lord.Theres tons of combo's you can make even if this only a demo , I just cant wait for the release to experiment some high level force powers .

My conclusion this is by far the best ps3 demo that I played.
Ive seen couple of minor bugs , nothing too big but some are just ugly and i'm pretty sure LA knows about that because they are to much blatant.

Trust me , once we get our hands on the retail version , it will worth our money.

I didn't reviewed some points like story and replayability , since its only a demo but those points doesn't worry me too much .
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 9:19 PM
Didn't think anyone else would find the game good in any way, let alone constantly compare it to the Jedi Knight games.
 fastfed
08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
good review..
Glad you like it.. But I have to say one thing.. As much as reviews are opinion. Graphics cannot be.. And how you can rate this game as a 5 out 5, is just fanboy, the graphics are going to score extremely low. Tell me what other games you play on the PS3..
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 11:04 PM
good review..
Glad you like it.. But I have to say one thing.. As much as reviews are opinion. Graphics cannot be.. And how you can rate this game as a 5 out 5, is just fanboy, the graphics are going to score extremely low. Tell me what other games you play on the PS3..

Do you not play on an HD configuration? Have you seen the gameplay videos of Kashyyyk (and don't say those were faked as an excuse, 'cause I doubt they were)? This game isn't the best graphically, but it is great.

Just because you didn't like the game, and someone else did, doesn't make them a fanboy.
 Jacob Nion
08-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Here is what I thought of the PS3 Version. This is just my opinon. The game play was great. Honstley I didn't think the graphics were that great compared to the 360 version. I didn't like the controls. They seemed a little harder to use compared to the 360 version which were easier to me. I like the 360 controlles better because the buttons are spread out more then the PS3 controllers. That is just me. But over all the game is great. I just had a harder time playing the PS3 version compared to the 360 version.
 Astor
08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
As much as reviews are opinion. Graphics cannot be.. And how you can rate this game as a 5 out 5, is just fanboy, the graphics are going to score extremely low.

Because you don't like the graphics doesn't mean other people can't.

If he thinks the graphics are worth a 5 out of 5 it doesn't make him a fanboy.

I don't own a PS3, but I do own a 360, and the graphics on that look awesome - and considering the PS3 is virtually the same in graphics processing, I'd say they'd be awesome too.

Thank you for the review, DarthZayne
 DarthZayne
08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Because you don't like the graphics doesn't mean other people can't.

If he thinks the graphics are worth a 5 out of 5 it doesn't make him a fanboy.

I don't own a PS3, but I do own a 360, and the graphics on that look awesome - and considering the PS3 is virtually the same in graphics processing, I'd say they'd be awesome too.

Thank you for the review, DarthZayne

Thanks Astor_Kaine

Like you said , I played the demo on my HD TV in 1080p and belive me or not guys the graphics are stunning.

I own Metal gear solid 4 , gta 4 and soul calibur iv on my ps3 .
The TFU demo environement graphics looks even better than GTA4 and MGS4.
And no .. I'm not a fanboy , I gived my honnest review . You may not agree with my review but please dont call me a fanboy since I'm not.
 Jacob Nion
08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Thats probley why I didn't enjoy it because I didn't have my HD hooked up. I hooked up this morning and replayed it and it looked gorgious.
 Ali1392
08-22-2008, 12:28 PM
i would rate this game as at lest 3.5-4/ 5 for grapics the enviroments are better than MSG4's the people are slightly less detailed but thats made up for by lack of loads between sectors, and everything is better than warhwks grapihcs.
I dont see why people compare this to JK you carnt use the light saber system for JK on a consol you have to use a different one, what you sould be comparing it to is God of War
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 1:18 PM
I dont see why people compare this to JK you carnt use the light saber system for JK on a consol you have to use a different one, what you sould be comparing it to is God of War

Sorry, but people feel that games with Jedi should somehow act 100%, perfectly realistic in a Star Wars sense.
 Astor
08-22-2008, 1:20 PM
Sorry, but people feel that games with Jedi should somehow act 100%, perfectly realistic in a Star Wars sense.

Yeah, god forbid somebody trying something different...
 DarthZayne
08-22-2008, 7:00 PM
from the trailers , I knew years ago that it wont be a jedi knight ..

So im not disapointed , btw i didn't liked the jedi knight series that much.
 fastfed
08-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks Astor_Kaine

Like you said , I played the demo on my HD TV in 1080p and belive me or not guys the graphics are stunning.

I own Metal gear solid 4 , gta 4 and soul calibur iv on my ps3 .
The TFU demo environement graphics looks even better than GTA4 and MGS4.
And no .. I'm not a fanboy , I gived my honnest review . You may not agree with my review but please dont call me a fanboy since I'm not.

I mean this is the issue I have.. How could anyone possible say that TFU graphics are on par with today's standard? and then.. Then.. you actually compare it to GTA4 or MGS, I mean come on!!!

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/865/865776/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080410002838784_640w.jpg)

VS

http://media.gtanet.com/images/4087_gta4_screenshot.jpg)

BTW I could* care less about graphics..

*as long as game play is there
 Jacob Nion
08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
To me the force unleashed has better graphics.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I honestly think the 2nd picture is of much less graphical quality than the 1st one. Also, attempting to compare graphics quality using pictures from different sources (I'm guessing they're different because the 2nd one doesn't have the IGN logo on it) generally isn't a good idea since they're probably being tested on using different equipment, which would lead to innacurate results for a comparison.

The anti-aliasing in pic number 2 seems to be almost non-existant.
 Hawwi Joshe
08-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Fastfed, the TFU screen shot you are showing is from the Wii version not the 360 or PS3.
 Da_Man_2423
08-23-2008, 1:10 AM
Fastfed, the TFU screen shot you are showing is from the Wii version not the 360 or PS3.

Heh, it still looks better than the second screenshot.
 Astor
08-23-2008, 3:14 AM
The first picture is immensely superior in graphical quality to the second.

The first one, although small, doesn't seem to have any AA problems, or visible lines. Each character appears crisp and clear.

The lighting is good, and the shadow looks convincing.

The second one, has visible lines, likely due to AA problems.

Then your argument is a moot point - seeing as you don't actually care about the graphics, why even bring it up?
 Ali1392
08-23-2008, 8:58 AM
yea im going to say the first ones better i mean you can see the pixels around the boom sign without looking very closly at all
 DarthZayne
08-23-2008, 9:11 AM
I mean this is the issue I have.. How could anyone possible say that TFU graphics are on par with today's standard? and then.. Then.. you actually compare it to GTA4 or MGS, I mean come on!!!

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/865/865776/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080410002838784_640w.jpg)

VS

http://media.gtanet.com/images/4087_gta4_screenshot.jpg)

*as long as game play is there

First your force unleashed screenshot is a Wii screenshot .
here the source http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/starwars2007/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;img;2)

I said i reviewed the PS3 demo .

here a real picture of TFU on ps3 in HD

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/890/890253/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080715065144575.jpg)
 Astor
08-23-2008, 10:39 AM
I said i reviewed the PS3 demo .

here a real picture of TFU on ps3 in HD

<snip>

They might be slightly unimpressive on a computer monitor, 12 inches away, but they're not designed to be seen up-close.

They're designed to be seen 4 ft away, sat back on the couch.
 LordOfTheFish
08-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Nice review. At least someone liked this game...

Nice screen shots too ;]
 Hawwi Joshe
08-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Heh, it still looks better than the second screenshot.

I agree, I have been impressed with the Wii's graphics for this game from the screen shots I've viewed, while not nearly as impressive as the 360 or PS3 versions it still appears to have a good look to it.
 LordOfTheFish
08-23-2008, 1:26 PM
While I like the graphics to be descent, They don't have to be perfect. I know the Wii doesn't have the greatest offer, as far as graphics are concerned.
 Da_Man_2423
08-23-2008, 1:33 PM
While I like the graphics to be descent, They don't have to be perfect. I know the Wii doesn't have the greatest offer, as far as graphics are concerned.

Obviously, which it makes up for in game content.
Page: 1 of 1