Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Seriously.. No one is disappointed with this game??

Page: 1 of 2
 fastfed
08-21-2008, 7:54 PM
I finally broke down and got another year gold membership, I figured I could start playing COD 4 and some other games again..

I am really disappointed with this game... I understand the market is not for more of a simulated audience but still..

I guess I am just to used to Academy and Knight, but this game is just way to arcade-y

Its basically fable, God of War and conan with a light saber. I am a big fan of star Wars and even a bigger when it comes to the games. I was obviously expecting much more and was horribly let down.

I just don't understand how you all could be loving it this much.. Its not a jedi character at all.. The light saber should be just that, a light saber, not a sword that glows. 1 slash and it should cut the person in half, not "injure" them.

I know I am not alone on some other fan sites as many are like myself and were hoping for more than just an arcade game with health meters over head the enemies..

really sucks :(
 fastfed
08-21-2008, 7:56 PM
Wow.. I just realized I sound like a big hater :)

Sorry, I know many love it.. I am just really bumed :(
 Jacob Nion
08-21-2008, 8:02 PM
I thought it was awsome. The idea behind this is to unleash your darkside force powers more then you are to use your lightsaber. Your lightsaber is there for close combat. And you are a jedi but a jedi on the darkside of the force. The whole idea behind this is to learn and unleash your force powers. And that is why the game is called The Force Unleashed. Don't feel bummed man. When the offical game comes out give it another try and see what you think.
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 8:11 PM
Again, no one should have expected this to be realistic in any Star Wars-y way.
 Jacob Nion
08-21-2008, 8:15 PM
I agree
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 8:23 PM
Couldn't everyone tell from the trailers and videos that this game was going to be arcade-like?
 fastfed
08-21-2008, 8:26 PM
Couldn't everyone tell from the trailers and videos that this game was going to be arcade-like?

I know.. I was just hoping to feel more like a Jedi(type)

I hate to hate again.. But the graphics pretty much suck!

I think the game will get a 7.5-8.0 at best.
 Jacob Nion
08-21-2008, 8:26 PM
Heck I can't wait for the full game.
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 8:29 PM
I know.. I was just hoping to feel more like a Jedi(type)

I felt very much like a Jedi. I kicked everyone's butts.

I hate to hate again.. But the graphics pretty much suck!

Opinion, but graphics aren't everything, and there enough to allow you to play the game without being eyesores.

I think the game will get a 7.5-8.0 at best.

I wouldn't base a score off a demo alone. We know nothing about the rest of the game.
 realityuk
08-21-2008, 8:47 PM
edit: original post turned into a rant and no one hear wants to hear that. Basically, all I have to say about this game is... after games like Outcast, Academy, and the rest of the jedi knight series, which offered amazing SP's, and also, some of the best MP in terms of gameplay, cummunity/maps/skins/ etc... this demo was embarrassing, i'm fed up of games trading gameplay for graphics, which is exactly what this is.

Maybe this game is for you, and Academy, outcast were not, but my god I wanted to cry playing this demo.

edit: about trading graphics for gameplay, thinking about it, the DEMO isn't exactly visually spectacular.
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 8:50 PM
edit: original post turned into a rant and no one hear wants to hear that. Basically, all I have to say about this game is... after games like Outcast, Academy, and the rest of the jedi knight series, which offered amazing SP's, and also, some of the best MP in terms of gameplay, cummunity/maps/skins/ etc... this demo was embarrassing, i'm fed up of games trading gameplay for graphics, which is exactly what this is.

Maybe this game is for you, and Academy, outcast were not, but my god I wanted to cry playing this demo.

edit: about trading graphics for gameplay, thinking about it, the DEMO isn't exactly visually spectacular.

Do you mind explaining what you didn't like about the game?
 realityuk
08-21-2008, 9:06 PM
Well, if you insist.

It seems very much linear, the graphics arn't as good as expected, even for a demo.

The camera is awful.

You can't block whilst moving = -.-

The force powers are not even remotely as good as In academy / outcast. This is a tricky one as I know due to buttons on 360 ps3 controllers, but I mean, Right trigger as choke? what? i'm sorry? who thought that was a good idea. Right trigger should be swing saber, left stick to move forward back strafe... right to turn, at least in saber combat.

Granted that idea completly changes the way the game would be played but the saber really doesn't feel like a saber in this game. I mean, you have no control over it only some lame combo's which obviously get more powerful and complex, but still not enough depth for the fun to outweigh the repetitiveness of them by the end.

Even though this game wasn't intended to be anything like the jedi knight series, I think the majorly poor close quarter combat was a bad bad idea, especially when the force powers in those games was far better as well.
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 9:22 PM
While I'm not going to argue your points, I'm sorry you found the experience unenjoyable. I think once people realize that The Force Unleashed is a different realm than the Jedi Knight games, they will like it more, or at least understand why it does things the way it does.
 fastfed
08-21-2008, 9:26 PM
Well, if you insist.

It seems very much linear, the graphics arn't as good as expected, even for a demo.

The camera is awful.

You can't block whilst moving = -.-

The force powers are not even remotely as good as In academy / outcast. This is a tricky one as I know due to buttons on 360 ps3 controllers, but I mean, Right trigger as choke? what? i'm sorry? who thought that was a good idea. Right trigger should be swing saber, left stick to move forward back strafe... right to turn, at least in saber combat.

Granted that idea completly changes the way the game would be played but the saber really doesn't feel like a saber in this game. I mean, you have no control over it only some lame combo's which obviously get more powerful and complex, but still not enough depth for the fun to outweigh the repetitiveness of them by the end.

Even though this game wasn't intended to be anything like the jedi knight series, I think the majorly poor close quarter combat was a bad bad idea, especially when the force powers in those games was far better as well.

Its sad that most of us expected a little different of a game.. But the buzz going around, even the people that expecting this game to be what it is, thinks its a horrible let down.

I just went to game stop to get battlefront 2 for the 360 ( want to lay and play :) )

the geeks in there were all ranting about horrible the game is and they all expecting it to be like an arcade..
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 9:39 PM
Its sad that most of us expected a little different of a game.. But the buzz going around, even the people that expecting this game to be what it is, thinks its a horrible let down.

From what's been said, it sounds like you guys were expecting a completely different game, not little.

The game is a lot of fun in my opinion, if you stop thinking it's going to be like Jedi Knight. I guess you guys will be saving some money come mid-September.
 realityuk
08-21-2008, 9:39 PM
Why steer away from good gameplay though that's what I want to know. Same graphics/story, characters, everything, but kept the main gameplay ideas from old Jedi Knight games. No one wants to play a game which makes you use force more than lightsaber... do they?! Bit boring if you ask me.
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 9:40 PM
The game is called "The Force Unleashed", that is the point of using the Force more than the lightsaber.
 fastfed
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
The game is called "The Force Unleashed", that is the point of using the Force more than the lightsaber.

Just because a game is called something doesn't mean they need to take it literary, lol
 TKA-001
08-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't usually bother with demos unless I decide to get a demo, which is not often (unless I want to). Since I refuse to play any version of this game other than the PS3 or 360, pretty much the only thing about this game that I expect to be able to form an opinion about in the near future is the story.
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Just because a game is called something doesn't mean they need to take it literary, lol

No, they do in this case. I've watched all the behind the scenes videos and stuff, and all they talk about is "kicking a** with the Force". They don't even mention lightsabers.
 Boba Rhett
08-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Then they shouldn't taunt us with the prospect of using a lightsaber at all. :xp:
 Da_man
08-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I am really disappointed with this game... I understand the market is not for more of a simulated audience but still..

I guess I am just to used to Academy and Knight, but this game is just way to arcade-y

Its basically fable, God of War and conan with a light saber. I am a big fan of star Wars and even a bigger when it comes to the games. I was obviously expecting much more and was horribly let down.

I just don't understand how you all could be loving it this much.. Its not a jedi character at all.. The light saber should be just that, a light saber, not a sword that glows. 1 slash and it should cut the person in half, not "injure" them.

I know I am not alone on some other fan sites as many are like myself and were hoping for more than just an arcade game with health meters over head the enemies..

really sucks :(

Explain how a guy that can toss things around with the Force and has a lightsaber. A force user and the lightsaber is as much as being Star Wars-y as it gets. It is a littl arcade-y and the graphics are a little on the bad side, but it is a DEMO! They are going to put the best graphics they can into a demo because it would take forever to download it. It took about 25 minutes to download one half of a level.

And how do the graphics suck? There a lot better than most of the crap I've seen. What are you guys comparing it to?

And the reason you can't kill a guy with one swipe of your 'saber is for balancing reasons. If all the stormies and AT-STs were one hit kills, you'd be complaining about how easy the game is. That is why in most non-arcade-y Star Wars games, you don't use a ightsaber, because it wouldn't be realistsic in the Star Wars sense.
 Rogue15
08-22-2008, 1:08 AM
hey at least it's not legos unleashed
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-22-2008, 4:37 AM
The game is focused on the force, not on lightsaber combat. Therefore, I'm not expecting there to be a big part in lightsaber combat. And really, I don't have a problem with it.

Personally, after playing the demo, I want the game even more than I did before. I still feel the atmospheric feeling of Star Wars when playing it.
 Titanius Anglesmith
08-22-2008, 4:42 AM
Personally, after playing the demo, I want the game even more than I did before.
Same here. To be honest, I really wasn't excited about this game at all until I got a PS3, then I started looking into it. It definitely sounded pretty damn fun, and now after playing it, I can tell I'll definitely be getting my money's worth.
 Ztalker
08-22-2008, 4:44 AM
Seriously.. No one is disappointed with this game??

The game's supposed to be sort of an episode 3.5.
I didn't hear people shout "Zomg, respawn, Anikon!" when Episode 3 aired and Anakin kot bashed at Mustafar. The game is supposed to be all about the feel, not about the multi-player goodness. It would be a damn shame to walk across Kashyyyks brilliant atmospheric forests and hear 'DOUBLE KILL' when you slice up another Wookiee.

This is not Jedi Knight. It's a completely new IP. It's not aimed for multi player fun or Gears of War coolness. No, it's a new episode of Star Wars, accept it the way it us, since it's a completely new idea. :)

PS: I think it's closer to Kotor then Jedi Knight. Kotor was all about the 'feel' too. I didn't hear people complain when you'd see the same melee/force anmination for the 126.147.856th time.
 adamqd
08-22-2008, 4:50 AM
For the Record, your not gonna feel like a Jedi when you play, because your an unofficial Sith, And we've been continually told this game is about using the force for 2 years it's not news, we've seen far more from trailer's than we got to do in the demo, so I don't know why people are surprised, I've known since announcement that this is an over the top force imbued button masher, and I like it, the only mention of the Jedi Knight series is from fans who wrongly assumed this was the next step in that series.

I loved the Demo and I'm gonna love the full game.
 Astor
08-22-2008, 5:09 AM
Its not a jedi character at all..

As adam says, you can't be a Jedi if your Vader's apprentice, so I don't see what you're going for there.

after games like Academy, and the rest of the jedi knight series, which offered amazing SP's,

Boo. Shame on you. Academy's SP is so bad it couldn't lick the dirt of off TFU's boots. If anything, that's the most 'arcadey' Star Wars game around with Jedi in it.
 Aku
08-22-2008, 8:04 AM
Have all Jedi Outcast/Academy players forgotten that both games didn't actually allow you to use the saberrealisticcombat commands by default?
You had to modify the experience the developers intended for the players to actually get dismemberment and this realistic saber combat.
Seriously, has everyone forgotten that? It's starting to sound pretty ridiculous with everyone complaining about how saber combat should be more realistic when the games they keep pointing at didn't actually make it realistic <.<

(Do note, I love JO and JA because those commands exist, but that doesn't change the fact that they were set to 0 in the released version)

Btw, you should try out any console hack and slash game. The controls here follow the standard template that game devs realized work well for this kind of game a long time ago.

People need to remember that JO/JA are first person shooters with a third person camera angle and lightsabers, not anything similar to a regular third person hack and slash game ^^
 Jacob Nion
08-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Remeber guys this is a demo. The full game will have much more and it will be more exciting. Here is what Lucasarts said about the demo.

The demo will feature the SPECIAL VERSION of the Tie Fighter Construction Facility level.

It will also feature very special powers and a special ending THAT WILL NOT BE FEATURED IN THE FULL GAME..

So the Tie Fighter Construction Faclility that we played on the demo is going to be completey different from the game. They built that just for the demo use only.
 Aku
08-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Remeber guys this is a demo. The full game will have much more and it will be more exciting. Here is what Lucasarts said about the demo.

The demo will feature the SPECIAL VERSION of the Tie Fighter Construction Facility level.

It will also feature very special powers and a special ending THAT WILL NOT BE FEATURED IN THE FULL GAME..

So the Tie Fighter Construction Faclility that we played on the demo is going to be completey different from the game. They built that just for the demo use only.Oh, I thought they just gave us a quarter or a third of the level ^^

It did seem a bit odd though. Nothing in the demo level fit into what the novel says about his mission. A LOT more corridor running and a lot less hangar-clearing...Plus his ship actually stayed in the hangar.

It's going to be interesting to see how different the game and the novel will be in that aspect. I hope it's not too different, because then I'm going to LOVE Raxus Prime xD
 Jacob Nion
08-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Also not only will the Tie Fighter Construction Facility be different but were you fight the AT-ST that will not be there either in the actual game. So like I was saying the demo will be completly different from the demo. And that is why I think alot of people who have played the demo were dissipointed because they were expecting more. But when the game officaly comes out on September 16th there will be alot more to do and nothing will be the same. But I have ot read the novel yet but I bet it will be right on with the game it self.
 fastfed
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Have all Jedi Outcast/Academy players forgotten that both games didn't actually allow you to use the saberrealisticcombat commands by default?
You had to modify the experience the developers intended for the players to actually get dismemberment and this realistic saber combat.
Seriously, has everyone forgotten that? It's starting to sound pretty ridiculous with everyone complaining about how saber combat should be more realistic when the games they keep pointing at didn't actually make it realistic <.<

(Do note, I love JO and JA because those commands exist, but that doesn't change the fact that they were set to 0 in the released version)

Btw, you should try out any console hack and slash game. The controls here follow the standard template that game devs realized work well for this kind of game a long time ago.

People need to remember that JO/JA are first person shooters with a third person camera angle and lightsabers, not anything similar to a regular third person hack and slash game ^^

Sorry but you ARE DEAD WRONG! and must not have played the game in a while.. I have it installed on my computer right now. I just installed both of them about a month ago.. Beat them both already.

No upgrades or patches or anything.

Arms and legs come right off.. Oh yea.. ONE swipe and their dead.. Well obviously..

Guys, I am not trying to convince anyone that this game sucks or is going to.
After all, Many people Hate Silent Hunter 4, but I love it..

Enjoy it for what it is.. But I already played Ninja Gaiden and Conan
 Astor
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Arms and legs come right off.. Oh yea.. ONE swipe and their dead.. Well obviously..

Only in JK2. In JKA, you're lucky to even take an arm off.

Nice to see another SH player around.
 Aku
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Sorry but you ARE DEAD WRONG! and must not have played the game in a while.. I have it installed on my computer right now. I just installed both of them about a month ago.. Beat them both already.

No upgrades or patches or anything.

Guys, I am not trying to convince anyone that this game sucks or is going to.
After all, Many people Hate Silent Hunter 4, but I love it..

Enjoy it for what it is.. But I already played Ninja Gaiden and Conan
I'm 100% certain that the games do NOT kill everybody with one hit and chop their limbs off. YOU are dead wrong.
In Jedi Academy, there was an option to enable dismemberment, but this happens rarely.
In Jedi Outcast, there was no such option and the command was disabled.

I play both games multiple times every week (daily during the last two weeks)

What MIGHT have happened is that you had a script file left from previous installations or a modified shortcut to the game left from previous installations.
There's no way what you're saying happened without using the console commands or having a script that uses them for you. Of that I am completely certain.
 fastfed
08-22-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm 100% certain that the games do NOT kill everybody with one hit and chop their limbs off. YOU are dead wrong.
In Jedi Academy, there was an option to enable dismemberment, but this happens rarely.
In Jedi Outcast, there was no such option and the command was disabled.

I play both games multiple times every week (daily during the last two weeks)

What MIGHT have happened is that you had a script file left from previous installations or a modified shortcut to the game left from previous installations.
There's no way what you're saying happened without using the console commands or having a script that uses them for you. Of that I am completely certain.

I am not saying this happens EVERY SINGLE TIME!! but enough to make it look and feel just perfect.. I will say YES!!! One Swipe and a storm trooper is dead! Why are we even arguing about this? Who can honestly say TFU is any bit of a non linear realistic jedi (Sith) game? Its a major arcade game, horribly arcade, so much they have health meters above their heads, lol.. Finally, every boss(ahha boss's) have to be killed the same way as everyone else.. Meaning, you can throw a million exploding barrels into the AT-ST and it won't do a thing.. You must do some very old classic, cheesy button combo's that get even 7 year olds excited.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 1:16 PM
I am not saying this happens EVERY SINGLE TIME!! but enough to make it look and feel just perfect.. I will say YES!!! One Swipe and a storm trooper is dead! Why are we even arguing about this? Who can honestly say TFU is any bit of a non linear realistic jedi (Sith) game? Its a major arcade game, horribly arcade, so much they have health meters above their heads, lol.. Finally, every boss(ahha boss's) have to be killed the same way as everyone else.. Meaning, you can throw a million exploding barrels into the AT-ST and it won't do a thing.. You must do some very old classic, cheesy button combo's that get even 7 year olds excited.

Do you have any real point when you constantly say that The Force Unleashed is an arcade game? What are you trying to prove? LucasArts will cash in nicely off this title, regardless of what die hard Jedi Knight fans feel.
 Jacob Nion
08-22-2008, 1:17 PM
Roger Roger
 Aku
08-22-2008, 1:24 PM
Do you have any real point when you constantly say that The Force Unleashed is an arcade game? What are you trying to prove? LucasArts will cash in nicely off this title, regardless of what die hard Jedi Knight fans feel.Oh well, at least hearing these Jedi Knight 2/3 fans complaining because this game isn't Jedi Knight 4 is kinda entertaining in a way :)
(especially so when they can't even properly describe their beloved game :D)
 TimbukTurnip
08-22-2008, 1:29 PM
I agree the TFU is a bit arcadey, but its still really good :D
people saying that JK II and had realistic sabre combat, the only way a SW game is going to have realistic sabre combat is if anyone who gets hit with a sabre falls apart (or whatever) and dies.
Sure, the stormtroopers died in one hit, but other force users didn't . . . i guess that means it wasn't realistic?

and i think on Sith Knight and Apprentice difficulty on TFU, maybe Sith Lord too, i can't remember, the stormtroopers die in one hit there too :P
 fastfed
08-22-2008, 1:37 PM
Honestly.. I could care less about Jedi Knight or academy.. I don't think they are the best games.. The only reason I like it, is because the force powers and saber are done extremely well.

I was not really expecting TFU to be Conan or God of War with a light saber..
I was not expecting little health bars above an enemies head.
Hey it is what it is.. I just cannot believe you all think this is a great game, besides even the major fail they did with the forces and light saber, the game play is pretty weak.. The camera control on is is horrible, its very clunky as it sits. And who ever said they don't release the "full" graphics for a demo, well I don't even need to comment on that. What you see now, is just how the real game will be played.
 Astor
08-22-2008, 1:44 PM
I just cannot believe you all think this is a great game, besides even the major fail they did with the forces and light saber, the game play is pretty weak..

You're displaying opinion as fact, which really isn't a very good way of getting a point across. I haven't played it yet, but I seriously doubt it is as bad as you are making it out to be - and your complaining is getting kind of old.

And who ever said they don't release the "full" graphics for a demo, well I don't even need to comment on that. What you see now, is just how the real game will be played.

Are you a dev for the Force Unleashed? No? Then don't make those assumptions - Demos are often unpolished, bare-bones examples of what the full version could be like.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 1:54 PM
I was not really expecting TFU to be Conan or God of War with a light saber..

So, what was going through your head while watching gameplay videos?

I was not expecting little health bars above an enemies head.

Why does this bother you so much? Without it, you won't know when they are dead.

Hey it is what it is.. I just cannot believe you all think this is a great game, besides even the major fail they did with the forces and light saber, the game play is pretty weak..

The demo starts you off at the lowest level possible (or at least really damn low), so all the Force powers and lightsaber combos aren't available. Besides the fact that the lightsaber controls aren't 100% like Jedi Knight, what don't you like about the Force powers?

The camera control on is is horrible, its very clunky as it sits.

The camera works fine for me. That's what the thumbstick is for. You can also lock onto targets with one of the buttons (forget which one).

What you see now, is just how the real game will be played.

Are you a dev for the Force Unleashed? No? Then don't make those assumptions - Demos are often unpolished, bare-bones examples of what the full version could be like.
 Ryazan
08-22-2008, 1:58 PM
In the Jedi Knight games, many enemies also had sabers, and therefore were harder to kill, and therefore died in one hit to prevent the game from being too difficult. Since it's not that easy to actually get a hit in, it only takes one to kill. In TFU, the vast majority of enemies don't even have melee weapons, let alone sabers, therefore they are much easier to damage, therefore they can take more damage so that the game is not too easy.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 2:15 PM
In the Jedi Knight games, many enemies also had sabers, and therefore were harder to kill, and therefore died in one hit to prevent the game from being too difficult. Since it's not that easy to actually get a hit in, it only takes one to kill. In TFU, the vast majority of enemies don't even have melee weapons, let alone sabers, therefore they are much easier to damage, therefore they can take more damage so that the game is not too easy.

The Stormtroopers still generally only need 1-2 hits to take them down. The Rebels can take a lot more damage, but it's not like everyone is a boss battle. I actually found the Sith Lord difficulty somewhat easy...is there any way to unlock that difficulty below it?
 Aku
08-22-2008, 2:49 PM

It should be noted that the Saber-wielding enemies in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy DIDN'T die in one hit though. They required quite a few hits actually.
The hit detection system in those games do some really weird things at times, which may make it seem like you don't actually hit them up to ten times before they die.

What people need to realize is that if this is a spiritual sequel to anything, then it's to Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith.
Heck, Hayden Blackman even took part in the making of that game.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-22-2008, 6:53 PM
I found no problems with the demo except it was short.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 6:57 PM
I found no problems with the demo except it was short.

Well, yeah, it is a demo. I don't wanna play through the whole TIE factory before getting the actual game. (Don't think that was all of it, at least)
 RyuuKage
08-23-2008, 3:11 PM
Its basically fable, God of War and conan with a light saber.
you clearly have never played any of those, if that's what you think...:lol:
 fastfed
08-23-2008, 8:05 PM
you clearly have never played any of those, if that's what you think...:lol:

Played and beat them all..

look at Ninja Gaiden, that is what this game is, only its acceptable for someone to sustain more hits from a sword, or axe, as in GOW, but as we all know, a light saber is the weapon of all weapons..

I don't think you all understand here.. The decision to not allow a 1 kill hit saber attack comes from many reasons. The main reason for all of these things in the game come from money. This game is extremely appealing to the younger crowd as well as putting a T rating on the game. Fact is they should of used a nerf baseball bat instead of the saber, because the saber sure isn't acting like one..

How can anyone argue that? Sure its Starwars and we all love it, but this is nothing more than a super toned down, God of War, Ninja Gaiden and Conan, only PG
Page: 1 of 2