Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

FloppyDTV FireWire Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Jan Gaarni
08-21-2008, 3:20 PM
Yeah, so, I just got a Everywhere FloppyDTV and a CA Module to put in my Media Center comp (self-built), but I as I'm about to install it, I realise my Asus P5GD1 mainboard doesn't have a FireWire connector on it.

So I'm looking around for a solution, other than getting a new MB with FireWire on it, and see there's many cards available that can be connected in a PCI slot.
But I can't seem to find any comfirmation that you can do this if the MB doesn't have a dedicated FireWire connector.

So, can you just install a PCI card to get FireWire if the MB doesn't come with it?
 ChAiNz.2da
08-21-2008, 3:45 PM
Yup :D

I had to do this with one of my other systems.
Firewire is so much more reliable than USB 2.0 (and doesn't bottleneck ;) ).
 Jan Gaarni
08-21-2008, 3:52 PM
"Yup", meaning, yeah I can install via a PCI slot?
 ChAiNz.2da
08-21-2008, 3:54 PM
"Yup", meaning, yeah I can install via a PCI slot?

Yup as in "Yes, you can install a firewire card, via PCI slot, without having it on your mobo" :)
 Jan Gaarni
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Great!!

Thanks a bunch, off to order one then. ;)

And as fortune wants it, there's exactly 1 slot left available for one. :D
 Astrotoy7
08-22-2008, 2:07 PM
hey Jan:) Htpc is my main interest in pc. I've built over 70 rigs now, and made a bit of pocket money from it!

I used to have that card! you can indeed get a firewire pci card. I would recommend a card that has some internal firewire connectors.

Do you have the separate CI add-on. I would thoroughly recommend it as the module in the card makes the card too not IMO. But if you can ventilate the card you may be able to control this.

Also , what program will you be using to view channels? I recommend dvb viewer, though the ('Fire dtv' app they include is a decent lite version of this).

Even though vista media center(in vista home prem and ulti)can support dvbs with the recently leaked update, it doesn't support CI.

Dvbs2 isn't supported in media center as it has no certified mpeg4 decoder; so best to stick with the other apps for this. Of course, theres not many dvbs2 channels atm anyway.

If youre plugging into a tv, media portal gives you a media center type interface thats great to navigate if you have an appropriate remote.

Let us know if you need any extra pointers with your setup.

good luck! :)

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1