Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

DMM Even Better Than I Thought

Page: 1 of 1
 Tomak Ta-Zak
08-21-2008, 1:44 PM
The DMM is fantastic, I have been doing a lot of playing around like setting up 20+ blocks of crates and just blasting them. They did a fantastic job with every detail, the detachable ceiling fans/vents/etc. The doors are kinda a cool thing, they keep adjusting to what ever you force push it too and its fun to fling guys off of them.
 JediLandon
08-21-2008, 2:26 PM
Sounds sweet wish i could play it
 Ryazan
08-21-2008, 3:38 PM
It meets my expectations, that's for sure.
 Tomak Ta-Zak
08-21-2008, 3:41 PM
I'm pretty sure in some other environments its going to be fantastic, Nexus Prime and Cloud City seem like a fun place to mess around with those features haha.
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 3:43 PM
I like bashing out all the windows and watching items get sucked out into space. Too bad the player can't.
 Ryazan
08-21-2008, 3:45 PM
Why is it too bad that you can't get sucked out?
 Tomak Ta-Zak
08-21-2008, 3:46 PM
Would be hilarious, I also had a lot of fun screwing around with the tie fighters. An awesome thing was launching force push bolts at em. Funniest one I've done was pick up a stormie and just let him sit in the air then get blasted away by the Tie which was destroyed to ^.^ This game makes me so evil!
 Da_Man_2423
08-21-2008, 3:47 PM
Why is it too bad that you can't get sucked out?
Would be hilarious

That's why.
 Ryazan
08-21-2008, 3:47 PM
I still think it's weird how even in the 360/PS3 version a TIE fighter can be blown up by a Stormtrooper. And isn't it hilarious enough that the Stormtroopers get sucked out?
 Tomak Ta-Zak
08-21-2008, 4:03 PM
Yeah I mean Lucas always wanted humor in the Star Wars movies but in the games you wouldn't assume it as much, haha here is the perfect example of what he wanted.
 Bazil
08-22-2008, 4:27 PM
The DMM is fantastic, I have been doing a lot of playing around like setting up 20+ blocks of crates and just blasting them.

Not DMM.

They did a fantastic job with every detail, the detachable ceiling fans/vents/etc.

Not DMM.

The doors are kinda a cool thing,

That is DMM, and although it is impressive on the doors, it was not used at all to the extent it should and it had the potential to be a lot better. The doors were plentiful in the demo to be sure, almost as if the doors were the only things that they could use DMM on well and so they simply put like 10 of them in the demo instead of adding other things.

The only things that were using the DMM system were the doors, certain panels on walls, and the glass in the "tutorial module". (That I could find)
 Ali1392
08-22-2008, 4:47 PM
what about the wires hanging from the celing?
 Astor
08-22-2008, 5:42 PM
it was not used at all to the extent it should and it had the potential to be a lot better.

If you're the expert then, would explain how the developers should have used it?
 Bazil
08-22-2008, 6:38 PM
If you're the expert then, would explain how the developers should have used it?

Oh I'm no expert, I'm simply saying that when having such a groundbreaking system in a game. A system that alone might very well attract customers and add a whole new dimension to the game... That you might use it on more than just a few items, especially in a demo.

For example they might have had the demo take place on a planet, the Digital Molecular Matter rendering of wood is especially impressive, which is why it was what they used to demonstrate DMM in the tech demo.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 6:42 PM
Oh I'm no expert, I'm simply saying that when having such a groundbreaking system in a game. A system that alone might very well attract customers and add a whole new dimension to the game... That you might use it on more than just a few items, especially in a demo.

For example they might have had the demo take place on a planet, the Digital Molecular Matter rendering of wood is especially impressive, which is why it was what they used to demonstrate DMM in the tech demo.

They got the DMM point across...if you wanna see it be used on wood you can watch the videos, so you know what it's like.
 Bazil
08-22-2008, 6:52 PM
They got the DMM point across...

Well that's the thing, they got the point that it is very impressive across, true. However it also made it seem as if DMM will only be used on a handful of items on occasion, which would be a real waste and not using it to its full potential.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 6:55 PM
Well that's the thing, they got the point that it is very impressive across, true. However it also made it seem as if DMM will only be used on a handful of items on occasion, which would be a real waste and not using it to its full potential.

I don't think people will be ignorant enough to assume that DMM will only be used on a few items that were in a demo.
 Bazil
08-22-2008, 6:56 PM
I don't think people will be ignorant enough to assume that DMM will only be used on a few items that were in a demo.

No, but I didn't mean those specific items, I meant to that extent. Meaning, roughly 3 different items per enviorment.

Ps.

what about the wires hanging from the celing?

I'm quite sure that's Havok, the physics engine.
 Da_Man_2423
08-22-2008, 7:06 PM
Well, in any case, they showed what the DMM can do. People will buy the game. LA will get money. End of story.
 Nicomon
08-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, in any case, they showed what the DMM can do. People will buy the game. LA will get money. End of story.

/thread
Page: 1 of 1