Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Laptop Power Problems...

Page: 1 of 1
 Marius Fett
08-15-2008, 3:52 PM
Argh, me again. :lol:

This time it's not about my mouse though. :p

My laptop refuses to charge..

I plug the charger into the socket, plug the charger into the laptop and nothing happens!

The blue "charging" light doesn't come on, the place where I plug the charger in doesn't light up, and the charging icon doesn't appear on screen..

Any idea what could be the problem?
 ChAiNz.2da
08-15-2008, 4:00 PM
Is the wall socket still good? Flip / trip any breakers recently?

EDIT:
Your charging cord may have a short in it as well.. do you roll it up when not i use, or do you fold it?
 General LiWar
08-15-2008, 4:04 PM
Also, is the battery in all the way. And how old is it? Sometimes the batteries just stop holding a charge.

but more than likely it's what ChAiNz said
 Marius Fett
08-15-2008, 4:09 PM
Is the wall socket still good? Flip / trip any breakers recently?

EDIT:
Your charging cord may have a short in it as well.. do you roll it up when not i use, or do you fold it?

There are other things plugged in there too, and they all work..

I just leave the cord where it is when i'm not using it, plus I normally have the laptop plugged in when using it anyway.

Also, is the battery in all the way. And how old is it? Sometimes the batteries just stop holding a charge.

It's less than a year old.
 ChAiNz.2da
08-15-2008, 4:13 PM
Not sure how useful this might be.. but it's worth a shot.

Try going through the steps and see how far you get. Might not be the battery, but the actual laptop jack connection being loose, but it couldn't hurt ;)

http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/battery.htm)
 RC-1183
08-15-2008, 4:15 PM
probably has a shorted cord like chainz said
 Marius Fett
08-15-2008, 4:27 PM
Ah, thanks ChAiNz, i'll have a look through that..

First though, i'll see if I can borrow my cousins charger, so as to make sure it's the charger not the battery. ;)
 Astrotoy7
08-16-2008, 1:00 AM
not having much luck recently Marius! Is this laptop old?

Definitely give an alternate power supply a try. Then an alternate battery. Theyd be the cheapest to replace. Does your lappie work without a battery in it, just plugged into the wall?? If you'e tried all of the above and determined that its the internal circuit that is messed up, that is definitely the scenario you dont want !

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
08-16-2008, 10:55 AM
not having much luck recently Marius! Is this laptop old?[/QUOTE]

Is this laptop old?

No, I just got it Christmas 2007.

I've tried several wall sockets now and it STILL won't work. :(
 jediTJrocks
08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
it might be the thing on the laptop where you plug it in
 Astrotoy7
08-17-2008, 12:25 AM
No, I just got it Christmas 2007.

I've tried several wall sockets now and it STILL won't work. :(

If its looking like the lappie socket itself is buggered, its lucky its still under warranty. I wouldnt mess with such a potentially disastrous problem... take it back and get it fixed/replaced :)

just take all your pron important stuff off first.

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
08-19-2008, 2:37 PM
Uh, the battery is on like 4% so I won't be able to back much up..

All the stuff I do need though is on an external HD so...

I'll take it to the store tommorow.
 ChAiNz.2da
08-19-2008, 2:41 PM
Your wall plugs aren't like mine are they?

I have to flip a wall switch for the top plug(s) to work (most apts./condos have something like this wired). Or houses too, if the electrician was feeling froggy :xp:
 Marius Fett
08-19-2008, 3:46 PM
Nope, all the sockets work normally. :p

I have to flip a wall switch for the top plug(s) to work (most apts./condos have something like this wired). Or houses too, if the electrician was feeling froggy

Never heard of anything like that before. :p

Strange..

I REALLY hope that I can get this fixed in the shop tomorrow...
Page: 1 of 1