Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Remote Desktop

Page: 1 of 1
 swphreak
08-14-2008, 7:38 PM
I'm looking to remotely connect to a PC that's projecting a looping powerpoint slideshow.

What I'm wanting to do is:

connect to the PC
"blank" the projection so I'm not projecting what I'm doing
update the slideshow
restart the slideshow and disconnect

I tried using UltraVNC first. It had a nice feature of "blanking" the screen and I could transfer files. The problem is, when I disconnect after restarting the slideshow, it'll interrupt the show.

Anyone have ideas? For now, I'm having to walk to the other side of the building and physically be at the computer. Would make things faster and easier if I could do it from my desk.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
SSH + X11 Forwarding might work. There's a Windows port of X11, I'm not quite sure how you'd go about configuring it or if it's even possible to forward X11 from Windows to Linux (although Linux to Windows is definitely possible). At the very least though, it's free and SSH is secure.
 swphreak
08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh I forgot to mention. Our PCs use Windows 2000.

I have no idea what X11 is.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
08-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I meant Windows to Windows >_>

I think.

Guide to forwarding X11 from Linux to Windows. (http://www.cs.caltech.edu/courses/cs11/misc/xwindows.html) I have no idea if the process can be reversed though. It'd make things a lot simpler if you could just transfer the presentation to the PC you're presenting it on though. In which case the guy who makes Putty also wrote an SFTP client.
 Sigundr
08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Hamachi is a good one. You can literally go into the other comp and take what you please. (IF you don't know what Hamachi is). Just a suggestion though.
Page: 1 of 1