Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

without too many spoilers, what's the basic storyline of KotOR II?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth krunchy
07-28-2008, 8:54 AM
I know the deal with KotOR I, and before I buy II, I'd just like to know what the basic storyline behind the game is.
 Ctrl Alt Del
07-28-2008, 9:17 AM
I'll ty to make it as spoilerless as possible.

The Jedi are on the brink of extinction, after the war with Revan and Malak few Jedi remained and even fewer endured when unknown forces started to kill one by one on a secret, undeclared war.

You, an outcast of the Jedi and the only one to return from the Mandalorian Wars as a non-follower of Sith, awake at mysterious circunstances on a seemingly abandoned space station. You must find a way to escape that place to try and find if there are any more Jedi alive, while tyring to evade the unknown powers that have been hunting Jedi.
 Darth krunchy
07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I've seen many of the same NPCs in this game though. Is Revan one of them? Does the ending of KotOR I influence KotOR II? Is there an assumed ending of KotOR I (kinda like there's an assumed ending of Baldur's Gate I when II starts)?
 JCarter426
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Just go play K2, dude. :p

But to answer your questions...

No, Revan doesn't ever appear in person, but every character and their grandmother will tell you their opinion about him/her whether you want it or not. He/she's treated like a living legend, really. A lot have objected, saying that the game hypes Revan, that it goes against everything in the first game, etc. Meh, I say they should learn to not believe everything they hear. :xp:

Anyway, Revan doesn't appear in person, but in spirit Revan is there. The endings of K1 don't really affect K2. You can set whether Revan was LS or DS and whether Revan was male or female at the start of the game, but it doesn't change much. You'll just get some new dialogue, and depending on which of the four combinations you pick you may see cameos from Carth and Bastila. To get the most out of the cameos, set Revan as LSM.

As I said, there is no "assumed" ending, in that you get to pick it; however, the galaxy ends up the same no matter what.

If Revan was LS, he/she saved the Republic and destroyed the Star Forge, but more memories came flooding back, leading him/her to disappear into unknown space in search of a greater threat. Without anyone to lead them, the Sith turned on each other--something you can actually see in the game if you get rid of both Uthar and Yuthura (for the latter you can kill her or convince her to leave the Sith).

If Revan was DS, Malak is defeated, Revan reclaims the Sith Empire, but those memories still come back, and so Revan disappears into unknown space in search of a greater threat. The Star Forge goes dormant (and eventually falls into the Rakatan sun, if I recall correctly) without a Force user to guide it, and the Sith turn on each other.

So either way, three Sith rise to power and eventually destroy all but a handful of Jedi. Your player character, known as the Exile, is believed to be the last.

Now go play K2. :p
 Darth krunchy
07-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Now go play K2. :p
Thanks. When I find a copy in a bargain bin, it's mine. ;)

j/k, I'm looking for a copy anywhere though.
 Rev7
07-29-2008, 1:47 AM
eBay? (http://catalog.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II-The-Sith-Lords_UPC_023272326180_W0QQ_fclsZ1QQ_fifptsZ1QQ_pi) dZ30735393QQ_tabZ2)
Bid! (http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II-The-Sith-L_W0QQitemZ190239517263QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190) 239517263&_trksid=p4295.m14.l1318)

Looks like there are some good deals on it. Not too expensive.

My opinion is just buy and play KotOR II. I say don't even question it. It is worth the money. JC and Ctrl pretty much summed it up though. Yeah, now go play!
 Ascendant_Justice
08-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Hey, I just annihilated several people on eBay to get my brand new K1 for pc a couple weeks ago! I say you should definitely do that for K2. What a rush. It was like being a Mandalorian, swooping in on a Basilisk war droid, mercilessly striking at the very last second (literally) with a whopping $1.00 bid, crushing the five other bidders as they toyed with their pathetic $0.50 bids trying to gain control over the last minutes of the battle...... The shockwave from that leveled the entire bidding process. It was the moment of my life.

Anyway, realistically speaking, I won't be buying K2 until Team Gizka is finally finished with its massive restoration project (if it ever finishes). In case you haven't heard, K2 has oodles of cut content in it due to Lucasarts rushing the development for the holiday season. The final stretches of the game were particularly swiss cheesed by this. I hardly understood what was going on on my first playthrough. There's already a lot of restored content mods out there though. If you care to download the right mods, K2 can be patched up pretty nicely, from what I've seen (I don't have it for pc). If you're patient, you may want to wait for Team Gizka to finish though. They seem close, but there are no guarantees. Obsidian could have done a tremendous job if they hadn't been rushed. You'll see that if/when you do get K2.

Can't tell you much more than what others have already posted without spoiling. The game has a fittingly darker atmosphere to it, complementing the treachorous times. No matter what you chose for Revan in K1, the Republic still, essentially, verges on collapse in K2. What I like in particular about K2 is that it touches on things in a more philosophical approach than in K1. Characters and factions are dabbed with more grays than blacks and whites. I think K2 makes you think harder about what you do than in K1. The game will sometimes deliberately point out immediate consequences to your actions and then elaborate on them and will leave you thinking about your choices and ideals, if you care to open yourself to them.

Bottom line, I'd say if you're a fan of the first KotOR, you should buy the second. Fit it with the right restoration and enhancement mods (nothing game altering), and experience the full story for yourself. It's worthy, just flawed in its presentation.

On last thing, while you can choose everything in K1, there kind of is an "assumed ending" if you replace "assumption" with "canonical". In canon, Revan was male and saved the Republic, destroying the Star Forge. Also canonically, the Exile of K2 is female and basically light side (don't want to spoil.)
 Da_Man_2423
08-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Anyway, realistically speaking, I won't be buying K2 until Team Gizka is finally finished with its massive restoration project (if it ever finishes). In case you haven't heard, K2 has oodles of cut content in it due to Lucasarts rushing the development for the holiday season. The final stretches of the game were particularly swiss cheesed by this. I hardly understood what was going on on my first playthrough. There's already a lot of restored content mods out there though. If you care to download the right mods, K2 can be patched up pretty nicely, from what I've seen (I don't have it for pc). If you're patient, you may want to wait for Team Gizka to finish though. They seem close, but there are no guarantees. Obsidian could have done a tremendous job if they hadn't been rushed. You'll see that if/when you do get K2.

Team Gizka will finish. The forums have plenty of activity, the bug tracking still gets updated, etc. I truly applaud their efforts, and the dedication they have put into their project. Don't forget the M4-78 restoration either, that alone adds a good chunk of time to the playthrough. Another excellent mod there as well.

Bottom line, I'd say if you're a fan of the first KotOR, you should buy the second. Fit it with the right restoration and enhancement mods (nothing game altering), and experience the full story for yourself. It's worthy, just flawed in its presentation.

From all the content that Team Gizka will be restoring, along with future/other restorations (not that those are lesser in any way, just saying), I'll probably start playing The Sith Lords A LOT again. The original KotOR is a game I could play practically nonstop and not get tired of it. Everything was just done so perfect. TSL is still a great game, it just lacks (but also improves) in some areas where KotOR stood out. Coupled with the M4-78 mod, the gameplay time for TSL gets expanded significantly.
Page: 1 of 1