Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"Tank" Character Build? Bad or good?

Page: 1 of 1
 zemegauser
07-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I decided to go for a character build that is all about being able to take alot of damage, and deal a lot of damage. I may have gone over the top, can anyone tell me if it is good?

Soldier
Strength-16
Dexterity-8!!!
Constitution-18
Intelligence-8
Wisdom-12
Charisma-8

Not gonna focus on force at all, or skills, just pure melee action.
I figured since I can take a lot of hits, I won't need dexterity.
 Rev7
07-16-2008, 1:26 PM
I decided to go for a character build that is all about being able to take alot of damage, and deal a lot of damage. I may have gone over the top, can anyone tell me if it is good?

Soldier
Strength-16
Dexterity-8!!!
Constitution-18
Intelligence-8
Wisdom-12
Charisma-8

Not gonna focus on force at all, or skills, just pure melee action.
I figured since I can take a lot of hits, I won't need dexterity.
The only thing that I would say is get that Dexterity up to 10, just so that you don't have the penalty (subtracting amounts) on your attribute. That defense certainly helps....but overall I think that they are resonable for a soldier presumably going into a Guardian. I don't think that you went too over the top on some of them. Yeah, just add a few more dexterity points. You will need the extra protection, I think. Have fun with your game!
 Darth krunchy
07-16-2008, 2:19 PM
My first question is this: are you planning an armored Soldier/Guardian build? That would be my impression, since you don't plan on using Force Powers or anything. It best fits the description as a tank.

That being said, it still pays off to get hit as few times as possible, as even with an 18 CON and the Toughness feats, the damage will add up in this game.

I've long thought about an armored Soldier/Guardian build. Here are a few suggestions off the top of my head (with some very minor and vague spoilers to follow):

Go with a 10 or 12 DEX. 12 is the highest you can go with a very, very powerful set of heavy armor. It's also impossible to miss this set so don't worry about that! A 12 DEX will give you the best protection naturally, but a 10 will allow you to wear a very good belt that will boost DEX by 2 (in addition to some other bonuses I won't spoil).

Go with a 14 WIS, and preferably a 14 CHA also. A 14 WIS doesn't cost any extra character creation points, and the Will saving throw bonus will be a welcome one (it's weak for both Soldiers and Guardians... not a good combination). The CHA isn't as important as the WIS, but it will help with Persuasion, as well as boosting your Force Points (but as said above, this probably won't matter much since you don't plan on using a lot of powers).

Start with an 8 INT. You don't need any higher, and only a 14 will give you more Skills to play with (which totally isn't worth it).

After that, boost STR and CON up as high as you can go. I suggest an even split since this game "charges more" for the higher stats. I suggest the level-up stats to go between these two stats. If you find that you seem to get hurt a lot, boost CON. If you find that you want to do more damage, boost STR.

As for feats, Toughness will keep you fighting even longer, but I doubt you'll actually need it. I like the Conditioning chain for you, since you want to boost that pitiful Will save any way you can.

Damn, talking about this makes me want to start up an armored Soldier/Guardian build!!!

ON EDIT: Ahh, you may as well screw CHA. Drop it to 8 like you originally had and get that STR and CON even higher. How persuasive should a hulking tank really be anyway? :)

As for whether or not this is a "good" build, I'd think it's a very effective build. You'll last forever in combat and easily rack up more kills than any other member of your party. I know you'll miss the Speed powers though. I'd definitely suggest taking Jolee with you so you can still have fun casting Force Powers around. :)

EDIT numero 2: Another good reason for the 14 WIS is that it's the stat related to Treat Injury, which is probably the only skill you'll be increasing while on Taris (and maybe after). CHA helps with the Cure power, which is almost always the first one I grab.
 Darth_Yuthura
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I'd go with strength 14 for the sake of not wasting attribute points. 14 dexterity is alright. 14 constitution, 10 intelligence, 14 wisdom, 10 charisma. This is the best balance of strength and force points for me. Any more to strength detracts just too much to be worth it.
 Burnseyy
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I like to balance them out - I would definitely get dexterity, strength and constitution up, because they're most useful, but only by say, +1 or +2 points than the rest.
 Darth krunchy
07-23-2008, 12:53 PM
What's the point of DEX over 12 if you're going for heavy armor?

INT should either be 8 or 14. Dump it or pump it baby!
 Burnseyy
07-23-2008, 1:30 PM
What's the point of DEX over 12 if you're going for heavy armor?

INT should either be 8 or 14. Dump it or pump it baby!

well, if we're talking about jedi, you don't really need heavy armour.
 Ctrl Alt Del
07-23-2008, 1:42 PM
If you're saying you're planning to go on all melee, then why 12 WIS? Your protection against Force Powers will be all about your ridiculous amount of health, right? Leave it at 10, and if you must invest those points on something, then raise you CHA.

Well, if he's going to leave his DEX as it is now, then sure as hell he will need some heavy gear. Otherwise, he would just take some successive hits and die. ;)
 Burnseyy
07-23-2008, 1:47 PM
Well, if he's going to leave his DEX as it is now, then sure as hell he will need some heavy gear. Otherwise, he would just take some successive hits and die. ;)

this is why I get my dexterity high enough. usually 13/14. :^:
 Ctrl Alt Del
07-23-2008, 1:54 PM
this is why I get my dexterity high enough. usually 13/14. :^:

Yeah, personally, I'm with you: I never leave my DEX too low. However, since he made clear that he's not interested in defense (at least that's what I get by "being able to take alot of damage") and he's all about melee, discarding the heavy garments and low DEX wouldn't make sense. :)
 Darth_Yuthura
07-23-2008, 2:02 PM
My ideal character settings are 10 strength, 14 Dexterity, 12 constitution, 14 intelligence, 14 wisdom, and 10 charisma.

I favor having more force points than health, so I don't push constitution any more. The lack of hit points can be substituted by force heal and medpacks(which are abundant enough). I don't invest as much into strength because it doesn't have as much value as force abilities in battles. Charisma also increases force points and may be pushed to 12 at the expense of constitution. I don't use armor, so dex isn't restricted.
 Darth krunchy
07-23-2008, 2:58 PM
Ooops! My mistake, I thought he wanted an armored tank. :P
 GwannaSauna
08-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong! Put the dexterity at 17, then Strength at whatever you have and can use left! Hell, I have a level 5 soldier, and she rarely ever gets hit, and can take down a Black Vulkar before you can even say "game of the week!"
Page: 1 of 1