Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Backwards Lightsaber

Page: 2 of 2
 Da_Man_2423
08-25-2008, 5:04 PM
What's wrong with looking cool? I do it all the time. :cool:

Perhaps LucasArts should model you as a downloadable character to replace Starkiller in the game then. :lol:
 GeneralPloKoon
08-25-2008, 5:54 PM
I like how he holds it makes him seem more unique!
 Ratmjedi
08-27-2008, 11:14 PM
As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it? Each character has there unique features and it's being shown in the game so I think it's cool.

Shien was a form of Jedi lightsaber combat. Followers of this form practiced an unorthodox method of holding the lightsaber to perform long, sweeping strikes to take down several enemies at a time.

I think for being a secret apprentice who was gonna encounter alot of enemies on his missions it's the most effecient style so it makes sense.

:lsduel: :duel:
 Da_Man_2423
08-27-2008, 11:39 PM
As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it?

Not really, since it's purely aesthetic anyway.
 LordOfTheFish
08-28-2008, 10:14 AM
As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it? Each character has there unique features and it's being shown in the game so I think it's cool.

I think for being a secret apprentice who was gonna encounter alot of enemies on his missions it's the most effecient style so it makes sense.

:lsduel: :duel:

Agreed. What is the big deal with the reverse grip? It's not the end of the world :lol:
 PoiuyWired
09-02-2008, 1:35 PM
Yeah, it's new, it's cool, it's different, it's Vader's Secret Aprentice...:lol:

... Anakin's first padawan holds it that way also...
 KyoteOne
09-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Different Jedi and Sith have their preferences for how they hold their sabers.
I thinks it's because he is a speedy attacker and backwards blades seem to be associated with speed and/or ninja style characters.
And I think they felt it was just more sinister looking
 Drunkside
09-04-2008, 9:35 AM
Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that the Apprentice holds his lightsaber backwards? I really wish he would hold it normally because it looks better that way.

I dont really care becouse its a game, but i tell you, if someone actually wielded a weapon that way and just stand casually he would get grinded to bits by the first guy he meets with any combat skill... That kind of a stance is a suicide! And even though i always dual wield when its possible, the lack of that doesnt bother me at all, becouse here i play Starkiller, not the most powerful being in the universe, ME...
 LordOfTheFish
09-04-2008, 3:01 PM
Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.

Really though, it's a game...it doesn't really have to make sense.
 Astor
09-04-2008, 3:03 PM
Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.

That's the most ludicrous thing i've heard. It's simple because it looks cool, and people kept moaning that they couldn't see the lightsaber.
 LordOfTheFish
09-04-2008, 3:11 PM
It's no more then an attraction to raise sale counts.
 Astor
09-04-2008, 3:14 PM
It's no more then an attraction to raise sale counts.

Which I can't see it doing. I'm far more interested in Unleashing the Force than I am about how he holds his lightsaber.
 LordOfTheFish
09-04-2008, 3:19 PM
Point proven.
 Dominicomucci
09-22-2008, 9:52 PM
I love the way he holds the sabre, its cool. But its very impractical in real combat.

In fact i think even in game you can see this, he is so slow to get his guard up when you block (tell me its not my reactions) youhave to be ready before hte enemies swing for starkiller to get his guard up!!!

Other than that it does look very japanese cool though.

On the point of styles i loved Count Dokus style, swashbuckling fencer. I think that is one of the coolest styles in film because the guy is professionally trained in it :D (and yes i know a lot of it is a stunt guy, but for an old dude that guy can still look smart)
 Cru3lty
09-24-2008, 8:55 PM
I think a lot of the inspiration for using the reverse grip might have come from a really cool japanese film about a blind masseur called Zatoichi who held his cane-katana like that. The reverse grip is used occasionally in japanese fencing but usually (like the Apprentice) mixed with the conventional grip. I agree that it does give him a bit more character.
 Darca Lar
09-25-2008, 4:48 PM
It doesn't bother me, and the fact that he was powerful enough to beat Vader and the Emperor is reason enough to allow it.
 Kalonus
09-25-2008, 5:38 PM
Doesn’t he use that style because he is often faced with multiple attackers and it allows him to have wide swings of his blade…I thought that was what the form was used for.
 SW01
09-25-2008, 6:10 PM
Gimmick. Plain and simple. Just something to make him different from the other sabre-users in Star Wars.

It's been done before - think double-bladed Maul. Or quad-wielding Grievous.

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe it's because I prefer the dueling style. Perhaps it is appropriate for a Sith, as it has little defensive value and perhaps more offensive value.
 Darca Lar
09-26-2008, 2:05 AM
I wouldn't consider Starkiller a Sith considering the story. Rather he used powers of the darkside. Besides, its not how good it is, its how well you use it.
 PoiuyWired
09-26-2008, 8:07 PM
Gimmick. Plain and simple. Just something to make him different from the other sabre-users in Star Wars.

It's been done before - think double-bladed Maul. Or quad-wielding Grievous.

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe it's because I prefer the dueling style. Perhaps it is appropriate for a Sith, as it has little defensive value and perhaps more offensive value.

Unfortunately backhand stance is not unique anymore...

Plus, Maul's saber is not unique, just a dim copy of the true master...

The Quad Wield is pretty special though, I wish there is a true 4 handed sith.
 Xbx_Inthusiast
09-26-2008, 8:12 PM
Well Shien (Backhand) has been used by Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Starkiller, Jedi Snipers, Quinlan Vos, and Ronhar Kim. It's very useful in throwing your opponents off guard and striking from strange angles. Also, when fighting a double-bladed opponent, it's the best form to use because of it's wide defensive range.

(Also, I guess Maris Brood would have use a variant of Shien, due to her Tonfa's being backwards)
 SW01
09-26-2008, 9:21 PM
I've just noted though that when Starkiller attacks, he twirls the saber to the 'normal' position to strike, then twirls it back when comig out of the attack stance.

Not sure if that reduces the utility of the form or not.
 NEOxSNIPER
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder: What possible advantage is there to holding your lightsaber like that? I mean, yeah, you can hold your lightsaber any way you want and call it a new form, but how exactly is that helping?

that back handed stance is geared more toward defense, where as holding it normally is offensive.
 M@RS
10-01-2008, 1:09 PM
^ It's a mix really, if you're good at it, like I assume Galen is... The form is called Shien... Link... (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shien)
 csneo23
10-04-2008, 4:19 PM
Every character in the star wars universe has their own lightsaber stance and I think it is important that they do. Some are more noticeable then others. Revan, Starkiller, Darth Vader, Malak, Obi- wan, Palpatine, yoda, Darth Maul, and Dooku. All of them have very different styles and I think it is important that they do. Personally I love the fact that Starkiller's stance is so different and of his own.
 Lord Foley
10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Aesthetic choice or not, I think his stance is awesome.
 Darth Eclipse
10-06-2008, 8:20 AM
I love Shien. I don't see why so many people have problems with it. It's rediculous!
 LukeDavis93
10-13-2008, 11:45 PM
but I do not understand why this bothers people.
because its differrent
 GwannaSauna
10-14-2008, 1:53 AM
Maybe he just had a wrist surgery, hmm?

Nah, but that is pretty damn annoying. Although when you're attacked by eight stormtroopers and holding down the B button ready to unleash a wave of destruction, I don't think you're gonna care the way he holds his lightsabre
 Endorenna
10-14-2008, 2:49 AM
Somewhere I heard that the backwards style helps weaker fighters (aka women) have greater leverage during clenches. Don't know if that's true in the real world or not, but I certainly know it's true at my house. :)

And, of course, it looks cool. :xp:
 Negative Sun
10-14-2008, 5:37 PM
that back handed stance is geared more toward defense, where as holding it normally is offensive.
I thought that as well, which is quite ironic since he's supposed to be a baddie to begin with, you'd think his style would be more leaning towards the aggressive...
 LukeDavis93
10-14-2008, 6:36 PM
Somewhere I heard that the backwards style helps weaker fighters (aka women) have greater leverage during clenches. :xp:

come to think of it women do use that style pretty often
 Negative Sun
10-15-2008, 3:57 PM
come to think of it women do use that style pretty often
Yeah there's like 10 women in my street using katanas and broadswords in that way! :xp:
 Endorenna
10-15-2008, 4:00 PM
Hey, on my street there are two. ;) Well, except they're fake swords...
 Pwnzor326
10-15-2008, 11:55 PM
I heard in an interview that they did it so you could see the lightsaber better. I also noticed that Ashoka from the Clone Wars has that same stance.
 LordOfTheFish
10-16-2008, 4:48 PM
Why would you want to see the lightsaber if the game is about the "force"..?
 Henz
10-16-2008, 5:37 PM
^ Because from the back of the character it's more visually interesting to see the lightsaber...?
 LordOfTheFish
10-17-2008, 1:56 PM
Could be... Though I seem to agree with the person who said it was to allow Galen to more easily use the force.
Page: 2 of 2