Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Deus Ex... for free

Page: 1 of 1
 Pavlos
05-30-2008, 8:19 AM
Source (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/)

That titan of the FPS-RPG genre, Deus Ex will soon be available for free download from the faucets at Gametap (http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000459050). Mark "Coming soon" on your calendars -- I think that means next week but I can't be sure. I'd bookmark this page (http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000459050) and check it every day until the download becomes available. Each of your daily checks should last no less than one hour and should involve repetitive tapping of the F5 key.

As every good dark, cyberpunk FPS-RPG should, Deus Ex plunges the player into a political thriller filled with intrigue, betrayal, and subterfuge; so, you know, get it... now. It's the only game that has ever (ever) involved politics and not gotten carried away with how clever it is for doing so.

If you don't like it then there's something wrong with you. I bet you don't even find System Shock 2 scary, do you?
 Ctrl Alt Del
05-30-2008, 1:10 PM
Each of your daily checks should last no less than one hour and should involve repetitive tapping of the F5 key.
Is it worth the effort? What I'm saying, for sure it is.
 Boba Rhett
05-30-2008, 2:26 PM
I am going to download this and I already have two hard copies.

Pro Tip: For every post in a Deus Ex thread, three people reinstall. You're welcome, you three.
 Sabretooth
05-30-2008, 9:55 PM
Looks like I'm the one this time, Rhett. I already have a hard copy, so I won't be downloading that advertisement-filled stuff. :D *goes to reinstall*

Deus Ex is the greatest game ever. [/repeated_phrase]

I was wondering the other day if it would be both possible and commercially viable to create a Deus Ex remake that has exactly the same content as the original, but a brand new engine with top-notch graphics and physics. I would have totally loved Invisible War's Havok physics in the original...
 igyman
05-31-2008, 4:46 AM
I was wondering the other day if it would be both possible and commercially viable to create a Deus Ex remake that has exactly the same content as the original, but a brand new engine with top-notch graphics and physics. I would have totally loved Invisible War's Havok physics in the original...
Well, it seems to have been commercially viable to do a Tomb Raider 1 remake, so who knows? The only problem I see is that Ion Storm's no more, but then again, Deus Ex 3 is being developed so there might be some hope.
 Lange
05-31-2008, 7:15 AM
I liked the second game better :O
 Miltiades
05-31-2008, 7:45 PM
Hmm, never played it, though I've heard good things about it. I think I'll be downloading this...
 Boba Rhett
05-31-2008, 8:03 PM

The... I... the... it... i.. what?

What?

How is this.... I... I have to go sit down.
 Corinthian
05-31-2008, 8:32 PM
Invisible War was to Deus Ex what Superman IV was to the original Superman movie.
 jawathehutt
05-31-2008, 9:28 PM

You have just committed the gravest of heresies in my book.
Dues ex is still probably my favorite game, Ive done it vanilla 6 times, hardcore twice, shifter 6, zodiac 8 and hotel Caronne(SP) twice. Im not going to mention redsun, considering I would rather have my limbs ripped off of me 1 by 1 than ever play that completely through. Someone should teach those idiots some level design and debugging
 Pavlos
06-01-2008, 6:16 AM
The... I... the... it... i.. what?

What?

How is this.... I... I have to go sit down.
Can I get you a cold drink?
 Boba Rhett
06-01-2008, 1:52 PM
Iced teas. Keep em coming, hold the lemon.
 Prime
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I'll be downloading it. Haven't played it yet...
 Boba Rhett
06-08-2008, 5:39 PM
Heads up, people. Deus Ex is now available for download!

LINKY (http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000459050)
 Sabretooth
06-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Fallout and co. from Interplay are also on the way, I hear.
 Q
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I simply must find a way to get broadband! :(
 Boba Rhett
06-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Is the problem that you're too far out from a provider? You could opt for a Sat connection or an internet connection card that uses your cell phone carrier.

The Sat connection will be faster. They're both still kind of expensive. Entry level price is in the $50 neighborhood. I believe both have DL caps.
 Serpentine Cougar
06-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Do you have to have an account at GameTap? Also, what is this "player" thing I notice?
 M@RS
06-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Why get this game? Personally (and no offense) it doesn't look like that great of a game, I know it's won awards, but those were from 2000 and 2001, also why not get a game with better graphics?
 Q
06-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Is the problem that you're too far out from a provider? You could opt for a Sat connection or an internet connection card that uses your cell phone carrier.

The Sat connection will be faster. They're both still kind of expensive. Entry level price is in the $50 neighborhood. I believe both have DL caps.
No Cable or even DSL, though those that live half a mile away can get either. :swear:

Cell phone reception here is spotty at best and satellite was way more than $50.00 the last time I checked, and required the purchase of outrageously expensive equipment up front.

I've been begging the cable and DSL providers to go the extra half mile and provide service to myself and my neighbors for years to no avail. It's been quite frustrating. :(

Why get this game? Personally (and no offense) it doesn't look like that great of a game, I know it's won awards, but those were from 2000 and 2001, also why not get a game with better graphics?Because graphics aren't everything. In fact, they're what I consider to be the least important factor when choosing a game. Gameplay and plot are far more important than eye candy, IMHO.
 Boba Rhett
06-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Why get this game? Personally (and no offense) it doesn't look like that great of a game, I know it's won awards, but those were from 2000 and 2001, also why not get a game with better graphics?

So graphics are all that make a game for you? Very sad. Gameplay and story can easily outweigh the importance of graphics and can be rather timeless. The sooner you realize the, the sooner you can start enjoying some really great games that you've missed out on because they're a little old.

Also, because it's FREE. Really, this is a no brainer download and I hope you give it a shot.

Qliveur, I'm running off a sat connection (wildblue). They offer three speed tiers. The entry one is 40-50 bucks a month and would give you about 75Kb/sec download. I'm running the enterprise tier and that's still only like 80 a month.
 Q
06-09-2008, 1:39 AM
^^^
That's not bad at all. I'll look into it.

EDIT: I checked and it's a little more expensive here, but not too much. The lowest tier is $55, the middle is $70 and the top is $90. Equipment is $250 and installation is free. Now to decide if I really need it badly enough to justify the expense. I'm paying $6.95/month right now. :p
 Boba Rhett
06-09-2008, 2:25 AM
I got my equipment free by signing up for a two year contract. I wonder if any such deal is available in your area.
 Q
06-09-2008, 2:29 AM
The installation is free and the equipment is $250.
 Lantzen
06-09-2008, 4:44 AM
Why watch the old Star Wars movies, i mean they are so old !!! The special effects is bad if you look at new movies.

And yes, that is irony
 Astor
06-09-2008, 4:49 AM
Wow... now maybe I can find out what everyone was talking about in 2000... right after I find out if we kicked Saddam out of Kuwait... :lol:
 stoffe
06-09-2008, 6:21 AM
Heads up, people. Deus Ex is now available for download!
LINKY (http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000459050)

Some quick advise for those who have never played Deus Ex before:

Talk to all NPCs multiple times, they almost always have more to say than the initial dialog. Even the inconsequential bum in the back-alley may have something interesting to say if you poke him enough. A few missions/quests can only be gained this way too.

Listen to NPC chatter. Sometimes the things NPCs (both friends and enemies) say to each other will provide you with clues as to what is going on, or other useful information. Sometimes it can pay to hold your fire for a moment, hide and eavesdrop on enemies before dealing with them.

Explore everywhere. There are lots of places off the beaten path, and not only will you often be rewarded with goodies for finding them, you can also get extra skill points for Exploration. You can also find easier ways to reach your objectives sometimes.

Hack, or find the login/password to, all computer terminals you come across. Many of them contains emails and other messages that gives clues about what is going on. They may also contain other computer logins, access codes that lets you open doors, containers etc. Sometimes you can find login info on datapads in secure locations, and sometimes clues to the password can be found in the environment around the computer. (For example the password to the UNATCO sys-admin's computer can be found on a poster on the wall in his office).

There are multiple ways to solve most missions or get past obstacles. For example gaining entrance to a compound could include a brute force method running in guns blazing, silently knocking out guards one by one, sneaking past enemies, subverting security systems to do your dirty work, or using NPC contacts you've made earlier to get admitted.

Play it like an RPG more than an FPS. Though there are plenty of opportunities for running and gunning in Deus Ex, it's not always the most rewarding way of solving a situation, and it may have consequences. For example, if you deal with the first mission using lethal force Paul Denton will be annoyed with you, while Gunther Hermann and Anna Navarre will approve of your methods. While if you use non-lethal force, knocking out the enemies, will result is the opposite. Some missions also offer different rewards depending on how you choose to deal with the opposition.

(Oh, and get the GEP gun in the first mission when you are given the choice of an additional weapon. You can loot the other two options off enemies quite soon afterward anyway :))
 Sabretooth
06-09-2008, 8:56 AM
(Oh, and get the GEP gun in the first mission when you are given the choice of an additional weapon. You can loot the other two options off enemies quite soon afterward anyway :))
I thought I was the only one who did it for that reason. ;)

One extra piece of advice I can give is, when you replay the game, try doing everything opposite to what your did in the first run: in most situations, the game allows this. You'll be surprised at how even your most subtlest decisions are echoed in the future.
 milo
06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Do you have to have an account at GameTap? Also, what is this "player" thing I notice?
I downloaded it last night, still haven't played it yet though. Yes, you need to sign up for a gametap account to play M-rated games, it takes maybe 30 seconds. And yes, you have to download the gametap client thing so you can actually download and play the game. It took me maybe a total of ten minutes to get everything set up. I'll let you know if it was worth it when I find the time to actually play it, but I'm guessing from the positive reviews in this thread that it is pretty gud.
 Quanon
06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I downloaded it last night, still haven't played it yet though. Yes, you need to sign up for a gametap account to play M-rated games, it takes maybe 30 seconds.

I can't make an account as it keeps directing me to a page that says its only for USA and Canada. :(

And then it just goes blablabla about a Myst game, which I have no interest in.
:crybaby:

Really sad, I wanted to check this out. :mad:

Unless there away around this ?
 Boba Rhett
06-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Gametap is not yet available in Europe. :(
 Prime
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Haven't investigated further, but the game is only playable through their player? As opposed to running directly on my machine?
 Pavlos
06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Gametap is not yet available in Europe. :(
I won't be downloading Deus Ex seeing as how I have my own copy (thank you Ebay) but I'm in the UK and it worked when I grabbed Psychonauts.

Haven't investigated further, but the game is only playable through their player? As opposed to running directly on my machine?
I think so. The free games are paid for with revenue from advertising so you have to watch a commercial each time you start up the game. It's a minor inconvenience but I think having access to an amazing game for free more than outweighs that :).
 Sabretooth
06-09-2008, 1:48 PM
I can't make an account as it keeps directing me to a page that says its only for USA and Canada. :(

And then it just goes blablabla about a Myst game, which I have no interest in.
:crybaby:

Really sad, I wanted to check this out. :mad:

Unless there away around this ?
One lame trick I can suggest is to change your location settings in Control Panel so that it reads the USA.

Otherwise you can try a proxy - I hear they work well, but have never used one, and hence can't comment.
 jawathehutt
06-09-2008, 4:26 PM
Would anyone else agree that Hong Kong is the best place for the random but hilarious quotes of NPCs
"...And I spill my drink all over my uniform"
"I was walking here"
 Jae Onasi
06-20-2008, 1:42 PM
If you get an error message when d/ling the game, check the help page. I got an error message that said I had an internet problem/gametap servers might be down, and when I went to the help section, I found out that all I had to do was open one port on my firewall. That solved the problem.
 Q
06-20-2008, 3:59 PM
For those of you who don't have broadband or don't want to mess with or don't have access to Gametap, Deus Ex can be had for $10 or less. And you own your own copy.
 Miltiades
06-20-2008, 6:38 PM
I can't make an account as it keeps directing me to a page that says its only for USA and Canada. :( Found that out, too, a couple of days ago. Really nice. :(
 jawathehutt
06-20-2008, 6:50 PM
I would advise buying it, you cant use any mods if you go with gametap.
 Serpentine Cougar
06-20-2008, 11:26 PM
What sort of mods are out there?
 jawathehutt
06-21-2008, 3:39 PM
Hardcore: http://www.moddb.com/mods/8375/hardcore-dx)
Shifter: http://www.moddb.com/mods/8002/shifter)
Burden of Proof: http://www.moddb.com/mods/5422/burden-of-80-proof)
Hotel Carone: http://www.moddb.com/mods/1112/hotel-carone)
Project HDTP(makes everything prettier): http://www.moddb.com/mods/4470/project-hdtp)
Zodiac: http://www.moddb.com/mods/7479/zodiac)
I personally use Shifter or Shifter plus most of the time
 DeadYorick
07-23-2008, 2:01 AM
It is a very good idea. Though Deus Ex is already buy able off of Steam.

This does mean most people no longer have to pirate the game. Which is a plus. Maybe there will be more modders and people playing the horrible multiplayer.
 tk102
07-24-2008, 5:48 PM
Gametap moved Deus Ex from Free to Gold (available by subscription only) about 3 weeks ago.
 Rabish Bini
07-27-2008, 4:59 AM
^^Yes but the Game of the Year edition is still free ;)

I need a little help, I go to download it, and it comes up with the GameTap thing, and then it says something about a RunTime error. How do I fix it? :confused:
 tk102
07-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Woops. :D I completely missed that. Thanks Rabish Bini.
 Boba Rhett
07-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I assume you're running vista, Rabish? Try setting it to Run as Administrator and maybe in a compatibility mode as well.
 Rabish Bini
07-28-2008, 2:44 AM
Yes I am running Vista, and I am set as administrator, although I haven't tried running it in compatability mode, I'll try that.

EDIT: Ok, running it in compatability mode didn't work, but my friend somehow managed to fix the problem. So, now I'm set. :)
Page: 1 of 1