Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

XP error

Page: 1 of 1
 jonathan7
05-28-2008, 7:14 PM
Howdies all,

For no apparent reason my Rock gaming laptop has decided that Windows XP isn't going to boot; well when I say that, what I mean is everything goes fine until I get a black screen with the white mouse, which normally occurs just before the log on section to Windows XP, However it just gets stuck there.

Now safe mode won't run; same problem, and when I try loading 'last working configuration' that too is suffering from the same problem. This leads me personally to think that the boot.ini has somehow been corrupted (oh fun fun fun). However if anybody else has any thoughts before I begin fixing it tomorrow please suggest away. :) If at all possible I want to fix it in a non data loosing manner, I will use system restore as a last option.

Additional Info; This all happened after a day of travelling; my computer had shut down fine, last virus and spyware checks run found no problems (2 days ago and a week ago respectively). And I hadn't updated any software, and automatic updates are turned off, so quite why the error would come about is beyond me, but then anything is possible with a Microsoft OS!
 urluckyday
05-28-2008, 7:33 PM
Wait, system restore? You can only access that if you're in the actual OS...
 jonathan7
05-28-2008, 7:37 PM
Wait, system restore? You can only access that if you're in the actual OS...

Not a windows one, all Rock laptops come with a third party boot up program that will return it to the last saved version of windows.
 urluckyday
05-28-2008, 10:32 PM
^Ah, I gotcha...system restore is slightly different than that though...but the reformatting is all I can see that can help you, but that's w/ my limited knowledge...
 Sivy
05-29-2008, 6:57 AM
sounds like it could be the winlogo.exe file thats been corrupted.

using the xp disc, open the recovery console.

type in...

copy d:\i386\winlogon.exe c:\

assuming d: is your cd/dvd drive

why you're there, you must as well do ntloader and ntdetect as well, just in case.

copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
 jonathan7
05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
sounds like it could be the winlogo.exe file thats been corrupted.

using the xp disc, open the recovery console.

type in...

copy d:\i386\winlogon.exe c:\

assuming d: is your cd/dvd drive

why you're there, you must as well do ntloader and ntdetect as well, just in case.

copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Thanks Sivy, I have tried the above, however windows, won't find the above file path (my dvd drive is e, so I had amended the above to b e:....)

Could the file be located in a different section of DVD and not i386?

i.e. Will the above work if its FAT32 but not if it is NTFS?

EDIT... Fixed :D Must have been pretty simple as whatever it was, was fixed by the old; CHKDSK /p registry checker thingy-ma-jig

A mod may as well close this, as its served it purpose, thanks for the help :)
 Sivy
05-30-2008, 4:46 AM
whoops my bad... i forgot the you have to rename the file aswell... i.e winlogon.ex_ to winlogon.exe

but anyway, glad you got it fixed. a registry problem would be my next guess if that didn't work.
 Astrotoy7
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
good to hear its sorted ;)

good old chkdsk... some stray corrupt sectors messin things up eh :D

no need to close it, we'll just let it drift off to sleep........ Zzzzzzzz

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1