Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

viruses

Page: 1 of 1
 Totenkopf
05-19-2008, 4:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had any problem with getting hit with a boatlaod of viruses while logged onto this site. Twice in about 3 weeks I've gotten hit with multiple viruses while clicking a thread in the KOTOR forum. Can't provide you with a list (already took care of them), but at least 4 of the trojans/viruses/worms/whatever were completely alien to the Norton program that came with my machine (defs updated regularly). It only seems unusual to me b/c of the length of time since I signed on here (summer '06) I've rarely ever had a problem (3x total, I think).
 tk102
05-19-2008, 4:26 PM
I haven't had any such occurrences. If it happens again, take note of the URL and take a screenshot. Make sure your logging is turned on in Norton.
 Q
05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I just got the canned IE warning that something was trying to install an ActiveX control when I clicked on Rhett's birthday thread.

Don't now if it's relevant, but I'd never experienced anything like that on this forum before now.
 jonathan7
05-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I haven't had any problems, I run firefox, with a load of security add-ons; noscript hasn't given me any stopped script warning for the forums, though I also have an add blocker on as well, so dunno if the problem was an ad.
 stoffe
05-20-2008, 1:06 PM
I just got the canned IE warning that something was trying to install an ActiveX control when I clicked on Rhett's birthday thread.

Don't now if it's relevant, but I'd never experienced anything like that on this forum before now.

That would be something originating from one of the banner ads. No functionality on Lucasforums requires ActiveX to work.

Unfortunately what banners get served is mostly out of our control; it is determined by the advertisement companies. As far as I understand it the LF staff can at most complain about specific ads and ask for them to be removed from the rotation here.

In general you should never allow a site to run ActiveX controls unless you are 100% certain of what it does, where it comes from and that it is needed for the site to work properly (like when using Windows Update, for example).
 Arcesious
05-21-2008, 7:56 PM
I would suggest that you get rid of norton Antivirus and anything else you have, unless if it's AVG, and then download and install the Avast antivirus program.(And maybe AVG also. Not sure if Mcafee works with Avast though if you want Mcafee Antivirus.) After that, I doubt you'll have any problems with viruses ever again... However, as a warning, Avast is very lethal agaisnt intruding programs on your computer, such as other antivirus programs, spyware, and such, so be warned that Avast may treat those programs as viruses, which can cause soem problems with your computer in that case. Also, however, Avast, IMO is the best antivirus program out there, and I think it's worth it over every other antivirus/spyware program.
 Rev7
05-21-2008, 9:11 PM
I haven't had any problems with this. Occasionally I get some pop-ups that I don't want (and they are almost all blocked), but that is generally it. The computer that I use has Norton 360 and is doing just fine. I also have Webroot Spy Sweeper that works well. So, I have been fine. :)
 Boba Rhett
05-21-2008, 9:56 PM
I'm just running a modded hosts files and haven't noticed anything.
Page: 1 of 1