Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

No 'Force Unleashed' Multiplayer on PS3/360

Page: 1 of 2
 Prime
05-17-2008, 8:58 AM
Sorry if this is old news...

No 'Force Unleashed' Multiplayer on PS3/360 (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/685568/No_Force_Unleashed_Multiplayer_on_PS3360.html?utm_) source=g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed)

"To be specific, there's no multiplayer in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions, because there is on the Wii, PSP, and DS. As far as specific reasons are concerned, we don't really like to get into the reasons why we don't do things because I don't think there's really a satisfactory answer that people would really be happy with. So, there isn't multiplayer and that's kind of how it is..."

And the game is supposed to be short, at that...
 Jason Skywalker
05-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I facepalmed at that. Trying to even things out is a bad idea.
 Ctrl Alt Del
05-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Expected, but still pisses me off.
 Prime
05-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm becoming less and less interested in TFU, unfortunately...
 littleman794
05-17-2008, 11:21 AM
That is why I am getting TFU for Wii!:D
 Jeff
05-17-2008, 3:02 PM
I still think overall gameplay will be the best on the PS3/360 versions, but it looks like Wii is shaping up to be the real deal version of the game.
 GeneralPloKoon
05-17-2008, 7:36 PM
I personally could care less about multiplayer unless it was Battlefront III are some other Star Wars shooter, I must play this amazing story!!!
 SLADE11
05-18-2008, 12:39 AM
So dissapointed, isnt it even enough that the Wii has 5 extra levels, giving us the multiplayer wont stop people from buying it on the Wii or make people not buy it for 360 or PS3. They really need to put it in so many characters for the Wii.

http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/previews/images/173588-10-1.jpg)
you guys know this would be cool, Cmon Put this on the PS3 n 360 versions
 Rogue15
05-18-2008, 3:39 AM
meh, star wars multiplayer on consoles was never that great anyway. KotOR and KotOR II didn't need multiplayer.
 Prime
05-18-2008, 6:31 PM
http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/previews/images/173588-10-1.jpg)
Is that the Wii version? The graphics look...disappointing.

meh, star wars multiplayer on consoles was never that great anyway. KotOR and KotOR II didn't need multiplayer.But the KOTOR series gave you more than 8 or so hours of gameplay.
 SLADE11
05-19-2008, 4:54 AM
ok i really only want a duel mode, dnt care for a multiplayer style experience
 Pho3nix
05-19-2008, 6:24 AM
Woah, I didn't expect this. Bummer. :|
 DAWUSS
05-19-2008, 3:53 PM
I'm becoming less and less interested in TFU, unfortunately...

I've been heading down that path for a while now...
 adamqd
05-19-2008, 4:22 PM
I thinks it's gonna be awesome whether we get MP or not on PS3/360, but I think there (Hayden Blackman among others) are giving us to much hype to be honest... I mean statement's like "Your not gonna see the original trilogy in the same way after playing TFU" and "It's the next step in the Saga" are a bit of a stretch! Keep things in perspective Lucasarts! lol
 Boba Rhett
05-19-2008, 4:49 PM
It seems like whenever someone gets a chance to pop their head in on the development of this game and peel up a bit of info to share with us I'm continuously horrified by what's dredged up.

I'm not declaring outright that it will be this way but I think we should all prepare ourselves for this game landing stillborn in our laps.
 Jeff
05-19-2008, 5:40 PM
Well adamqd while I do kind of agree this game is getting a ton of hype for all the let-downs we've heard of so far (no PC, no multiplayer, etc) it really is the next big thing in Star Wars, since this all has the approval of George Lucas. The story is supposed to be G-cannon.
 Qwerty Uiop
05-19-2008, 6:27 PM
I don't get it. Why should Microsoft and Sony be punished for having a more powerful system, and why should 360 and PS3 owners be punished for buying that system?

So far 360 and PS3 owners have had 5 levels and MP taken due to having a powerful system.
 Boba Rhett
05-19-2008, 7:15 PM
Think of it this way: Why do they feel they owe the Wii owners five extra levels?
 Prime
05-19-2008, 9:01 PM
Well adamqd while I do kind of agree this game is getting a ton of hype for all the let-downs we've heard of so far (no PC, no multiplayer, etc) it really is the next big thing in Star Wars, since this all has the approval of George Lucas. The story is supposed to be G-cannon.But as much as I like more story from the saga's creator, that isn't going to really interest me if the game is sub par. Worst case this game could turn out to be Star Wars' Enter the Matrix...
 Commander Obi-Wan
05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
KotOR and KotOR II didn't need multiplayer.

Yeah. Mind you, they were RPGs. And they don't really need multiplayer. And The Force Unleashed is not an RPG.

Despite the disappointment, I'll end up buying it for 360 still.
 Rev7
05-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Thank God it really doesn't affect me. Hopefully the gameplay on the PS2 will be acceptable...
 mrpanicy
05-20-2008, 9:34 AM
I am on the verge now. I love Star Wars, but Lucas Arts has been leading us along with a rope for a while now. This game may have an amazing story, but at the same time it will probably be lacking in every conceivable way. Thats just what Star Wars games (with the exception of Kotor 1 and 2, and all the X-Wing and Tie Fighter's) do. They offer so much, and tell you how amazing its going to be and then at the last second rip it all away. The fact that all the Jedi Knight games had multiplayer truly saved them. The story was mediocre to alright at best. This would have been alot better off with some kind of multiplayer. NOT a duel mode... a MULTIplayer. I despise duel mode, something like that will not make me buy two copies, nor will it make me rent the weaker Wii version.
 SLADE11
05-21-2008, 12:51 AM
duel mode wouldnt be a hard addition seeing as there having it on the wii, multyplayer would be alott more of a challenge
 mrpanicy
05-21-2008, 9:08 AM
That may be. But its hard to find the fun in duel mode. Especially since it doesn't ship with fun, and no amount of DLC could make a duel mode fun. So I don't see why anyone with a Wii is even excited to get a duel mode. The only thing I have found that duel modes do is breed resentment in the duelers. Especially if the one guy plays it all the time and is better, cause then its lopsided and one person loses all the time. There is no fun there. Duel modes suck plain and simple. I could see if this was a fighting game that having a duel mode would make sense. But this isn't a fighting game. They shouldn't have wasted their time and energy on a duel mode. No game should offer less then 4 person multiplayer. Why are we regressing when the technology that powers such things are becoming more powerful. People like multiplayer, give us multiplayer.
 Jeff
05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I think you take your games too seriously if you end up resenting someone because you lose...

And also, what does it matter whether this is a fighting game or not? What kind of game it is shouldn't make a difference for whether duel mode will be fun or not.
 mrpanicy
05-21-2008, 3:11 PM
Multiplayer USUALLY follows singleplayer in its style. Thats all.

And its not about taking the game to seriously, if you never win, how the hell can you enjoy a game? So no one will play it if one person is amazing and just kills them all the time. They will play a game that is more cooperative. Duel modes suck for those that don't spend their lives playing games. For those that master combos and tricks and timing with hours of playtime I am sure it will be fun. Well until they can't find anyone to play against because no one wants to play the damn game.
 Jeff
05-21-2008, 3:54 PM
But you could say that for any fighting game, like super smash bros., and yet you said that it wouldn't apply if this was a fighting game, that makes no sense. Anyways luckily this is a primarily single player game so you won't have to be bothered with getting pwned in duel mode.
 Ctrl Alt Del
05-21-2008, 4:27 PM
Yeah. Mind you, they were RPGs. And they don't really need multiplayer. And The Force Unleashed is not an RPG.

That line is weak. Action games don't need a multiplayer either - and they don't usually have.
 PoiuyWired
05-21-2008, 4:46 PM
I don't get it. Why should Microsoft and Sony be punished for having a more powerful system, and why should 360 and PS3 owners be punished for buying that system?

So far 360 and PS3 owners have had 5 levels and MP taken due to having a powerful system.

Some Lucas Arts poodoohead retard really needs their skull replaced. If GL is smart he should make the suggestion of placing said personel in Jabba's Dungeons along with the jarJar impersonators.

I mean, seriously! Shouldn't you aim HIGHER and not LOWER? What next? disabling DMM so that the game quality is equal to those of PS2?

How about bundling the game with a belt strap so someone can carry around their 360 like a psp... that would even things out.
 mrpanicy
05-22-2008, 9:07 AM
But you could say that for any fighting game, like super smash bros., and yet you said that it wouldn't apply if this was a fighting game, that makes no sense. Anyways luckily this is a primarily single player game so you won't have to be bothered with getting pwned in duel mode.

Your right of course. Wait, no one I know will play that game with me either. They don't enjoy getting their ass kicked. I hope that doesn't poke holes in your argument. And this isn't a fighting game, so why would anyone want a fighting game like multiplayer. If you ask me thats what doesn't make sense. An action game with fighting game multiplayer. I would think that would be harder to program and add in then a straight, heres a level, heres some AI, heres a lightsabre, GO. But maybe I am thinking about it the wrong way. And I don't know programming, nor much about game development, so I shouldn't say anything.
 adamqd
05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
This is more than likely bs, but I just read a post saying 360 and maybe ps3 are developing a downloadable patch to allow the multiplayer game on the above platforms... Maybe LA have been checking in on our dismay at the the lack of x360/ps3 gen love?

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/TFU_Multiplayer_For_The_Xbox_360_114769.asp)

Update: Sorry, No longer relevant :(
 Gurges-Ahter
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Your right of course. Wait, no one I know will play that game with me either. They don't enjoy getting their ass kicked. I hope that doesn't poke holes in your argument. And this isn't a fighting game, so why would anyone want a fighting game like multiplayer. If you ask me thats what doesn't make sense. An action game with fighting game multiplayer. I would think that would be harder to program and add in then a straight, heres a level, heres some AI, heres a lightsabre, GO. But maybe I am thinking about it the wrong way. And I don't know programming, nor much about game development, so I shouldn't say anything.
I don't really understand your argument. Why doesn't it make sense? I think the duel mode is a great idea and a great addition to the game. It's not the primary function, obviously, but it appeases the masses of Star Wars fans that want to know what it might be like to be one of the greatest Jedi or Sith, and to stage a fight against another all-time great. What's the harm in it?

I'm not an avid gamer but it's rare that I run into someone that's just so good I don't want to play them. No one I know takes video games that seriously. And even if I am overmatched, it's still fun to play.

This is a weak argument against having a duel mode.
 mrpanicy
05-23-2008, 9:14 AM
Fine. You guys win. The Wii can have its weak excuse for multiplayer. All I am saying is a duel mode is a boring simplistic way to have semi multiplayer. In truth it should be called duoplayer. All I want is to fight multiple enemies with multiple friends, and Lucasarts has let me down. Now I will have to wait another year or so, possibly more, until they make another game like Jedi Academy so me and my friends can get the multiplayer that is actually enjoyable and cooperative. Multiplayer that is anything but MULTI is weak, if they wanted that type of gameplay they should remake, and I shudder at the thought, Episode III for next gen.

I am not against duel mode as you said, I am just for a fun and entertaining MULTIplayer. You know, where MULTIPLE people can play and have a fun time. I will probably end up trying it, but its not going to have lasting appeal like Academy's multiplayer did.

And adamqd I read that post, it was good, but once i got to the end it shattered all my dreams. Unless LA is lieing, then the Bothan Spies were led astray.
 Gurges-Ahter
05-23-2008, 9:25 AM
I can understand your desire for a multiplayer game - I think it's a great idea too. However, I think the point of the duel mode in TFU is just an addition to the primary purpose of the game, which is neither "duoplayer" or multiplayer - it's single player. I think a good multiplayer game needs to stand on its own entirely, which was not the point of including the duel mode in TFU.
 GeneralPloKoon
05-24-2008, 1:07 AM
Battlefront III has to come eventually and that will be our multiplayer Star Wars fix.
 JKAMaster
05-30-2008, 5:09 PM
Hopefully there will be mutliplayer in 360 and PS3, it would just be dumb not to have it, there's no reason not to.
 Qwerty Uiop
05-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Battlefront III has to come eventually and that will be our multiplayer Star Wars fix.

If they won't have it on TFU, they NEED to make BF3.
 RyuuKage
05-31-2008, 1:34 AM
I still think overall gameplay will be the best on the PS3/360 versions, but it looks like Wii is shaping up to be the real deal version of the game.

seems like it, doesn't it? oh well...wii and 360 versions XD
 M@RS
05-31-2008, 1:35 AM
ah, okay I didn't know that
 Rinku
06-05-2008, 2:07 PM
Is that the Wii version? The graphics look...disappointing.

I saw that and they say that the graphics were not done yet.
 Exile007
06-23-2008, 1:47 AM
But as much as I like more story from the saga's creator, that isn't going to really interest me if the game is sub par. Worst case this game could turn out to be Star Wars' Enter the Matrix...

Oh No!!!
 PoiuyWired
06-25-2008, 3:31 PM
adamqd , is that "can opener" in your sig th new lightsaber for TFU? Can't say I am impressed.
 adamqd
06-25-2008, 5:04 PM
No you cheeky bastard, It's an "Old Republic style" Saber I created in Adobe Illustrator! ;)
 M@RS
06-25-2008, 6:03 PM
Haha! The hilt that the main character in TFU uses looks like Anakin's...
 Darth Kothos
06-27-2008, 3:41 AM

Yes the 360/PS3 versions do lack the multiplayer that the wii will support, but the fact is they will be two different games. The wii simply can't support the kind of detail and immersion that will go into the 360/PS3 version. I think that they chose to leave out mulitplayer so they could focus more on the telling of the story, which is really what this game is about when you get right down to it. (sorry, i know this replay came a little late)
 Lord Foley
06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah, it's a shame DMM and Euphoria aren't going to be on Wii. But I am excited about the multiplayer.
 M@RS
06-27-2008, 1:26 PM
Yeah, what's up with all of the this console has this those consoles have that the PC doesn't get it :lol:
 adamqd
06-27-2008, 1:30 PM
Just bought a wii today, and pre-ordered the wii version as well as my pre-pre-ordered 360 version, I aint missin nothin for no one :)
 M@RS
06-27-2008, 1:31 PM
Lucky, my dad says that "Hell will freeze over before I get a console" :lol:
 adamqd
06-27-2008, 1:37 PM
get a job bro, thats how I own all the consoles (bar ps3 because I dont want one) and a PC, although if your too young, a 360 elite will take some serious paper boy-ing to afford :)
Page: 1 of 2