Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

so i made my very very first skin (opinions

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedi Master Aagin
05-03-2008, 4:55 PM
i was trying to make a zabrak and uhhh
i got the facial tattoos... done
but its not what i was thinking...
anyways, here is a screenie....
releasable or not?
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/darth_aagin/swkotor2008-04-2220-52-06-65.jpg)
and dont go all "wow that is a quality skin there!" on me cause i know your all snickering at this!
 TriggerGod
05-03-2008, 5:10 PM
"Wow, thats some quality skin there!"
Ok, since I can't do sarcasm, I'll do constructive criticism. :D
1) Looks like it was done in paint
2) See #1

So I suggest using a more detailed tool using something like Photoshop or GIMP.
And, if you want it to be a zabrak, theres some things your missing in the head department...
 Marius Fett
05-03-2008, 5:25 PM
Darth, to be honest it does look like it was done in Paint, though it's clear you tried hard.

What I recommend you do, is take a look at the tutorials in the skinning section, and get to grips with the software a little more.

Maybe try for a Darth Maul theme?

Keep trying,

-DDD
 ForeverNight
05-03-2008, 5:30 PM
Get The GIMP... That is the best Paintshop type program you can get for free.

Also, if you're trying for a Zabrak, you might want to learn modeling as well.

But, its probably better than I could do without playing around with color tools.
 nine.roses
05-03-2008, 5:33 PM
The most important thing is to plan: know what you want before you start. You clearly aren't happy with the final result here (I presume it's because the tattoo around the mouth looks like a red beard), so I recommend you try again once having thoroughly thought what you want through. Try and find patterns on the internet; even better if you can find some related to Star Wars. Use research like this to help you construct a good facial tattoo pattern.

Also, try to inject more depth into the colour by using more than one tone when adding something new onto the skin. Read a skinning tutorial, and try to use the fancy techniques they suggest to get a good-quality result.

Above all, if you don't have it already, get Photoshop or some other advanced image editing program as TriggerGod has suggested. No successful skinners have operated out of a standard editor like MSPaint.

This first endeavour was a brave one, and I'm glad you've shared what you've done with us. If you're willing to put the time and effort in, I'm sure you'll be able to produce some truly wonderful skins.

Good luck, and I hope to see you posting more of your work here soon. :)
 EnderWiggin
05-03-2008, 5:35 PM
i was trying to make a zabrak and uhhh
i got the facial tattoos... done
but its not what i was thinking...
anyways, here is a screenie....
releasable or not?
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/darth_aagin/swkotor2008-04-2220-52-06-65.jpg)
and dont go all "wow that is a quality skin there!" on me cause i know your all snickering at this!

Umm.... did you just use the paintbrush tool and the stock red?

Because that might be the problem.

Might want to check out some of the tutorials in the skinning subforum if you want some more practice.

_EW_
 Jedi Master Aagin
05-03-2008, 6:00 PM
ummm i did use gimp...
D:
 jonathan7
05-03-2008, 6:06 PM
ummm i did use gimp...
D:

It does take a long time to do good skins, e.g. my Mandalorian Special Forces skin has taken about 14 hours so far.

It takes practice; personally I don't do tutorials, I experiment and see what all the different buttons do (thats how I got good at Photoshop) I then supplimented that knoweldge with a few tutorials.

I would strongly recommend in your case if you aren't going to experiment with the program to do a few of the tutorials in the skinning section; it will help you greatly!
 Jedi Master Aagin
05-03-2008, 6:08 PM
another thing, how do i get the files for characters instead of modifying stuff i havei n my override?
 jonathan7
05-03-2008, 6:21 PM
Most questions you have are already answered, pleased use the search function it is your friend :waive1:, I may not always be around, due to commiting suicide over your lack of search function usage.

Also look in the skinning forum; you would have found...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144809)

;)
 Doc Valentine
05-03-2008, 7:29 PM
The most important thing is to plan: know what you want before you start. You clearly aren't happy with the final result here (I presume it's because the tattoo around the mouth looks like a red beard), so I recommend you try again once having thoroughly thought what you want through. Try and find patterns on the internet; even better if you can find some related to Star Wars. Use research like this to help you construct a good facial tattoo pattern.

Also, try to inject more depth into the colour by using more than one tone when adding something new onto the skin. Read a skinning tutorial, and try to use the fancy techniques they suggest to get a good-quality result.

Above all, if you don't have it already, get Photoshop or some other advanced image editing program as TriggerGod has suggested. No successful skinners have operated out of a standard editor like MSPaint.

This first endeavour was a brave one, and I'm glad you've shared what you've done with us. If you're willing to put the time and effort in, I'm sure you'll be able to produce some truly wonderful skins.

Good luck, and I hope to see you posting more of your work here soon. :)

I have to say I agree with this 100%, it really helps to have an idea of what you are going to make before you make it. Research really helps to give your creations more meaning, especially in the Star Wars universe.

I would keep it up, I'm sure after a bit of clean-up that texture will look mighty fine ;).

-Doc
 Kainzorus Prime
05-03-2008, 8:13 PM
Ultimate rule numero uno of skinning: Never ever use flat coloring like this.
 TriggerGod
05-03-2008, 8:40 PM
Ultimate Rule Numero Dos: Use designs to get praise. The more complicated, the better. Keep it between "Flat Coloring" and "Practically Impossible to Create a second time" :D
 settoken
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
totally unreleasable
keep practicing and you'll get it
good work
 DarthJebus05
05-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Rule number 2:

Never show off, or release your first mod.

In this case, your skin.

But practice makes perfect.
Page: 1 of 1