Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

(K1) recruitable Vrook?

Page: 1 of 1
 HK-28294
04-14-2008, 7:21 PM
Hey all, this is my first post on the forums. I'm not new to the forum or modding, as I've been a member here for a while and I've followed quite a few tutorials and made some custom items for my own use that I've never released. Now, for what ever reason (boredom perhaps?), I've gotten the urge to make a new mod.
I'm considering a mod to make Vrook a recruitable character that will replace juhani once you complete your training on dant. I've read a lot of tutorials and such but still have a number of questions as to how to go about creating this mod. What I want to do is eliminate the dialog that says "juhani has asked to join you" and replace it vrook telling the other masters that he does not feel comfortable with the council sending the PC on this mission alone for the risk of revan reclaiming his former identity is too high (with perhaps a cut scene?). Vrook will then join the party as a powerful jedi consular. Later in the game, vrook would replace juhani at the unknown planet and either help the PC if lightside or battle the PC if he sides with Bastila. I have many questions but mostly want to ask just a basic general one: Would you experienced modders feel this is mostly possible and what would it entail as far as work load? Tons or moderate?

Also, if I create custom dialog for vrook is there a way to make it actually sound like him using the files that already exist?

Any help, questions, comments, suggestions, all welcome... thanks.

Update: Working on this slowly... so far I've done some preliminary testing and its working out ok so far. My real challenge is going to be making some custom cut scences and dialong. I'm also a bit unsure of which npc I want to replace. Any way, any suggestions/comments welcome of course.
vrook screenie (http://www.uploadit.org/my.php?image=http://premium1.uploadit.org/JayM14//vrook1.jpg)
 jonathan7
04-14-2008, 9:32 PM
While I would not classify myself as expieranced; Your looking at an awful lot of work, especially if you want Vrook to be voiced with his voice; you'd have to cut alot of words individually then put them back togeather in the desired order; I hope you understand why this would take alot of time especially if you wanted alot of dialogue.

My advice is start small and work your way up; you don't learn to ride a bike untill you have learned to walk afterall ;) There is also a BIG difference between reading a tutorial and doing; especially when putting into action skills learnt in a slightly different context to the tutorial; trial and error is always helpful, and ultimatly I think learnign by doing is the best method, hope that helps :) and welcome to the forums fully after your first post!
 HdVaderII
04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
If you wanted to make it easier, you could not VO vrook, that would help. But then the mod would seem unfinished.
If this is your first recruit though, I would make somebody other than vrook. Less strings attached.
 Darth Payne
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I have to agree with HdVaderII.

It might be better if you have Vrook send along someone he trusts instead.

Best choices for a jedi master would be a Twi'lek, that way you could make all the lines you would need.

Though that is just my opinion.
 HK-28294
04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Hmm... first off, I want to thank you guys for taking the time to read to and respond to my post. I see that I've picked a rather difficult task, but I want to investigate it a bit further before I scrap my idea all together. I'm not unwilling to spend the time to do quality work as long as I can get going in the correct direction. I have another question for you guys... if I was going to try and make custom dialog for vrook, is it possible to utilize his dlg files from K2 in k1? If so I should have more than enough to work with... once I figure out how to dice up and re-edit the sounds that is!
 HdVaderII
04-15-2008, 1:02 PM
No, sorry that would be porting, and we don't discuss this at lucasforums.
 jonathan7
04-15-2008, 2:33 PM
Hmm... first off, I want to thank you guys for taking the time to read to and respond to my post. I see that I've picked a rather difficult task, but I want to investigate it a bit further before I scrap my idea all together. I'm not unwilling to spend the time to do quality work as long as I can get going in the correct direction. I have another question for you guys... if I was going to try and make custom dialog for vrook, is it possible to utilize his dlg files from K2 in k1? If so I should have more than enough to work with... once I figure out how to dice up and re-edit the sounds that is!

Unfortunatly porting is illegal; the following is taken from the Forum Rules sticky for HL

7. Mods containing assets (models, textures, sounds, etc.) ported from another game are prohibited

It is against Lucasarts policy to port assets from one game to another. Holowan Laboratories does not condone porting of this nature, and moderators will close or delete any thread or posts discussing such mods, even if it is for your own personal use. The exception to this is if the asset in question is present in both KOTOR and TSL. Modders may create from scratch mods that resemble assets from another game.

As said above quite a few random things from K1 are left in TSL and unused however, unfortunatly Vrook's dialogue is not one of those things; so splicing would be the only way to do it. Vrook uses quite a few words in TSL, so i think you could achieve voiced dialogue with him; just be aware it would take time to do any. The pro at splicing and the man to PM with questions regarding this aspect of the Mod is Sith Holocron.

The best tip, is to get started doign things; and when you get to a problem try and fix it, if you can't post here for advice. Hope that helps :)
 Marius Fett
04-15-2008, 3:05 PM

Using actual K1 files wouldn't be allowed, though making exact copies using DLGEditor would be. It would take quite a while however.
 Inyri
04-15-2008, 3:08 PM
though making exact copies using DLGEditor would be.Um, no. :)

That's like saying "I can't submit a photocopy of this person's term paper, but if I rewrite it word-for-word myself it's okay!" Still not acceptable.
 Marius Fett
04-15-2008, 3:18 PM
If you look at the rules, you'll find this:

Modders may create from scratch mods that resemble assets from another game.
 Inyri
04-15-2008, 3:19 PM
If you look at the rules, you'll find this:resembleNote that the word "resemble" and the word "copy" do not have the same meaning. :)
 Marius Fett
04-15-2008, 3:21 PM
Bah, you win.

Maybe not exact copies, but very similar ones would be perfectly acceptable.
 HK-28294
04-15-2008, 3:56 PM
I know what you guys are saying, perhaps I incorrectly stated what I want to do. I do intend on making original material while using existing as a guideline.

also:
I've done some searching but cant seem to find a tutorial on creating custom cut content. Did I just miss it? if so, does someone have a link?
 Darth Xander
04-15-2008, 4:21 PM
Bah, you win.

Maybe not exact copies, but very similar ones would be perfectly acceptable.
But not too simalar .
 Inyri
04-15-2008, 4:22 PM
Why don't you just come up with your own work/ideas? Then it won't be an issue. :)
 HK-28294
04-17-2008, 6:56 PM
Update: Working on this slowly... so far I've done some preliminary testing and its working out ok so far. My real challenge is going to be making some custom cut scenes and dialog. I'm also a bit unsure of which npc I want to replace. Any way, any suggestions/comments welcome of course.
vrook screenie (http://www.uploadit.org/my.php?image=http://premium1.uploadit.org/JayM14//vrook1.jpg)[/QUOTE])
 settoken
04-17-2008, 9:49 PM
that's a good idea
you still want to ad custom dialog ?
cuting word by word to then reassemble it isn't a good idea in my opinion
and if you don't know Cubase or some kind of sequecing software, you'll spend a lot of time learning it (it may be a good thing) with weird tone dialogs as a final result.
you'd better make a new recruitable party or entirely revoice Vrook for your mod...:)
Anyway, good luck and don't give up, it's only a question of work
 xrefusex
04-19-2008, 3:19 PM
I'd recommend you download audacity (it's free) if you want to 'remix' the existing mp3 dialogs to create new ones. Results might not be the best though, as noted by others.

Still, with a bit of clever storywriting and some additional filters, you could pull it off...
Page: 1 of 1