Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What's the big deal about Revan?

Page: 1 of 1
 Astor
04-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Recently, I seem to have noticed that Revan seems to attract a fair amount of fanboyism, almost on a scale similar to the Fetts (but that's another matter).

I've noticed in various threads, such as 'Revan vs. XXXX character, who would win?', that Revan invariably wins, because he is 'teh uber'. And some of the comments are quite strange - 'Revan wins because he is the best at everything', often with no verifiable sources or reasoning - he's just simply 'the best'.

So, my question is this - What is it about Revan that causes people to obsess?

I'm not asking this to cause an argument, i'm genuinely interested in why people idolise him in such a way.

Discuss
 JoeDoe 2.0
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, his sense of style and the fact that he survived Kreia could be why :p

I think is because all the mystery that surrounds Revan makes people like him (not much was said on the games about his past) plus he wields great power and he's a gifted Jedi Knight/Sith Lord and sort of a rebel :D
 Inyri
04-07-2008, 11:38 AM
You should notice that it's not just Revan, but most main-character Sith Lords seem to attract such attention. Vader has his share of fanboys (even more, now since there's the added benefit of Vader fanboys plus Anakin fanboys, and since they're the same person they kind of meld into one). Sidious and Maul also have quite a following.

The 'Revan fanboyism' only seems to be amplified here because this is a KotOR forum. :)

The only reason Malak doesn't have a fanboy following is because Revan took the cake on that one. The appeal with Revan is probably also amplified because he was not only one of the most powerful Sith Lords (and one of the first), but he was also a very powerful light-side Jedi, so you get fans from both ends of the spectrum.
 patient_zero
04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
The way I see it, it's because you are Revan, so when judging them against other characters people up his/her abilities because it's a way of thinking that it's them that can beat up Darth Vader/(Insert Other Powerful Character Here) with their bare fists. The Exile gets the same treatment but to a lesser extent, though I think this might be because more people seem to have played/enjoyed K1, and the fact that The Exile was never Dark Lord/Lady Of The Sith.

Plus, most of K1 has people bigging up Revan's skills in tactics and the Force and such in order to make "the reveal" all the more powerful. Then the second has a combination of that and chucks in the idea of Revan having really been "good" all along, meaning even people who don't have evilgasms at the idea of being a Sith Lord can idolise Revan's power.
 TKA-001
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I view Revan/Exile fanboyism as fictional self-glorification, fantasy fulfillment, and close-mindedness on the part of legions of empty-headed fangirls (and a significantly smaller number of equally empty-headed fanboys). If you've ever been to the KFM forums, you'll know what I'm talking about.
 Astor
04-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I view Revan/Exile fanboyism as fictional self-glorification, fantasy fulfillment, and close-mindedness on the part of legions of empty-headed fangirls (and a few fanboys). If you've ever been to the KFM forums, you'll know what I'm talking about.

That really does make sense, and I think I can sort of agree. So, it goes like this - Revan saves the galaxy, becoming the greatest (that's debatable) Jedi, wielding awesome powers, so, by extension, the player becomes 'awesome'.

Vader has his share of fanboys (even more, now since there's the added benefit of Vader fanboys plus Anakin fanboys, and since they're the same person they kind of meld into one). Sidious and Maul also have quite a following.

True, but I count myself as a Vader/Sidious Fanboy :xp:
 Inyri
04-07-2008, 1:07 PM
I used to be a bit of a Vader fangirl until the prequels came out. That fairly well ruined it for me. x.X
 Marius Fett
04-07-2008, 2:08 PM
I used to be a bit of a Vader fangirl until the prequels came out. That fairly well ruined it for me.

To be honest, I think the prequels killed Star Wars. AotC was pretty good, RotS was ok, but TPM was just terrible.

Long live the originals though! :D
 Inyri
04-07-2008, 2:14 PM
See, I'd say RotS sucked, AotC was barely okay, and TPM was acceptable (more in hindsight than at the time). TPM actually had a lot of great actors, Liam Neeson being most prominent in that category. Plus the duel with Darth Maul is arguable the best lightsaber duel in all 6 movies (it's not ridiculously unrealistic like the ones in AotC and RotS).

I think things like those 'ridiculous' saber battles is what feeds fanboyism. For those of us that prefer something more realistic, though, it destroys it quite well. It's an interesting point in the 'fanboy' debate, I think, and deserves merit.

Just imagine if there had been some Revan/Malak/Exile lightsaber duel cutscenes. Imagine how much MORE people would obsess over them. :p
 jonathan7
04-07-2008, 2:46 PM
See, I'd say RotS sucked, AotC was barely okay, and TPM was acceptable (more in hindsight than at the time). TPM actually had a lot of great actors, Liam Neeson being most prominent in that category. Plus the duel with Darth Maul is arguable the best lightsaber duel in all 6 movies (it's not ridiculously unrealistic like the ones in AotC and RotS).

I think things like those 'ridiculous' saber battles is what feeds fanboyism. For those of us that prefer something more realistic, though, it destroys it quite well. It's an interesting point in the 'fanboy' debate, I think, and deserves merit.

Just imagine if there had been some Revan/Malak/Exile lightsaber duel cutscenes. Imagine how much MORE people would obsess over them. :p

I don't quite understand the obsession with Revan; in that she (in my universe Revan is a woman, but thats another issue) is undoubtley one of the most powerful forces users of the period, but that doesnt make you invincible.

I liked RotS, I thought AotC and TPM were ok, but no this George; I would have a better script and better films; which says alot as I have about as much filming ability as a squirrel.
 SilentScope001
04-07-2008, 2:56 PM
I view Revan/Exile fanboyism as fictional self-glorification, fantasy fulfillment, and close-mindedness on the part of legions of empty-headed fangirls (and a significantly smaller number of equally empty-headed fanboys). If you've ever been to the KFM forums, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Amen. Any type of fanboyism has some self-glorification. In fact, since you play as Revan/Exile, you can see them both as just being 'Mary Sues', that YOU are the one who is awesome. Mary Sues are great...for the person who is the Mary Sue, but it's not great for, say, everyone else.

People however play games for fun, which often times mean fufilling the ego. I mean, would you really want to play as Stormtrooper #59,681,954,013, who gets blown up by Rebel troopers about 5 seconds into combat? I know I would. I know everyone else wouldn't.
 Ravnas
04-07-2008, 3:09 PM
Amen. Any type of fanboyism has some self-glorification. In fact, since you play as Revan/Exile, you can see them both as just being 'Mary Sues', that YOU are the one who is awesome. Mary Sues are great...for the person who is the Mary Sue, but it's not great for, say, everyone else.

People however play games for fun, which often times mean fufilling the ego. I mean, would you really want to play as Stormtrooper #59,681,954,013, who gets blown up by Rebel troopers about 5 seconds into combat? I know I would. I know everyone else wouldn't.

Unless you are incredibly modest and pessimistic :D But Revan is over hyped. I personally prefer the Exile due to that it is never mentioned if he/she is a high ranking General in the war.
 Corinthian
04-07-2008, 3:45 PM
Revan Fanboyism is no surprise. TSL just amplified it by making Kreia play up Revan - He never really fell, he was the Heart of the Force...I was expecting her to canonize him as Saint Darth Revan in a minute.
 jonathan7
04-07-2008, 7:55 PM
Revan Fanboyism is no surprise. TSL just amplified it by making Kreia play up Revan - He never really fell, he was the Heart of the Force...I was expecting her to canonize him as Saint Darth Revan in a minute.

They have cannonized far worse; im trying to decide if I can be bothered to go into Photoshop to make this image happen.
 JCarter426
04-08-2008, 4:35 AM
So, my question is this - What is it about Revan that causes people to obsess?

I have no clue. I honestly don't. I think this is one of those cases where you don't know what it means to be one unless you are one, and if you are one, you'll never admit it (a strange parallel to Revan's Sithiness).

Other people's overinflated opinion of Revan have virtually spoiled the character for me (that, and he's an arrogant fool with a god complex :xp: ). Fortunately, few people like the Exile, so I've still got her by my side (though I'll admit that I have an overinflated opinion of her, to counter the general underestimation of the Exile :p).
 Miles Edgeworth
04-08-2008, 8:53 AM
Long live the originals though! :D

Pfft! Originals Fanboy... :p

Honestly, I dont know what causes Revan fanboys, I always thought that most PCs are shallow characters. I remember yesterday's PotD on KotORFiles, I remember how many times I resisted posting, because of stuff like this:

In this 5 five year Revan could learn everything that he lost, and became stronger than before. Remember the Words of Malak: "Well done, Revan. I was certain the defenses of the Star Forge would destroy you, but I see there is more of your old self in you than I expected. You are stronger than I thought; stronger than you ever were during your reign as the Dark Lord. I did not think that was possible." If Revan was stronger on the Star Forge than before, then five year later HE IS INVINCIBLE.
 JK24
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
IMHO, there's a combination of reasons for why people obsess about Revan. Like others have said, one of the reasons is that you get to play as him in K1 and that gives the impression that they are actually Revan and that way they increase his abilities considerably and over the edge. Another valid reason that has been mentioned before, is that Revan was one of the greatest Sith Lords/Jedi Knights of his era and so he gets fanboys from both sides of the barricade. Yet another reason for the obsession with Revan is that he's the Anakin Skywalker of his era...incredible force potential and great lightsaber skills. Eventually people get bored with Anakin and so move on to another character with similar characteristics to the Chosen One, in this case Revan.

I definetely think that the exaggerated fanboyism is hurting Revan as a character though and some arguments I have seen for Revan winning a battle are just plain ridiculous. I won't lie, I'm probably infected with Revan fanboyism as well, :D but I still don't think he's all-powerful, invincible or 'teh uber'. I just like to think of him as one of the greatest Jedi/Sith Lords of his era, because that's what he actually is.
 Ctrl Alt Del
04-08-2008, 8:18 PM
Quoted for truth.

Alas, Revan fanboyism is fine. The excess is nocive to the whole sect of praisers, though. People get weary after so much love diplay.
 Serpentine Cougar
04-09-2008, 12:31 AM
I like Revan, but he's not the best character I've ever seen, or my favorite. The reason I like Revan isn't for any qualities or merits of his own. (So you were a really skilled general and strategist and really powerful in the ways of the force? Aren't we all...) I like him mainly just for the plot twist that centers around him in the Kotor story.
 JCarter426
04-09-2008, 12:42 AM
The reason I like Revan isn't for any qualities or merits of his own. (So you were a really skilled general and strategist and really powerful in the ways of the force? Aren't we all...) I like him mainly just for the plot twist that centers around him in the Kotor story.

My reason exactly.
 adamqd
04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
As said before it's because you are Revan, and also because it was such a cool new look at Star Wars, Game, era and story wise. theres only so many times you can relive someone else's journey, with kotOR you got the custom game play and re-play value. People are bound to get attached to a character if it's actually "you".
 JCarter426
04-10-2008, 3:58 AM
Then why isn't it the same with the Exile? I'm inclined to say that it's because the Exile is female, but this was the case long before that was entered into canon. Could be that more people have played K1 than 2, I guess (but that's another matter ;)).
 JK24
04-10-2008, 8:54 AM
Then why isn't it the same with the Exile? I'm inclined to say that it's because the Exile is female, but this was the case long before that was entered into canon. Could be that more people have played K1 than 2, I guess (but that's another matter ;)).

Maybe it's also because of K2's darker atmosphere. It might be that people prefer games with lighter atmoshperes and an actual ending, but yeah there's also the possibility that more have played K1 than K2.
 jonathan7
04-10-2008, 9:59 AM
Personally I think Revan was a very Gifted force user, probably in Battle Meditation, a supreme leader while i think the Exile was a lesser leader, I always think that the Exile is the more gifted one on one fighter; and is quite probably under rated by many.

In my universe Revan is a woman, while the Exile is a man.
 JCarter426
04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Personally I think Revan was a very Gifted force user, probably in Battle Meditation

I highly doubt that. For instance, the Jedi strike team probably wouldn't have been able to board his ship if that were the case, since they were only able to do so through Bastila's Battle Meditation.

while i think the Exile was a lesser leader

Actually, it's the Exile who Kreia notes is "something more" than a leader.
 Corinthian
04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah. Not EVERYBODY in Star Wars has their significant abilities derived from some Force Power. Some people are just natural strategists.
 jonathan7
04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I highly doubt that. For instance, the Jedi strike team probably wouldn't have been able to board his ship if that were the case, since they were only able to do so through Bastila's Battle Meditation.

Actually, it's the Exile who Kreia notes is "something more" than a leader.

Well; what about the Endar Spire and Bastilia :p been taken by suprise; I would have thought given his successes Revan must of had some sort of Battle Meditation ability;perhaps a lesser version than Bastilia had.

The Exile had power at forming relationships and is a great leader hence being a General; my saying that Revan was better IMO was no saying the Exile wasn't very good. It's a bit like saying Maradonna is better than Cristiano Ronaldo...

Yeah. Not EVERYBODY in Star Wars has their significant abilities derived from some Force Power. Some people are just natural strategists.

Aye, Revan was definatly that too, but personally I think there must of been abit of Battle Meditation in there too.
 JCarter426
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
The Exile had power at forming relationships and is a great leader hence being a General; my saying that Revan was better IMO was no saying the Exile wasn't very good.

I'm not saying Revan wasn't a good leader; I was just pointing out that there's no reason to think either is a better leader.

Well; what about the Endar Spire and Bastilia :p been taken by suprise; I would have thought given his successes Revan must of had some sort of Battle Meditation ability;perhaps a lesser version than Bastilia had.

Revan was successful because he was a leader. ;)

As for the Endar Spire, what does that have to do with Revan? Supposedly, Bastila was taken by surprise, and didn't have time to use her Battle Meditation. Revan's capture was different; if Bastila had time to use hers, Revan probably could have used his, if he had it.
 Gurges-Ahter
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
IMHO, there's a combination of reasons for why people obsess about Revan. Like others have said, one of the reasons is that you get to play as him in K1 and that gives the impression that they are actually Revan and that way they increase his abilities considerably and over the edge. Another valid reason that has been mentioned before, is that Revan was one of the greatest Sith Lords/Jedi Knights of his era and so he gets fanboys from both sides of the barricade. Yet another reason for the obsession with Revan is that he's the Anakin Skywalker of his era...incredible force potential and great lightsaber skills. Eventually people get bored with Anakin and so move on to another character with similar characteristics to the Chosen One, in this case Revan.

I definetely think that the exaggerated fanboyism is hurting Revan as a character though and some arguments I have seen for Revan winning a battle are just plain ridiculous. I won't lie, I'm probably infected with Revan fanboyism as well, :D but I still don't think he's all-powerful, invincible or 'teh uber'. I just like to think of him as one of the greatest Jedi/Sith Lords of his era, because that's what he actually is.

I totally agree with this assessment, and the only thing I can think of to add is that Revan is a bada$$ name. It's easier for me to glorify a character whose name is as strong as his use of the force/jedi skills.

I also think the mystery/aura surrounding his past leads to over-glorification of how strong he was as a Sith Lord. I haven't played KOTOR II/TSL yet, so my opinion is based solely on KOTOR I.

Lastly, IMO, the story line of KOTOR I is as good (and probably better than) the movies, so it makes it really easy to identify and fully accept how powerful Revan can be.

I also found this interesting about Revan's name (from wikipedia):
The name "Revan" is possibly derived from the term revanchism,[1] which is used to describe a political manifestation of the will to reverse territorial losses, often by the way of war; a posture that Revan adopted against the Mandalorians.
 Jvstice
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think Revan's strategising was force inspired, other than maybe occasional flashes of insight, like when you play K1 "seeing" the inside of the Star Map caves. But that could really be just as easily be explained by old memories resurfacing in part, and so there's really no need to attribute even that to force abilities inherent in Revan. Though that could have been Bastilla tampering with his dreams and unlocking parts of his mind when it suited her. Bastilla was a prodigy of battle meditation. I think she'd have commented if she ran into someone on a per with her specific talent in the force in K1, so I think it's safe to say that whatever the source of Revan's skills, it was different in nature than what Bastilla did.

TBH, the only force precognition we've seen are by Exile with her danger sense of the immediate future, and Kreia with the predictions of what your companions will do at the end of K2. So I'd argue that Revan's leadership wasn't simply seeing the future with the force and acting on that, but more based in logic and charisma. And more akin to natural ability in these areas.
 t.walters
07-10-2008, 7:26 PM
well, revan had a badass mask and robe, plus, if you get every little detail out of kreia about revan, you'd start to think hes a badass, plus the entire KOTOR series is centered around him obviously!
 Lord Foley
07-13-2008, 9:33 PM
I love Revan, but let me tell you, I hate it when people insist he was the best Jedi/Sith ever.

I love Revan because his story is compelling and he is simply the best of his era. The fanboyism stems from the fact that Revan was one of if not the most powerful Force users of his time, and no one comparable (movie characters, exar kun and ulic...) was around to take him down a notch. His story is "Revan kick asss, loses his memory, then kicks more ass." I think that's why people love him. I really don't think he was particularly amazing. But he just kept winning.
 TKA-001
07-13-2008, 11:27 PM
and he is simply the best of his era.
To be fair, there's not much competition. Unless Exar Kun counts.
Page: 1 of 1