Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

HTC Touch, need some help with Wi-Fi.

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
04-05-2008, 5:13 PM
Astro dude (or whoever else might know, but I know Astro has one of these)

I just got a HTC Touch (No Dual I'm afraid, as I didn't see the need to compromise my screen size, Wi-Fi etc... for a rubbish keypad)

I need some help with the Wi-Fi bit though, especially on how to use apps with it, cause I can connect to my Wireless Router without a problem, it's giving me a good signal strength and everything around the house.

Problem is, I try to load a page in IE, and it keeps coming up that it can't find the web page and to check the url, when I tried sites like Google n stuff, it's quite weird.

Same goes for the MSN Messenger...Any ideas?

I know it cuts off my GPRS when I connect to WLAN, but it should still be able to connect to the internet then though...I really don't get it.
 Astrotoy7
04-06-2008, 7:15 AM
lolz...shouldve just PMd me negsun...there's too much anti-windows fervour around here for many to have one I imagine ;)

anyway. First, do you have a security password on your wifi?? You need to plug that into your HTC, and male sure correct encryption protocol is selected according to whatever you used in your router setup...epg WEP, WPA-PSK etc Going through WLan properties setup, you can also designate that network eg "negsuns wifi" connects to "The Internet" rather than "Work"(internal WLan). Its usually the encryption settings but that mess people up though ;)

finally, the manual has it all in there if you need to double check!!

as a heads up >> if you don't like the tiny keyboard built into WM6, you can always download HTCs upated software keypad... or there is also a cool app that is aimed to make entering text 'stylus free'. its called TouchPal...worth a try..and free too. Bit fiddly to start, but once you learn it, you can definitely use it without a stylus.. look it up on youtube for a demo.

If you rely on it for a diary, you will quickly discover that the touch interface is a load of bollocks....Some apps I really recommend are:
* SPB Mobile shell and SPB diary. They seriously c*ap all over any calendar/organising/skinning app that WM6 has...
*Memmaid or Pocket mechanic... like a file/registry cleaner for a pda, as WM6 has no such app in it. Importantly, you can designate your browser cache to a memory card
*Core Media Player(FREE) > best media player for mpegs and such.
*Opera 8.5 > best mobile browser, but Ive found the HTCs screen is too small for long term browsing...I find small screens annoying for such prolonged use. FF even has a PDA equivalent(MiniMo), buit its bloated, and not worth the install IMO. Netfront is another popular browser.. Opera has flash built in, allowing access to youtube on a pda. The YT mobile interface is cool, and I often use it on my normal pc... http://m.youtube.com)

IE will finally be introducing their new browser, probably for WM7 though, its currently called 'Project Deepfish' :(

Just in case you haven't had a PDA before....some tips
*Learn how to soft reset... quite often, like large scale PCs, a reboot is the best bet for dealing with performance glitches, especially after youev installed a few things...

*Learn how to do a hard reset, in case things crash terribly, a hard reset is a factory image reinstall >> all data lost

*regular backup you contact either on your sim/memcard, or if you sybc with outlook, make a outlook html backup for all your detailed contact info, addresses, pics etc

*There are many sites that are PDA optimised, you can often get there by type "m." after the http:// or add "/mobile" to a web address.

*Depending on whether you got yours from a provider, you may or may not have trouble sending MMS(picture messages)...as there some finicky server settings to get it going...If you git it through a provider, you generallyw ont have this issue... If you got an unlocked one outright from a dealer/ebay etc, then it might be the case. I have never bothered to set it up as it saves me money to not send MMSs!

Games: >> The HTC isnt a robust gaming machine, but there are some good time fillers on there..great for on a bus, in a line etc :)
*astraware games: bejeweled, bookworm, alchemy.... PDA ports of the games you get on google usually.
*scrabble :)

*pocket morphgear : believe it or not, someone has made a very good emulator for the PPC that can do anything from sega master system to SNES. SNES will work slow the single core Touch tho. But using this you can play all your gave gameboy, NES games via ROMS>> which is legal to do as long as you own the actual game itself.

*www.pocketpcthemes.com) is a cool site for many free themes. You can even make thea, yourself if you get the old(free) proggie from MS that is designed for WM2002 but still makes working background (tsk) files for WM devices

Final tip: dont overload or overclock the HTC, its not really a high end PPC. Best used as a phone/diary. You can do mp3s on it > you can even get apps that ape an ipod interface to organise your albums/playlists etc. I just use the core media player app...nice lite footprint ;)

good luck

PM me if any more queries.

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
04-06-2008, 6:25 PM
lolz...shouldve just PMd me negsun...there's too much anti-windows fervour around here for many to have one I imagine ;)

anyway. First, do you have a security password on your wifi?? You need to plug that into your HTC, and male sure correct encryption protocol is selected according to whatever you used in your router setup...epg WEP, WPA-PSK etc Going through WLan properties setup, you can also designate that network eg "negsuns wifi" connects to "The Internet" rather than "Work"(internal WLan). Its usually the encryption settings but that mess people up though ;)
I've got the right WEP key, and I've checked it was indeed WEP...It connects me to the internet now, but it seems to lose connectivity quite often, even though my signal never drops below 60%
I was able to get onto lucasforums (yay!), and I even signed in, but after that it always gives me an error message either about DNS or connectivity lost or whatever...

Same with MSN Messenger, I was able to sign in and have a small convo with my better half, but every so often the connection drops out and then back on again.

Any ideas about that? Cause WLAN is a feature that really tipped this phone in my favor so I really want it to work properly...

as a heads up >> if you don't like the tiny keyboard built into WM6, you can always download HTCs upated software keypad... or there is also a cool app that is aimed to make entering text 'stylus free'. its called TouchPal...worth a try..and free too. Bit fiddly to start, but once you learn it, you can definitely use it without a stylus.. look it up on youtube for a demo.
I saw one of those on that 4WinMobile.com site you mentioned once, and it looks quite good, I'm still getting used to it though, so I'll see if I can stick with the default one or not.

If you rely on it for a diary, you will quickly discover that the touch interface is a load of bollocks....Some apps I really recommend are:
* SPB Mobile shell and SPB diary. They seriously c*ap all over any calendar/organising/skinning app that WM6 has...
*Memmaid or Pocket mechanic... like a file/registry cleaner for a pda, as WM6 has no such app in it. Importantly, you can designate your browser cache to a memory card.
*Core Media Player(FREE) > best media player for mpegs and such.
*Opera 8.5 > best mobile browser, but Ive found the HTCs screen is too small for long term browsing...I find small screens annoying for such prolonged use. FF even has a PDA equivalent(MiniMo), buit its bloated, and not worth the install IMO. Netfront is another popular browser.. Opera has flash built in, allowing access to youtube on a pda. The YT mobile interface is cool, and I often use it on my normal pc... http://m.youtube.com)
Thanks for those dude, I'll check them out once I get more used to the phone and such...

Just in case you haven't had a PDA before....some tips
*Learn how to soft reset... quite often, like large scale PCs, a reboot is the best bet for dealing with performance glitches, especially after youev installed a few things...
Is that just pressing that wee button at the bottom with your stylus?

*Learn how to do a hard reset, in case things crash terribly, a hard reset is a factory image reinstall >> all data lost
How would you go about doing that?

*regular backup you contact either on your sim/memcard, or if you sybc with outlook, make a outlook html backup for all your detailed contact info, addresses, pics etc
I usually save my contacts on both SIM and Phone Card memory, but I've read there's some good backup proggies for the HTC as well.

*There are many sites that are PDA optimised, you can often get there by type "m." after the http:// or add "/mobile" to a web address.
Cool, cheers :)

Games: >> The HTC isnt a robust gaming machine, but there are some good time fillers on there..great for on a bus, in a line etc :)
*astraware games: bejeweled, bookworm, alchemy.... PDA ports of the games you get on google usually.
*scrabble :)

*pocket morphgear : believe it or not, someone has made a very good emulator for the PPC that can do anything from sega master system to SNES. SNES will work slow the single core Touch tho. But using this you can play all your gave gameboy, NES games via ROMS>> which is legal to do as long as you own the actual game itself.
Thanks for that as well dude...If that morphgear has Zelda: Link's Awakening for the GB available I will do a jig in your honor! Loved that game when I was wee.

Final tip: dont overload or overclock the HTC, its not really a high end PPC. Best used as a phone/diary. You can do mp3s on it > you can even get apps that ape an ipod interface to organise your albums/playlists etc. I just use the core media player app...nice lite footprint ;)
I like the audio manager that's in the Touch Cube, nice big buttons n stuff, very easy to sync loads of music to from WMP (one of the few, if not the only, app that Windows has got it spot on with ;) )

Before that I had to use Wavepad to re-encode audio files I had lying around on my PC to 128kbps because ages ago I decided to rip my whole CD collection, never realizing it was all done in 192kbps...I like to have more space, especially when it makes no difference in sound quality to me.
The only thing WMP doesn't do that Wavepad does is make files louder (unless I've just no looked hard enough)

Thanks for all the help dude!
 Astrotoy7
04-07-2008, 1:10 PM
keep in mind negsun, that most pda's wLan is 802.11b...which isnt that spectacular...

also keep in mind factors like interference, walls, other appliances etc which all mess with signal

wLan isnt a huge deal on a PDA IMO, you get more (quick) stuff done with GPRS, unless you live in a land of free wifi hotpsots!!

mtfbwya
 Ray Jones
04-07-2008, 2:18 PM
There's also UMTS, which I use to connect my phone to the tripple double you. I can also use my phone as UMTS modem for my laptop. Fast, good, everywhere! :~
 Negative Sun
04-07-2008, 6:45 PM
keep in mind negsun, that most pda's wLan is 802.11b...which isnt that spectacular...

also keep in mind factors like interference, walls, other appliances etc which all mess with signal

wLan isnt a huge deal on a PDA IMO, you get more (quick) stuff done with GPRS, unless you live in a land of free wifi hotpsots!!

mtfbwya
Well I'm typing this from my Touch on Wi-Fi just now...tweaked the battery/performance setting on the Wlan and it's been fine since *touches wood* lovin' it.
It says it's 802.11b/g on my phone...and it's pretty quick tbh, considering it's got like the equivalent of a Pentium 1 processor in it lolz.
I could go GPRS but that would cost me mo money with my mobile service provider...(I might use it occasionally on the go though, maybe see if I can stretch my budget to see what offers they've got one that)
I can make do with this around the house though :)
 Astrotoy7
04-08-2008, 10:25 AM
There's also UMTS, which I use to connect my phone to the tripple double you. I can also use my phone as UMTS modem for my laptop. Fast, good, everywhere! :~

ah Ray, if only we could luxuriate in such riches as UMTS/3-4G/HSDPA....

You cant get onto aformentioned networks without a UMTS ready device/sim, of which the older single core GPRS/EDGE HTC touch is nothing near compatible, nor expensive :D

@negsun...glad to hear you got it working the way you like :)

mtfbwya

ps> you got mail ;)
 Ray Jones
04-08-2008, 2:48 PM
Aah, Astro, always contra, contra, contra. :p

My Nokia N73 costed me 1 Euro, the Nokia 6630 before that too. The mobile internet flat rate costs 10 bucks a month. The modem flat would cost 20 bucks. I pay 30 Euro for my DSL flat.
 Astrotoy7
04-09-2008, 3:12 PM
Aah, Astro, always contra, contra, contra. :p

My Nokia N73 costed me 1 Euro, the Nokia 6630 before that too. The mobile internet flat rate costs 10 bucks a month. The modem flat would cost 20 bucks. I pay 30 Euro for my DSL flat.

lmao...what I find amusing about that is that I have thought that you were an American right up until reading that post > must be due to the air of always being correct you exude, a typically American trait ;) As a result, I actually even assumed you may have been Texan !! :lol:

mtfbwya
 Ray Jones
04-09-2008, 3:19 PM
XD lol how could you miss my German accent dude
 Det. Bart Lasiter
04-09-2008, 9:17 PM
Fun Fact: Ray is the guy driving the Porsche in Super Troopers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBv3HDjX-hc).
 Astrotoy7
04-10-2008, 12:26 AM
XD lol how could you miss my German accent dude

Great, now I think you look like Siegfried from Get Smart...or should I say Schmart! :p

http://www.bcpl.net/~cbirkmey/graphics/cast_sieg.gif)

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1