Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

tech help with windows

Page: 1 of 1
 dewayne26
03-30-2008, 9:18 PM
i have window xp. earlier tonight i had to a system restore. i was waiting for the window to come up after windows starts up. but my cat sat on my surge protector's switch. now windows is running. but i cann't bring up system restore or the help center. my sister suggest trying inserting my windows cp disk and trying to repair windows but i cann't find a option to do it. do i need to reformat?
 Jae Onasi
03-30-2008, 9:39 PM
Moved from Kavar's Corner in Kotor section to General Tech Forum.
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-30-2008, 9:40 PM
That's not really the kind of serious issues we debate here.

I see you've got this posted on the right location. Stick with that one. ;)

EDIT: When it was on the Kavar's Corner, of course. :)
 urluckyday
03-30-2008, 9:44 PM
Unfortunately, that's the problem w/ kids and animals around hardware. I don't know if that's what you have to do, but reformatting is a big step...if you do feel you must restore...make sure you save all of your files...wait for some real help before doing this though...
 dewayne26
03-30-2008, 9:46 PM
That's not really the kind of serious issues we debate here.

I see you've got this posted on the right location. Stick with that one. ;)

EDIT: When it was on the Kavar's Corner, of course. :)

sorry i didn't see the general tech forums sorry
 Tommycat
03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Some things you can do.

You can do a system restore using the XP disk. This is done by inserting the disk and booting from it. The initial screen that asks if you want to restore, say no. The next option you can do a restore of the install. This will copy over all the needed files from the CD to your Windows directory.

You can install in what is known as an overlay install. You just follow the steps to install XP as normal but do not format. This will ensure that you have all the files in your old home directory still available.

The nicest option is to do a system restore using safe mode. Hopefully you have a good restore point. Boot up like normal, but before you get to the windows logo screen, hold down F8. Select safe mode, and once it loads up, hit Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. This will open up the system restore wizard. select a date when you knew it was good. and restore while holding the cat away from the computer haha...
 dewayne26
03-31-2008, 12:45 AM
I accidently did a repair and recovery when i i did the install i guess my old directory still there. my games are still install nut i'm back pre sp2. is there way to if my directory is still around? i can only restore to the point did the reair and recovery. i guess i screwed up
 Ray Jones
03-31-2008, 5:29 AM
I lost orientation when the cat had an accident running the Windows start up folder using your repaired sister.

If you really want us to help you, please rephrase:

- what happened?
- what did you do?
- what does work?
- what does not work?

just follow the steps to install XP as normal but do not formatThey should print that on every XP installation media.
 Astrotoy7
03-31-2008, 8:16 AM
I accidently did a repair and recovery when i i did the install i guess my old directory still there. my games are still install nut i'm back pre sp2. is there way to if my directory is still around? i can only restore to the point did the reair and recovery. i guess i screwed up

If you've completed a "repair install" and now all you have are restore points originating from the time of the repair install, they that stuff is forr all intents and purposes...gone!

Unless you have done a clean re-zero/wipe, a data recovery tech can fish it out for you, for a few hundred bucks ;) But methinks that isnt an option here!

mtfbwya
 dewayne26
03-31-2008, 9:12 AM
Thanks for the help. i'm going to work with what i got isn't bad. but i got a question yesterday after everything happen tried uninstalling mcafee. but their was a problem and it just removed from my add or remove list. how do manually uninstall it?

i got mcafee uniinstalled. turns out it was the cuperate behind my problems
 Astrotoy7
04-01-2008, 10:04 AM
yes, those darn AV proggies, worm their way into your whole system

I use avast nowdays. Free & Good!

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
04-05-2008, 4:59 PM
McAfee, Kapersky and Norton are what the sons of Satan are called!

Avast is indeed much better, lighter and free-er :)
Page: 1 of 1