Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will it work on vista?

Page: 1 of 1
 boyd
03-25-2008, 5:39 PM
I've got psychonauts for the PS2 and want to buy it for PC.
I just want to know, will it work ok with windows vista?
 Jove
03-26-2008, 11:32 PM
I've got psychonauts for the PS2 and want to buy it for PC.
I just want to know, will it work ok with windows vista?

It might. It's Windows, so it's a gamble. It's Vista, so it's fraught. I got a PS2 and play Psychonauts there, despite the poor graphics and controls, because years of fighting Windows soured me on it.

Still, here are some tips.

You can try the demo first, before spending your money.
http://www.psychonauts.com/psychic.htm)

Run Psychonauts under WinXP SP2 settings in Vista.

Patch Psychonauts to the highest version, also available from http://www.psychonauts.com/psychic.htm)

If running a dual-core processor be prepared for choppy or overfast play. Lower the affinity for one of the processors in that case.

Update video and sound cards with the latest drivers.
Update to the latest version of DirectX.

Reboot Vista at least weekly. Reboot an extra time or two after updates, upgrades, installs, etc.

Run Scandisk a few times, then defragment the hard drive. Ignore the defragmenter's recommendations. Windows will happily focus on using the only fragmented part of an otherwise clean drive. Do a surface scan overnight. Do all this every 6 months or so in any case, or when there are problems.

One person got Psychonauts acceptably stable after problems by running Norton Disk Doctor unattended.

Please let us know how it goes, and if the controls and graphics are really that much better.
 urluckyday
03-27-2008, 1:48 AM
I can almost guarantee that it will work on Vista. Once you get past install, which should be fine, and if there are any problems, use "compatibility mode" along with running it as an administrator should solve most problems. I wouldn't worry bout anything not working on Vista. I'd go for it, but let us know how it turns out!
 boyd
03-27-2008, 6:59 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - I'm gonna order it as soon as possible and will let you know how it works whenever I can (this might be a few weeks but I'll get it soon!)
 urluckyday
03-27-2008, 3:08 PM
Cool. Best of luck!
 boyd
03-28-2008, 9:41 AM
Cool. Best of luck!

hmm... I just tried the demo - it did work but both the cut scenes and the gameplay was really slow. I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but it might be to do with my operating system :confused:
 Jove
03-28-2008, 10:54 PM
hmm... I just tried the demo - it did work but both the cut scenes and the gameplay was really slow. I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but it might be to do with my operating system :confused:

Vista, right?
Did you patch to the latest version of Psychonauts?
Did you configure Vista to run Psychonauts in a WinXP SP2 environment?
 urluckyday
03-29-2008, 1:00 AM
It shouldn't have anything to do w/ the OS. What are your system specs???
 boyd
03-29-2008, 6:44 AM
Did you patch to the latest version of Psychonauts?

ahh.. I didn't notice there was a patch for the demo as well - I'll try that first
 martmeister
04-05-2008, 8:06 AM
Doubtful. Vista f*** up everything. But hey, the Aero interface will so pwn the Psychonauts main menu (not!)
 boyd
04-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Doubtful. Vista f*** up everything. But hey, the Aero interface will so pwn the Psychonauts main menu (not!)

Yeah, the demo ran really slowly
 urluckyday
04-05-2008, 6:04 PM
What hardware are you using? Have you ever thought that it may not be Microsoft's fault that certain things don't work? Vista has only slightly screwed up Grim Fandango (which XP did for me as well), but everything works just as well or better on Vista...I can bet you that most people who "hate" vista haven't even used it long enough to judge...
So, what are your computer specs?
 Jove
04-06-2008, 9:27 AM
What hardware are you using? Have you ever thought that it may not be Microsoft's fault that certain things don't work? Vista has only slightly screwed up Grim Fandango (which XP did for me as well), but everything works just as well or better on Vista...I can bet you that most people who "hate" vista haven't even used it long enough to judge...

I've been using Vista for about a year on a machine purchased new with Vista on it. Installed memory has been quadrupled since then with limited improvement in performance. I can't express my true feelings about Vista without causing your monitor to explode. It would also violate the Vista license, which was written to make criticism legally difficult.

More:

"Passing the Torch"

Jim Louderback, Editor-in-Chief, PC Magazine, 08.15.07
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2170275,00.asp)

"The litany of what doesn't work and what still frustrates me [in Vista] stretches on endlessly."

"The upshot is that even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled!"

Then there are these critics of Vista, exposed by a lawsuit against Microsoft.
"...Jon, who is dismayed to learn that the drivers he needs don’t exist? That’s Jon A. Shirley, a Microsoft board member and former president and chief operating officer. And Steven, who reports that missing drivers are anything but exceptional, is in a good position to know: he’s Steven Sinofsky, the company’s senior vice president responsible for Windows."

That's from the NY Times article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09digi.html?_r=1&em&ex=1205380800&en=89901eb2917ab280&ei=5087%0A&oref=slogin)
 urluckyday
04-06-2008, 2:02 PM
^Quadroupling memory could me any number of things...really depends on what you start out with...
What are your full system specs...like what video card are you using???

Perhaps you should consider what hardware you are using before blaming it all on Vista...

Here's what I'm using:
Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz
2 Gigs of ram (expandable to 4 gigs)
ATI Radeon 2600 HD PCI-Express card

(all of this in a laptop)

And for some reason...w/ only 2 gigs of ram, it still runs a lot faster than my XP computer...hmmm...people put so much crap on their computer then blame it on the OS...doesn't seem fair to me...so what are your specs?
 boyd
04-06-2008, 4:52 PM
I'm not blaming it all on vista, and I don't hate it... sorry if it sounded like that's what I was saying.
Not sure of my specs now ><
I'll find out and edit afterwards
 urluckyday
04-06-2008, 5:17 PM
^No, not you...I was directing that towards Jove since he certainly seemed like he hated it...but yeah, let me know what your specs are, and we'll see if that's the problem or if Vista is really to blame. Sorry for the mix-up...

Although, I'm still interested in Jove's specs...
Page: 1 of 1