Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Video Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 teodesetkata
03-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Please, help me!
In most games, like Guild Wars and Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption, there is a bug within my computer that I think it may be due to my video card or something. This hasn't happened before.
Well, it is very difficult to describe the problem as I am not English and I wasn't able to capture it as a picture or video, because whenever I recorded, the problem itself didn't show up! I only managed to catch only one picture.

Anyway, these red/pink things you see on the grass/road are the problem. Wherever I go, the first 20 seconds seem fine, nothing happens, but then, gradually, these things increase and increase. Every second they appear in different spots until they become so much that I am unable to see what I am playing and it is also very bad for my eyes and I cannot see anything. I wasn't able to record it because they stop when I record and appear again when I stop to record. Same thing for pictures, only on this one have they appeared. The same thing is for Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption land battles. The first 20 seconds are OK and then these pink/red circles appear everywhere. Is there a way to fix this? Please help me!
 Q
03-23-2008, 12:52 PM
OK.

This might have a simple solution. I think your GPU is probably getting too hot and artifacting from dust collecting in the heatsink. You're going to have to unplug your computer, open your case and remove the video card. Make sure that you are grounded when you do this as static electricity can turn your video card into an expensive paperweight.

There should be a cover over the fan and heatsink that will need to be removed so that you can clean the dust out off of the fan blades and out of the heatsink channels. Then replace the cover and put the card back in it's slot. You're done. :)

You'll need to do this periodically during the life of the card.
 teodesetkata
03-23-2008, 1:46 PM
I should try this, because I haven't done this in three years. That would probably be the problem. I'll make sure I'll report when I do this. I hope it works. Thank you. :)
 urluckyday
03-23-2008, 2:29 PM
Yeah, i think that was the problem w/ my card..it should help.
 teodesetkata
03-24-2008, 6:00 AM
Thanks a lot, guys! Changing the 'Texture Quality' from Medium to Low fixed the problem, and, furthermore, I'll clean the video card because it hasn't been cleaned for three years! :)
Thanks again!
 urluckyday
03-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, that should reduce its heat quite a bit...unfortunately, that didn't work for me...I would have cared if I didn't get my new comp...but oh well...I just won't be using Nvidia for a looooong time thank god...
 Astrotoy7
03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
good to hear its fixed. That type of artefacting stuff can usually be tweaked from a settings perspective, but cleaning/dusting your cases innards is a must if you want to prolong the life of your kit.

mtfbwya
 teodesetkata
03-24-2008, 1:53 PM
Yeah, after all, I want to enjoy the full potential of the game by setting everything to max, so I'll consider that.
 Negative Sun
03-24-2008, 3:55 PM
What Video Card have you got?
 teodesetkata
03-24-2008, 5:02 PM
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (128 MB)
 urluckyday
03-24-2008, 7:14 PM
Might want to consider an upgrade sometime soon.
 teodesetkata
03-25-2008, 2:59 AM
They're pretty expensive, and I know that it's not that the card itself doesn't please me or something, it's just that it's too old and it causes issues regularly.
And I can't play the games released from 2007 to now because they require better graphics cards, but I guess I'll stay with this card... for now.
Page: 1 of 1