Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Strange Problem with an Unapparent Cause

Page: 1 of 1
 Titanius Anglesmith
03-08-2008, 3:55 AM
Alright, so I had just been sitting here browsing the net, with Windows Media Player being the only other program I had open. I go into WMP, and since I had gotten tired of the song I was listening to, I clicked on another one. It gives me some message about how it can't play the type of file I had selected, when I know for a fact that it can (it was just an MP3 file) since I had listened to it through WMP a hundred times before.

I figured I'd click out of it to find out what the problem is, when I find all my icons (except for Recycle Bin, for some reason) looking like this (http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6351/12892658zy0.jpg). I tried to open up My Computer, but it gives me this (http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/9381/79851598yq4.jpg) message. I tried all the other icons, as well as all the programs in the Start menu, but they all give me the same message.

I also tried to restart the computer, but that did nothing.

I'm still able to open most of the programs by right-clicking on them, going to Properties, then "Open File Location," then opening them from there, but I'd really like for that not to have to be the case, seeing as how that would be quite inconvenient.

Oh, and everything had been working fine until I tried to pick a new song. It seems this just randomly popped out of nowhere.
 Q
03-08-2008, 5:02 AM
All of the icons have the Firefox logo?

This is indeed very weird. I've never seen anything like this before.

Could it be a virus? Try running a full system scan with an up-to-date virus scanner and hang on. I'm sure that Ray or Astro or Jmac or one of the other OS experts can help you.
 Ray Jones
03-08-2008, 5:18 AM
Here's what I'd do:

-reboot, and check if there are any errors during the POST screen (like memory/HDD failure)

-perform a virus scan

-err.. wait for Astro to talk about backup software :P
 Astrotoy7
03-08-2008, 6:01 AM
lolz @ Ray :p

Here's what I'd do:

-Like Ray said, run the malware proggies you got

-Failing that, try restoring your icon cache. Its a harmless procedure.. in xp, its easiest achieved by installing the great little 'powertoy' by MS called TweakUI (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx). Its only 147Kb so wont bust your bandwidth :)

>>Theres a menu item in about icons, the rebuild icon cache function is in there. Of course, there is a manual way to do exactly the same thing, involving command prompts and tracking down delicate system files...but Tweak UI is much easier, especially if you dont feel to confident in poking around system files and fiddling with command line stuff.

anwyay, let us know how ye go, Cap'n ;)

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
03-08-2008, 7:02 AM
This happened to me, shortl before my "HUGE PROBLEM" (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=186827).

Btw, you need to send me your desktop background! :xp:
 Titanius Anglesmith
03-08-2008, 3:17 PM
I did a scan with McAfee, and it says it detected two things - Adware-GameSpyArcade and Adware-Url.gen. I removed both of them, and nothing changed. I guess I'll try a reboot, but I've never actually done that before. How exactly would I go about doing it?

Like I said though, all the programs still work, but I just can't open them through shortcuts or the Start menu. So, it's not really a huge problem.
 Negative Sun
03-08-2008, 4:55 PM
Failing that, try restoring your icon cache. Its a harmless procedure.. in xp, its easiest achieved by installing the great little 'powertoy' by MS called TweakUI (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx)
QFE

TweakUI is awesome and probably the only Windows Powertoy worth using...Try that it should sort out your problems dude.
 Titanius Anglesmith
03-08-2008, 7:32 PM
I don't know why I didn't think to do this before, but I just did a system restore back to March 4, which was the most recent restore point before this happened. It looks like everything's back to normal.

Thanks for the help, guys. :)
 urluckyday
03-08-2008, 8:37 PM
Oh, and btw...about your virus scan...for whatever reason, McAfee picks Gamespy up as adware, but if you use it on a regular basis, I wouldn't recommend removing it or anything...McAfee gave me like 5 false positives when I used it, so I switched...
 Astrotoy7
03-09-2008, 4:51 AM
I don't know why I didn't think to do this before, but I just did a system restore back to March 4, which was the most recent restore point before this happened. It looks like everything's back to normal.

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

good to hear its fixed. wouldve been interesting to see how tweakUI went. Keep it in mind if you have a similar occurrence in future. System restore gobbles up a good slice of HD space, and generate backup and log files that drift aimlessly in your system. You dont want to be deploying it too much

might be a good idea to give your favourite disc/registry clean proggie a run after all that. if you dont have one ccleaner is great freeware one :) windows inbuilt disc cleaner isnt as comprehensive.

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
03-09-2008, 5:59 AM
3rd party apps to clean, fix, tweak, etc. Windows or your HDD are always better than Windows apps...
 Astrotoy7
03-09-2008, 8:47 AM
3rd party apps to clean, fix, tweak, etc. Windows or your HDD are always better than Windows apps...

lolz...that goes without saying negsun...of the MS versions were sufficient, there wouldnt be a need for the 3rd party proggie would there :p

I like ccleaner, quick, thorough..also tis free :D

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1