Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sins of a Solar Empire

Page: 1 of 1
 swphreak
02-13-2008, 5:33 PM
http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/)

Everyone needs to check this game out. It would make for an awesome Star Wars mod.
 RedHawke
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I was looking at this in Target yesterday... it looked quite interesting.
 stingerhs
02-14-2008, 12:33 AM
this is one of the best RTS games i've played since Medieval 2: Total War (World in Conflict not withstanding since i've only played the demo). i picked it up the other day as a direct download from Stardock, the games publisher, and this game is very deep once you get into it.

on one hand, you have to manage the battles and what not, but its really more about planning and overarching strategy than tactics. the 4x genre is very familiar to most Civilization and other turn-based strategy titles, but this game pulls it off very well in a completely real-time setting.

scale wise, this game can be absolutely massive, but its also relatively easy to manage since there's little micromanaging. once you build some structures and planetary improvements, you really don't have to keep an eye on them hardly at all, and the AI is usually smart enough to handle most of the battles itself while utilizing special abilities in a smart manner.

it has a fairly involved tech tree that you'll want to develop since it will really have a nice boost on either the economic or military side of your strategy. and of course, that has yet another emphasis on the actual management side as you'll often times have to choose to boost your economy or your military. its a fine balance most of the time, and you have to make it fit your situation.

my one major complaint with this game is that there isn't a campaign. the opening cinematic leads you to believe that the game will have some grand storyline, but in the end, there isn't one. instead, you're treated to a series of skirmish maps. but not to fret, however, as even the small skirmish maps can take a good deal of time to complete. throw in the well done multiplayer, and the game more than makes up for the lack of a campaign.

graphically, its not the most impressive game i've seen, but the graphics are pretty good regardless. the best graphical feature is the zoom function. you can zoom out to see then entire star cluster, then zoom in to see an entire system, then zoom in to see a planet, and then finally zoom in enough to make out the little details on the tiny fighters. and all that zooming is done seamlessly and instantly with no load times which allows you to do all kinds of things one after the other and on different scales without a single load screen.

this game is a whole lot of fun, and in my book, its a must have for strategy owners. modding wise, this game ships with a map editor, and the game files can easily be edited. full-on mod tools that will allow you to import new models, effects, and skins is expected to be released soon in an upcoming patch.

get it. like it. love it. its that simple. :)
 mur'phon
02-14-2008, 2:56 AM
I'm with stingerhs, it's amazing. A word of warning though, this game isn't for everyone, so try it before bying it.
 swphreak
02-14-2008, 8:35 AM
stinger, do you have all the "Effects" setting set to highest? There's a forum post by a dev saying that's where you make the game pretty.

Also, we'll have to get a MP game going. I spent 5 hours last night fighting 4 AI. I just finished wiping out the pirates in my star system and working on the Advent AI.
 stingerhs
02-14-2008, 9:51 AM
yeah, i have all my settings maxed (i do have a computer that can handle everything but Crysis at max settings). like i said, the graphics are nice, i just wouldn't call them spectacular. ;)

and if you want to set up a multiplayer match, let me know even though i have one going on right now. i'm still liking the fact that you can save your multiplayer matches so that you can finish the match later if someone has to leave. never been able to do that before, and its a really nice feature.

and if we are going to play each other, i got dibs on the Vasari. ;)
 swphreak
02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
<.<

I'm kinda liking the Vasari... that Galaxy Gun Kostura Cannon is pretty sweet. I need to see how the Novalith Cannon is. The Advent's superweapon sounds like it blows.

Join #lucasforums (see sig) and we can set a game up anytime. Same goes for anyone else wanting to join.
 stingerhs
02-21-2008, 4:27 PM
well, me and Phreak have tried to play a couple of games (and wiped the floor with me), and all i can say is that we need more victims players online. if you have this game, i'm on Xfire with the same username (stingerhs), so let me know if you want to play.

in the meantime, a number of reputable sources have reviewed the game, and just about everyone has given it very high marks. here's some links for some good readin'. ;)

Gamespot Review: 9.0/10 (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sinsofasolarempire/review.html)
IGN Review: 8.9/10 (http://pc.ign.com/articles/852/852735p1.html)
G4 X-Play Review: 4/5 (http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1718/Sins_Of_A_Solar_Empire.html)
 swphreak
02-21-2008, 5:51 PM
Well you know what stinger? I played with some other people, and got creamed. But yeah, don't mess with the collective Unity!

I'm either going to be TEC or Vasari next time. I never noticed how much more expensive Vasari frigates are.
 Serpentine Cougar
02-23-2008, 12:02 AM
This game sounds awesome; I need to get it sometime. I liked what the Gamespot Review said was bad about the game:
* Games can take a very long time to resolve
* You won't get a lot of sleep.
 Lantzen
02-23-2008, 7:52 AM
If you like Galactic Civilizations II, do you like this game then ? Of the video i have seen they look to be built up the same way. And im also a huge civilization fan, they have made many sleepless nights for me :lol:
 mur'phon
02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Think real time galciv where you cotroll the battles.
 Darth InSidious
02-25-2008, 8:07 AM
Just thought I'd remind everyone that discussing the map editor is technically against the rules here. :p

Seriously, it looks very interesting.
Page: 1 of 1