Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

More model problems...

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Xander
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
My latest small project is that sucessfully model my own rifle!
So far no sucess, the gun is invisible when is ingame and the game doesn't crash any ideas?

Also could some just post a small list on what order ot things in plz?
 Darkkender
02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
do you have a skin for your gun in game? If so is the transparency/Alpha channel turned all the way up by accident?
 Darth Essence
02-05-2008, 2:01 PM
MDLops has a txt tutorial un how to add models to the game ... and in what order should everything be done ... at least it should have that txt ....
 Darth Xander
02-05-2008, 2:16 PM
do you have a skin for your gun in game? If so is the transparency/Alpha channel turned all the way up by accident?
No I don't have a skin for it ingame, I was planning on doing that later.
 Darkkender
02-05-2008, 2:40 PM
Without a texture file you will frequently get invisible models if it doesn't crash your game because of the missing texture.
 Sithspecter
02-05-2008, 5:55 PM
Hmmm... when I've made models w/o texture, they always appear white. It sounds to me like maybe you didn't link all the pieces of your model to the aurora base, but I could be wrong. BTW, if your gun fires from the feet, this is probably the problem.
 Darkkender
02-05-2008, 6:10 PM
Hmmm... when I've made models w/o texture, they always appear white. It sounds to me like maybe you didn't link all the pieces of your model to the aurora base, but I could be wrong. BTW, if your gun fires from the feet, this is probably the problem.

It depends on your computer and your graphics settings for the game. I have seen some peoples models provide a transparent effect becasue of a missing skin and others provide the white texture effect. This same effect happens if you are using an irregular sized tga skin rather than a square image example 754X432 as compared to 512x512. One of the head skins in the TSL Holowan Plugin did this for some people on Dxun and in the korriban caves for my machine and setup the game would run fine but on certain machines it would crash.
 Darth Xander
02-06-2008, 2:33 AM
Without a texture file you will frequently get invisible models if it doesn't crash your game because of the missing texture.
Thats probably it, I'll have a shot at uvmaping it. When should I uvmap it? in order of making the mdl I mean.
 Marius Fett
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
If you made the gun using Editable Poly do it before the conversion to Editable Mesh...

If it's already Editable Mesh do it after you reset your Xforms.
 Darkkender
02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure on that one as I've only really worked with models that somebody has already made for me and provided a UV map with.
 Darth Xander
02-06-2008, 1:15 PM
I'm not sure why but every time I improt my gun back into 3dsmax it is huge, however I exported it the right size. Maybe that is what is wrong, the gun is so big that u don't see it because it ahsthe pc inside it and maybe even the whoel area as if it were a skybox. Its a crazy idea I know but I don't have much else.

Also could somebody have a shot at uvmapping it plz?
I have asked DDD but he isn't feeling too good at the moment.
Here is the link (http://files.filefront.com/My+unfinished+gun+model/;9583546;/fileinfo.html).
For uvmapping or finding out what the problem is.
 Inyri
02-06-2008, 2:15 PM
Did you ever reset your transforms? Typically if you don't you wind up with a very large (or very small) model.
Page: 1 of 1