Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Another scripting question from Seamhainn

Page: 1 of 1
 Seamhainn
02-05-2008, 9:21 AM
Hello!

Is it possibile that, if the pc has a certain item in his/her inventory, a dialogue one-liner appearce from time to time - then seemingly out of nowhere?

As you might expect this is in regards of the holocron I am working on and which the pc can acquire in the lost Shadowlands, and my idea is, after the pc gets the cursed thing three or four Sith Lords give some more or less good (or in this case bad) advice(s). These advice should not come in a row but after a good while and apart from each other.

Also, as we don't have VOs for it: is it then possible to make a static, screeching or somesuch sound which is in-game instead, when those lines are spoken?

Thanks and take care
 Darth Essence
02-05-2008, 2:06 PM
well ... the dialogue needs to be triggered ... it can be done by placed triggers or a script ... if it is fired by a script then the script needs somekind of trigger ... which can be a placed trigger or a dialogue or OnDeath and such events .... I think that you may trigger the dialogues only by triggers in some areas you might want the dialogues start ... or they might be fired with pre-determined intervals .. like using a timer in script ... i kinda havent found a random-call-script option in KotOR .. thats my opinion .. and yeah .. I'm tired ... so all this text might be a bit .. whats the word .. unintelligable ? ...

EDIT: I might have forgotten/skipped/missed something ....
 stoffe
02-06-2008, 6:51 AM
Is it possibile that, if the pc has a certain item in his/her inventory, a dialogue one-liner appearce from time to time - then seemingly out of nowhere?

It this supposed to happen completely at random, or at certain points during a plot, or at certain locations in the game world?
 Seamhainn
02-06-2008, 6:58 AM
It this supposed to happen completely at random, or at certain points during a plot, or at certain locations in the game world?

It can be as random as possible, but there should be at least an hour of gameplay or so between each appearance.

Thanks
 Robespierre
02-06-2008, 7:09 AM
Well you can set a delay between events.

fDelayInSeconds=2.0;
DelayCommand(fDelayInSeconds,some_action);

What about the code for party members talking to each other, that seems random. Couldn't you have a look at the .dlg files and decompile the scripts that cause the NPCs to randomly talk to each other? I would, but I'm a little pre-occupied at the moment.
Page: 1 of 1