Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Desktop Widgets

Page: 1 of 1
 Serpentine Cougar
01-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I've been looking into desktop widgets, those little programs that run right on your desktop, but I have some questions. They all seem somewhat useless to me (like a clock for example, when you already have one down on the taskbar...); why do they seem kinda popular?

What widgets do you use? Convince me that there are some widgets out there that I should be using.
 Ray Jones
01-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Most of them are utterly useless, and steal resources. I mean, not like just the resources they would need, but somehow always so much that it causes noticeable lags of the system. Without all those bells and whistles computers would be twice as fast.
 tk102
01-17-2008, 11:31 AM
My desktop has far too many items on it to accommodate widgets. Plus even if I did tidy my desktop up, I typically have far too many windows open to ever make use of anything there.

Instead I write my own System Tray Applications. I have a "phone-list extension checker" that reads my company's phone list, a "virtual thermometer" that displays the current value from a thermometer on the roof, and a "Lucasforums Monitor" to keep an eye on the health of the forums and certain people.
 El Sitherino
01-17-2008, 1:43 PM
Meh, I have a little photo slideshow thing that I run in the corner of my screen sometimes. It's a nice little addition that has no real impact on the function of my system and it keeps me distracted enough to focus enough on what I'm doing.
 Astrotoy7
01-18-2008, 9:02 AM
vista has sidebar 'gadgets' which are the same thing. The ones I used were for remote desktop connections, performance monitors(CPU/RAM/Network) and ebay monitoring. I dont use them much now, just occasionallty the RDC

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
01-19-2008, 7:07 PM
I use performance monitors to keep check on my CPU temp as it's quite old and overclocked so it can run hot sometimes...

I've also got a nifty taskbar at the top of my screen with my most used proggies and folders in it just because it looks sexier than windows desktop icons.
 Serpentine Cougar
01-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Hmm, so I guess widgets are as useless as I thought. Thanks for the input, guys!

Do any of you use any other desktop enhancements (like Window Blinds, for example)?
 Sabretooth
01-22-2008, 2:31 AM
Do any of you use any other desktop enhancements (like Window Blinds, for example)?
I use the classic modified uxtheme.dll file to install 3rd party Visual Styles directly. Don't like programs just to change the way my system looks. ;)

Give me the modded uxtheme.dll and Luna Element 5.1 and I'm teh happeh.
 Astrotoy7
01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
I use the classic modified uxtheme.dll file to install 3rd party Visual Styles directly. Don't like programs just to change the way my system looks. ;)

Give me the modded uxtheme.dll and Luna Element 5.1 and I'm the happeh.

yeah, the official MS zune theme is also nice for those wanting a change, but not wanting to fiddle with 3rd party stuff. Its a nice dark theme, with an orange start button, once you get rid of the lame wallie it comes with, it looks purrty - I always use it on the xp side of my dualboot - im so sick of the blue luna theme....ugh!

http://zuneinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/Zune-Theme1.jpg)

mtfbwya
 Jae Onasi
01-22-2008, 3:55 PM
I use a couple of widgits for D and D to calculate xp and ECL. Nothing fancy but it's fun to have little things around when you need them.
 Negative Sun
01-22-2008, 6:45 PM
WindowBlinds isn't free, so it's poo...

For WinXP only:

Vista CG (http://www.crystalxp.net/galerie/en.id.505-vista-cg-snakeuk-visual-styles.htm), what I'm using right now, very light, looks good and stable as a mountain goat :)

Bricopacks (http://www.crystalxp.net/bricopack/en.htm), these are great too ;)
Page: 1 of 1