Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Alek, Revanchist, and Wookiepedia

Page: 1 of 1
 True_Avery
12-25-2007, 10:31 PM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Malak)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alek)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revanchist)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan)

So, I'm trying to do timeline and fanfic research for my fic some time ago, and I see the Revan and Malak pages torn up quite a bit with what I assumed was Fanon.

I waited awhile.

Now I check tonight, and it is all still there plus more.

May I ask what in the world is going on? What in the hell is this Revanchist bull, why is it so poorly written, and why has nothing been said about it?

All I want is to do timelines peacefully, and I run into words and factions that look to be made up by a five year old. So please, someone tell me... is any of this "canon" at all, or just some pricks editing all the articles? Because this has got to be some of the poorest written lore I've ever seen, even if it is from a comic book.
 Igos
12-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Wookipedia is correct.

It is stated in The new Essential guide to the Force (Jedi VS Sith) that Malak and Revan are Alek and the Revanchist, respectively.
 Lordjedi
12-25-2007, 11:07 PM
wow never knew that before
 Tommycat
12-25-2007, 11:13 PM
yep new book, Spoiler warnings on the pages, discussion side of it explained it all.
 Rev7
12-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Very interesting... I know that the information stating that Revan is "The Revanchist" , and that Malak is "Alek" is new. Just last week I was browsing through numerous articles on Wookiepedia and this 'new' information was not there. But you know, Wookiepedia is a wiki...

I personally don't have this new, The new Essential guide to the Force (Jedi VS Sith) , book, so I wouldn't know what it says on the subject. Either way I find this informaiton very interesting...it also seems to add up to be true.
 Clone L68362
12-26-2007, 1:15 AM
Wait, is Malak also that Alek Squinquanimisuhuwgesusueiwatever guy or what? If that was his name when he was a Jedi, why is there a separate page for each of them?

Revanchist isn't as bad as Squinblahblahblah but it still sounds pretty bad...and what the hell is it? Is it Revan, is it just a silly sounding title?

What's going on?!
 Tommycat
12-26-2007, 1:30 AM
Revanchist is from the French word for revenge.
 adamqd
12-26-2007, 5:23 AM
there's little more than "they are them" in the The Essential guide to the Force book, it was pointless dropping the spoiler because they gave no other information.
I'm disappointed Alek is Malak, (the revanchist went without saying really) because there is a lot of discrepancies in his character; Height, tattoos, his apprenticeship to Revan, his name... I mean come on, "Alek, you shall be now known as Malak"!?

One thing to remember with Star Wars lately is, take everything at face value, When I first got the comics I was like "Alek... he must be a play on Malak's character ha ha... Oh wait he is Malak.... thats one Deep storyline?!
 Ztalker
12-26-2007, 7:06 AM
It's an ret-con of some sort. The games explicitly stated Revan and Malak were their real names. Now the 'nickname' of Revan is explained.

He's the only one who want to do something about the war (i.e. take revanche, revenge, you name it.) thus the Media calls his little group the 'Revanchists' or, 'those who want to take revenge.' And their leader is called 'Revanchist' or 'Revan' for short. Seems logical....I mean, Obi-Wan was called 'The Negotiator' in the clone wars. Why couldn't Revan obtain a medi-inflicted nickname or callsign?

And for Alek/Malak...another canon source claims he lost his Jaw (Malak=Latin for Jaw) in a practice (?) fight with his Master, Revan. So the Media might give him the nickname of Malak. Maybe a rising media pun because of his jaw problems?

Anyways, it all makes perfect sense to me now. :D

PS: But what about this: Alek WANTS Zayne Carrick (the lead char. of the Kotor-comic book series) on his side, the Revanchists. What does this mean for Zayne? He already has ties with Malak and the Revanchists (who later become the Sith) at this point in the series...I can't wait!
 Quanon
12-26-2007, 7:18 AM
PS: But what about this: Alek WANTS Zayne Carrick (the lead char. of the Kotor-comic book series) on his side, the Revanchists. What does this mean for Zayne? He already has ties with Malak and the Revanchists (who later become the Sith) at this point in the series...I can't wait!

Yeah ! There are even crazy theories , that Zayne might be the Exile .

Though that may be correct , Zayne is already a sort of Exile , since all the other Jedi are hunting him :lol:

Still I like these new Kotor Comics , so far I haven't been dissapointed .
And there are little winks here and there to the games and such .
 Rogue Nine
12-26-2007, 7:37 AM
Avery, you know the people at LucasArts did this just to piss you off, rite? :xp:
 Jason Skywalker
12-26-2007, 7:57 AM
Lol, too bad the Exile is a female.

And i already know who did the jaw injury on him.

Jarael finds out he's gone to the Dark Side and then cuts his jaw off.
 adamqd
12-26-2007, 8:08 AM
^^^
where did you get that from?

I love the Comics, I order them from the US the second they come on sale, I just dislike the way they have gone about the Alek/Malak situation (So far)
Alek is a really good character and so is Malak, I'll just wait to see how they merge the two...
#24 should be out today, cant wait.

@Quanon: I've also enjoyed the Game character and locale cameo's.
 Miltiades
12-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Comics are great, but I agree, the Alek/Malak thing is bad. I'm still doubting if that is what JJM wanted...
 Jason Skywalker
12-26-2007, 1:54 PM
It's predictable adamqd.
 adamqd
12-26-2007, 3:26 PM
I wasn't calling you out, I was just wondering, because current continuity holds Revan responsible, I thought you may of found a new source :)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Malak)

[WOOKIEEPEDIA]Darth Malak's entire jaw was removed by a lightsaber strike from Revan himself.[2]
 Rev7
12-26-2007, 3:45 PM
Yes, Revan WAS the one who cut Malak's jaw off. Oddly, I don't think that it was in Revan's nature to cut off someones jaw, BUT I always keep telling myself that he is a Sith Lord, and that that is what Sith Lords do 'injure' people, whether it is through death or through suffering... IMO...
 Ztalker
12-27-2007, 7:28 AM
On another (interesting) note....the Kotor games gave is several events that haven't taken place in the comics yet...

For example, I recall Ghadon Tekk saying something about these war against the Mandalorians in Kotor 1 dialogue: "If the Sith would be foolish enough to come down here, all gangs would rise up against them." :)

But there is more....there is at least 1 Kotor partymember that we haven't seen yet. Revan met her personally. On Taris. I'm talking about Juhani!
She claims Revan saved her life, and freed Taris of (some sort) of enemy. Revan was her inspiration. Also, where is Candarous?

I think 'almighty' Revan will make his appearance in a few comics. Because we KNOW Cassus Fett went on to kill an Admiral in space battle, and because we know Revan went to 'free' Taris with his faction. Also, why is there no preview of the last KOTOR-comic available? :D

It makes replaying Kotor or Kotor 2 worthwile. I really enjoy the game references!
 Jason Skywalker
12-27-2007, 8:52 AM
I don't know, the back of a Hasbro figurine case doesn't seem as credible as my theory but that's just me.
 adamqd
12-27-2007, 9:07 AM
I don't doubt your prophetic ability's Jason :), but if something has the Lucas logo on it, we'll have to take there word for it.
 Rev7
12-27-2007, 9:50 AM
I don't know, the back of a Hasbro figurine case doesn't seem as credible as my theory but that's just me.
What theory? :p There is proof that disproves your theory. :)
 Jason Skywalker
12-27-2007, 10:21 AM
*sighs and covers face with hand palm*

Whatever. Let's just wait and see.
 SilentScope001
12-27-2007, 10:25 AM

It does, it does! The back of a Hasbro figure is canon! Anything made by Star Wars is canon! Even the Ewok Adventures! They are canon! Did you know that there are 4 Force Gods on Endor, all with all-mighty powers?[/scarsam]
 Quanon
12-27-2007, 12:09 PM
It does, it does! The back of a Hasbro figure is canon! Anything made by Star Wars is canon! Even the Ewok Adventures! They are canon! Did you know that there are 4 Force Gods on Endor, all with all-mighty powers?[/scarsam]

OMG !

Where can I find these , why isn't there game about that !
 adamqd
12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Lowering the tone again scope :rolleyes: :D
There's a lot of garbage...Real Garbage in the continuity, and there's nothing we can do about it. But what's a Force God got to do with Malak's Jaw injury? It's hardly an insane Idea to have Revan cut Malak's jaw off. It's so funny, People act Like "Well I wasn't consulted when this was made canon?!", Well your not gonna be! Dude's :)
 SilentScope001
12-27-2007, 1:31 PM
But what's a Force God got to do with Malak's Jaw injury?

I was referring to the fact that we learnt of Malak's jaw injury through the back of a toy for kids. If we learnt of how Malak got his jaw injury through the actual comics rather than being forced to buy that toy, I wouldn't have my snide comment. :)

I'm okay with how Malak got his injury, just not how it was revealed, and exactly how canon works.
The Force Gods of The Ewoks:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Snow_King)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Flower_Queen)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leaf_Queen)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_King)

Why there are no games:
LA's fans would likely lynch them.
 adamqd
12-27-2007, 2:07 PM
^^^
I've got the the Ewok adventures on DVD...(Walks off in embarrassment) :D
 True_Avery
12-28-2007, 5:49 AM
The names are silly, and there is a lot wrong with the storyline itself.

Revan's followers were Revanchists? Ok... the Jedi that followed Revan to war were -NOT-, I repeat, -NOT- Revan's followers. Revan revolted against the masters and asked the others to do the same in order to follow the -Republic-. Revan and Malak were made unofficial "leaders" of this movement, but the movement was very short as the Jedi melded into the Republic military.

This whole Revanchist thing sounds so incredibly fanboy. They were not called that anytime in both the first and second Kotor game. The Jedi were just said to have followed Revan to war. Making them "followers", or Revanchists, makes them sound like a religion or some difference sect of the Jedi Order. They were Jedi, and they went to the war as Jedi, under the name of Jedi, under the Jedi code.

Alek is an ok name I guess, but the last name is too long and a waste of space to ever be used.

I was tempted to read the comics, but now I'm not even going to touch the things. What a spectacular butchery of fact, logic, and canon that didn't need to be changed.
 Balderdash
12-28-2007, 6:41 AM
They were Jedi, and they went to the war as Jedi, under the name of Jedi, under the Jedi code.That's right, and that's exactly what happens in the comics. As far as we know at this point "revanchists" is just the name that the media chooses to give to them at the start of the war.

And they were always referred to as followers, in the games. They followed Revan to war, and in time they came to follow his divergent philosophies as well.

Forgive me, but you sound like you're just upset because your fan fictions don't fit perfectly into the continuity anymore. Don't bash the comics unless you've read them; they're actually moderately well written.

I do tend to agree about the absurdity of Alek's surname though...
 adamqd
12-28-2007, 7:21 AM
^^^
Pointed at for Truth.
 True_Avery
12-28-2007, 7:57 AM
Forgive me, but you sound like you're just upset because your fan fictions don't fit perfectly into the continuity anymore. Don't bash the comics unless you've read them; they're actually moderately well written.
Not about my fanfiction at all. My fiction fits nowhere in any of the canon. I simply think this entire story bit is a stain on the continuation for being labeled canon at all.

Names are stupid, the concept is terrible, and reading the summarys makes me wish I could delete every word of it from the wiki.

If you like it, power to you. I'll just go ahead and believe it never existed.

And they were always referred to as followers, in the games. They followed Revan to war, and in time they came to follow his divergent philosophies as well.
Followers, yes. But not to the point of naming themselves a different group. They were Jedi, and went as Jedi.

As far as we know at this point "revanchists" is just the name that the media chooses to give to them at the start of the war.
I would hope so, because the title makes me want to rip my hair out.
 Quanon
12-28-2007, 8:53 AM
If you like it, power to you. I'll just go ahead and believe it never existed.

True and your absolutly right , don't let these EU things make "crap" out of SW.
I ignore most of the post Endor stuff , cause I feel its absolute jibberish , cloning "tha palpy" , sheeeshh .

Though I wouldn't bash the Comics totally , I think if you count the pages that already gave some information about Malak and Revan , I think , its a measelly 6 pages , perhaps 7 ...

Besides if you only go on the Wiki stuff , I would feel almost the same like you , but I've read to number 23 of the comics series and I don't see what the problem really is .

Though that could all change ofcourse within a few issues , :lol: , so far I think they did a nice job .
Page: 1 of 1