Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Taris Ruins Mod Beta Release

Page: 1 of 3
 e-varmint
12-21-2007, 7:33 PM
01/13/08: Version 7 has been released.

This mod lets you return to Taris after Malak's attack. Thanks to Danyael27, DarthDingDong, and Miltiades for convincing me to do this! The beta release contains 3 of 5 modules, and is functional enough to make it worth downloading. I will assemble a full list of credits which mentions everyone who has contributed ideas for the mod and include it with the Full Release.

Screenshot: http://www.e-varmint.net/m70va.html)

:dsaber:
Download (Approximately 17.6 mb):
Sometimes the download terminated early when I tested it using IE7. I have not had problems using Firefox. I have not tried other browsers.
http://www.e-varmint.net/TRM-V7.zip)

Unzip the file(s) and place the contents of Override in the game's Override folder, and the contents of Modules in the game's Modules folder. Should be compatible with most other mods. Is not currently compatible with mods that change the Ebon Hawk (other than retexture mods). I'll have this issue fixed in the near future.

General notes/minor spoilers are here:
http://www.e-varmint.net/Spoilers.html)

The Janice-fight spoiler is here:
http://www.e-varmint.net/bigspoilers.html)

Current Patch/Update description:
This adds module tar_m70ve, adds a character/dialog to m70vc (sewers), and upgrades the optional Janice fight from "so-so" to "BrawlLicious". If you have played this mod before, make sure you re-start from a saved game where you have not been to the Taris Ruins yet. Otherwise, some of the changes will not take effect. The new module is accessed from the sewer module, and is designed for players with a higher-level character than m70va and m70vc. Since this is the Beta, I have left the door to m70ve unlocked, so you will not have to play Korriban to get the passcard. If you talk to the Ithorian in m70vc, you will get some background on the new area.

If you opt for the Janice fight, you should check this thread before continuing the main game with your character:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2410125#post2410125)

When you go to the Ebon Hawk, you may have a Warp Droid next to the workbench that will take you to the Taris Ruins. This does not work for everyone, and I should have it fixed soon.

Or, you can:
Activate the cheat console by pressing the ` key (located to the left of
the 1 key), then type

warp tar_m70va

To enable use of the cheat console, find the swkotor.ini file in your
SWKotOR directory, then add the line
EnableCheats=1 under the [Game Options] heading.

I would like to collect feedback on these levels, as well as ideas for future expansion. I am particularly interested in any bugs or compatibility issues you may encounter.
____
 Darth Payne
12-21-2007, 7:53 PM
Looking very good so far.

PS: Wouldn't it look a little better is the civilians looked saddened or depressed when you talked to them. I know it's possible to do this because bastila looks like that at times when you talk to her.

Off topic text removed, and post combined due to off topic post pruning, sorry but how to use the cheat console is not what this thread is about. -RH
 e-varmint
12-21-2007, 9:15 PM
Wouldn't it look a little better is the civilians looked saddened or depressed when you talked to them. I know it's possible to do this because bastila looks like that at times when you talk to her.

I inserted the "sad" animation in some of the dialogs. It may not be working, so I'll go tinker with it some more. I'm going to add some more creatures to Patch 2, and I'll add the updated dialogs also.
 Shotgunner
12-22-2007, 1:03 AM
good god man! ANOTHER reason for me to go back and play KoToR 1! I can't download and try out the mod as of this typing, but I will do so MUCH later ( after I get some sleep LOL - it's 1:00am where I am at ) and I will give you my feedback.
 e-varmint
12-22-2007, 7:50 AM
.....and I will give you my feedback.

Great! Here's a question for you (and anyone else who wants to respond):

Should I confiscate Janice's lightsaber and revert her back to a non-force-adept?
 Darth Payne
12-22-2007, 8:00 AM
You could let her keep it, but make her a non-force adept.

If the color is right she could have found it on her way to the undercity.

Or, she found it during the Mandalorian wars, when the jedi came to taris, and decided to keep it.

Or it belonged to a family member that was one of the jedi that came to taris during the mandalorian war.
 Wedge Suron
12-22-2007, 9:16 AM
Nice.

EDIT: Where does the mod file in the patch go?

2ND Edit: Where do you land the Ebon Hawk?
 Darth Payne
12-22-2007, 9:27 AM
the ruins of daviks estate?

taris is in ruins, yes. does not mean that some buildings are not relatively intact.

theres also the two landing pads next to the sith base
 Wedge Suron
12-22-2007, 9:29 AM
The mod file? I can't get it to work right.
 Miltiades
12-22-2007, 9:32 AM
Great. I'll give it a try sometime this weekend. :)
 Darth Payne
12-22-2007, 9:38 AM
ummm, doesn't the mod files go into the modules folder?
 Wedge Suron
12-22-2007, 9:38 AM
Also. How do you get there?

Edit: I don't know but the file is Just Mod.
 e-varmint
12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Nice.

EDIT: Where does the mod file in the patch go?

2ND Edit: Where do you land the Ebon Hawk?

The .mod file goes in the modules folder.
Example: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\modules

There is currently no landing site for the Ebon Hawk. If I make one, I will have to retexture the one from Tatooine or something. Since the upper city has been shot-to-$$$$ by Malak, I can't use any of the existing Taris modules.

Also. How do you get there?

Start by typing `warp tar_m70va in the cheat console. See the code: I just added to the first post for more detail.

Edit: Just uploaded Patch 2.

__
 Darth Payne
12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Ummm, when i tried dl'ing the 2 patch i got an mpeg.
 Darth Payne
12-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks, i got the patch.

Hmmm, had another thought.

In the undercity there was an area next to the elevator where you encountere five people behind a gate.

As soon as you go throught the gate the first three change into rackgouls, the other two you can cure of the rackgoul disease.

Couldn't you use the same area to hold prisoners?
 e-varmint
12-22-2007, 11:08 AM
........Couldn't you use the same area to hold prisoners?

Right now, it is housing Zax. I'm also planning to put a workbench and a computer console in there. You have just given me an idea, though: I could always spawn a prisoner in there and let Zax interrogate him/her/it.
 Darth Payne
12-22-2007, 11:26 AM
That might work.

The prisoner could be tied down to a slab of rock, like bastila was while malak was torturing/turning her.

Either that or torture cage.
 Shotgunner
12-23-2007, 12:15 AM
I think the slab of rock idea would make more sense, because whatever power sources that functioned in the Undercity would pretty much on their last legs. Even if the Undercity was spared from Malak's wrath, I'm sure such a heavy bombardment would shake the planet enough to disrupt any sort of power generation equipment, no matter how deeply buried it is.

Just another idea.

I was unable to have the time to download and try this mod today, sorry - I have it downloaded, but I havent tried it yet. I'll try it as soon as I can find my KOTOR 1 play disc in my PC game collection.
 e-varmint
12-23-2007, 2:12 AM
...........I'm sure such a heavy bombardment would shake the planet enough to disrupt any sort of power generation equipment, no matter how deeply buried it is.
..........I was unable to have the time to download and try this mod today, sorry - I have it downloaded, but I havent tried it yet. I'll try it as soon as I can find my KOTOR 1 play disc in my PC game collection.

Good point. In Patch5, I'll add something to one of the dialogs about the power situation.

I just added part of level 2, and completed some major revisions to level 1. Edit: Removed outdated link

I'm still trying to work a prisoner into the plot.

Edit(General Note): I'm starting to confuse everyone, myself included, with all these patches. I'll hold off on any more until Level 2 is complete.

___
 Wedge Suron
12-23-2007, 5:11 AM
I am having trouble. But I think it was happening anyway. Something to do with the Sewers. It crashes when I try to go in. I'd post it somewhere but I don't know what the trouble is exactly.

Edit: Very BIG bug. When you exit the other side of the Sewers to the one you can enter. It sends you to taris. Without being able to get in the village.
 e-varmint
12-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I am having trouble. But I think it was happening anyway. Something to do with the Sewers. It crashes when I try to go in. I'd post it somewhere but I don't know what the trouble is exactly.

Edit: Very BIG bug. When you exit the other side of the Sewers to the one you can enter. It sends you to taris. Without being able to get in the village.

If you are materializing outside the village gate, you have the old version of tar_m70va.mod that I originally posted in the Holowan Labs. The link below will get you the current version. When you start m70va, or load my pre-saved game, you should be inside the compound with a duros in front of you and a hostile Malak Informant to your right. Let me know if you still have bugs.

Edit: Removed outdated link.

Edit: Also check to make sure that no .mod files ended up in your Override folder. I just copied one into mine by mistake, and it caused all kinds of trouble when I started the module!
__
 Darth Payne
12-23-2007, 11:42 AM
I just thought of something of an oddity in the game.

They say that Taris covers the entire surface of the planet in on big city.

They also say that they put their crimminals in the undercity.

Yet for a city that size there are at most two dozen inhabitants in the undercity.

That made me think that there must be more than one undercity.

Is that a possibility?
 e-varmint
12-23-2007, 1:12 PM
......there must be more than one undercity.

Is that a possibility?

There are numerous other undercity compounds. We just can't get to any of them (yet). Trask, if he's alive, is probably in one of them.
 Darth Payne
12-23-2007, 1:18 PM
oh, ok.
 Wedge Suron
12-23-2007, 2:04 PM
If you are materializing outside the village gate, you have the old version of tar_m70va.mod that I originally posted in the Holowan Labs. The link below will get you the current version. When you start m70va, or load my pre-saved game, you should be inside the compound with a duros in front of you and a hostile Malak Informant to your right. Let me know if you still have bugs.

http://www.e-varmint.net/TarisRuins.zip)

Edit: Also check to make sure that no .mod files ended up in your Override folder. I just copied one into mine by mistake, and it caused all kinds of trouble when I started the module!
__

Could you put them in different folders..Also it wasn't right outside. It was at that entrance. Also, I've reinstalled and the sewer trouble has ended.

I meant the original Taris.
 e-varmint
12-23-2007, 6:17 PM
Could you put them in different folders..Also it wasn't right outside. It was at that entrance. Also, I've reinstalled and the sewer trouble has ended.

I meant the original Taris.

I see what you are saying: The elevator only goes down to the sewers, and you can't get back up to the Lower City. For now, it is supposed to work that way, but I will have to fix it eventually. Here's what is holding things up:

I can't use either the Lower or Upper city modules, because they have been destroyed by Malak. If the elevator is ever going to go up, I will have to make a custom destination for it, such as a retextured Tatooine or Korriban landing area. If I make a landing area, I also have to make a trigger inside the Ebon Hawk. I can either use the Galaxy Map, or attach a dialog to the service ladder or a computer console.

Alternatively, I can install a small computer console outside the elevator that has a dialog. The choices will be:
Return to the Ebon Hawk, which will activate a warp script that bypasses the need for a landing site,
Take the Elevator to the Sewers, which will take you to m70vc,
Leave the Elevator Alone.

In any event, I have guess I have just decided that the module will be triggered from the Ebon Hawk, regardless of whether there is a landing area.

Your immediate dilemma is the fact that you are "stuck" in the mod. The only way you can currently extricate yourself is to use the cheat console to return to the main game.

The far door in the m70vc level will be linked to Level 3 when I issue the next patch.
 Darth InSidious
12-23-2007, 6:37 PM
I see what you are saying: The elevator only goes down to the sewers, and you can't get back up to the Lower City. For now, it is supposed to work that way, but I will have to fix it eventually. Here's what is holding things up:

I can't use either the Lower or Upper city modules, because they have been destroyed by Malak. If the elevator is ever going to go up, I will have to make a custom destination for it, such as a retextured Tatooine or Korriban landing area. If I make a landing area, I also have to make a trigger inside the Ebon Hawk. I can either use the Galaxy Map, or attach a dialog to the service ladder or a computer console.

Alternatively, I can install a small computer console outside the elevator that has a dialog. The choices will be:
Return to the Ebon Hawk, which will activate a warp script that bypasses the need for a landing site,

In any event, I have guess I have just decided that the module will be triggered from the Ebon Hawk, regardless of whether there is a landing area.

Your immediate dilemma is the fact that you are "stuck" in the mod. The only way you can currently extricate yourself is to use the cheat console to return to the main game.

The far door in the m70vc level will be linked to Level 3 when I issue the next patch.
I'd recommend, if you go with a landing pad, using the Manaan one for a reskin...It might just suit your needs well. :)

I tried your first beta of this. Not bad, but it needs some fleshing out, I think...I'm looking forward to trying the latest version. :)
 Darth Payne
12-23-2007, 6:39 PM
The Exar Kun Tomb Mod has something similar.

When you go to Suvam's the first time, nothing is different until you return to the door that takes you back to the Ebon Hawk.

When that door opens you get a question of 'do you want to take the shuttle to Yavin 4?' or some such.

That means that doing something similar in this is very possible.

Hmm, wasn't there a ladder in the sewers that was blocked in some way?

Maybe the bombardment cleard the passage?

Oooh, had another thought.

Mission lived there for close to a decade right? What if she had friends there, outside the Hidden Beks, that was left behind when she left Taris.
 e-varmint
12-23-2007, 7:49 PM
I'd recommend, if you go with a landing pad, using the Manaan one for a reskin...

Hmm, wasn't there a ladder in the sewers that was blocked in some way?

Maybe the bombardment cleard the passage?

Oooh, had another thought.

Mission lived there for close to a decade right? What if she had friends there, outside the Hidden Beks, that was left behind when she left Taris.

Thanks, guys!

Hey, I have put together an overview document. It will help me keep track of things, and give people a better idea of where this mod is going.
http://www.e-varmint.net/ThePlan.html)
 Wedge Suron
12-24-2007, 4:26 AM
A couple of problems. This was before the patch when I encountered these.

1 When I choose to attack you know who. (Spoiler name.) The Trandoshans don't die.
2 The droid doesn't do anything when I select it.
 Wedge Suron
12-24-2007, 4:42 AM

No there's two entrances to the sewers in the original Taris. Your mod only allows one. However that's just to go inside. When you come out the other exit it's the original Taris. You come out there.
 Marius Fett
12-24-2007, 5:08 AM
Ummm, when i tried dl'ing the 2 patch i got an mpeg.

Don't worry about it, all my .mod files show up as mpegs but still work fine :)
 e-varmint
12-24-2007, 8:26 AM
A couple of problems. This was before the patch when I encountered these.

1 When I choose to attack you know who. (Spoiler name.) The Trandoshans don't die.
2 The droid doesn't do anything when I select it.
No there's two entrances to the sewers in the original Taris. Your mod only allows one. However that's just to go inside. When you come out the other exit it's the original Taris. You come out there.

1). That will change later in the plot. For now, I need you-know-who to survive. I also have sort of a twisted sense of humor...
2). Good Point. I'll add this to my list.

In the sewer level that is accessed from inside the compound, I have now disabled the door at the other end. I have also added another exit mechanism in the form of a script that fires when you retrieve an artifact.

If you have enough Security skill, it may be possible to open the sewer door that is outside the compound. If you can, it will take you back to the main game. I'll fix this also.

Edit: I fixed the Transdosian Guard issue and included it in Patch 6. I think I finally got the door issue fixed as well.
 Lordjedi
12-29-2007, 5:48 PM
Great this mod looks fun I'll give it a try
 e-varmint
12-29-2007, 6:02 PM
Great this mod looks fun I'll give it a try

Thanks! Let me know if you find any bugs.

One thing I have discovered about the Warp Droid that everyone should know:

The script that I modified for this is found in the Ebon Hawk .rim. It was, apparently, indended by the game designers as a by-pass for the Galaxy Map. If you use it to go to other planets, it will not fire the cutscenes or the scripts that make certain things happen in the main game. For instance, Calo Nord will not come after you if you use the Warp Droid to go to Tatooine/Kashyyk. On the bright side, it also bypasses the fighter attacks.

So, use the Warp Droid for the mod and the Galaxy Map for the main plot.

Edit: How many of you would be interested in the addition of a "deep discount" merchant to the Warp Droid? I could load it up with items that sell for 50% of their normal price. No plot items, though.

___
 Taak Farst
12-29-2007, 6:39 PM
i downloaded this but the droid didnt spawn in the hawk, could this be coz my savegame was on the hawk. do u need a save before you get the ebon hawk
 e-varmint
12-29-2007, 7:01 PM
i downloaded this but the droid didnt spawn in the hawk, could this be coz my savegame was on the hawk. do u need a save before you get the ebon hawk

You will have to start from a game where you are outside the Ebon Hawk.

As an experiment, I just verified this by starting a new game and warping to ebo_m12aa. The droid spawned next to the workbench, so it should also work if you go to the Ebon Hawk from any other saved game.

Let me know if you have any more issues, and thanks for your feedback!
 LoganZezima
01-05-2008, 10:51 AM
You will have to start from a game where you are outside the Ebon Hawk.

As an experiment, I just verified this by starting a new game and warping to ebo_m12aa. The droid spawned next to the workbench, so it should also work if you go to the Ebon Hawk from any other saved game.

Let me know if you have any more issues, and thanks for your feedback!

I was in Tatooine, then got on the Hawk, and it didn't spawn...
 e-varmint
01-05-2008, 1:11 PM
I was in Tatooine, then got on the Hawk, and it didn't spawn...

I'll see if I can figure out why it did not spawn.

Edit: In the saved game you started from, have you been to the Leviathan yet? The game changes some things in the Ebon Hawk after the Leviathan, but I haven't figured it all out yet.

Also, check your game folders to make sure that none of the .mod files are in the Override folder. They should all be in the Modules folder.
 rearviewmirror
01-07-2008, 9:50 PM
First of all, excellent looking mod. Really good stuff, really impressive. Obviously, I canNOT wait to use it, like ASAP. Problem is, I'm not exactly computer saavy when it comes to technical things. Which link do I click to download all that I need, the best I can get? I don't care about size. I think I clicked one and tried putting it in override folder or something like the other mods I've ben downloading, but to no avail. When I got it downloaded, I was so happy I wanted to take tha moment and have sex with it. I feel so depressed. [cries: OH GOD WHY!] If anyone could just say click the ___# link, that says , "__" I'd be fovever in you debt, and love that moment so much I want to take it to a hotel and cheat on the other moment.

(sorry if light innuendo is not appreciated. If you don't like it PM me and I'll change the "S" word to "made love". That's not bad, it's beautiful. :)
 Shotgunner
01-08-2008, 1:11 PM
Ooooooooooooook - someone who needs to get some orse than I do ROFL. Just kidding with ya rearviewmirror.

Right click on this and select "Save As" http://www.e-varmint.net/TRM-V6.zip)
 rearviewmirror
01-08-2008, 5:16 PM
haha yeah.. Thanks alot, Gotta go work the night shift, but I'll try to get it working tomorrow morn. It looks great.

edit: ok problem. I downloaded it but it says theres something wrong with it when i click it and go to winrar. I think it says unknown file or bad file. unexpected ending or something.

"rats"
 e-varmint
01-08-2008, 8:22 PM
haha yeah.. Thanks alot, Gotta go work the night shift, but I'll try to get it working tomorrow morn. It looks great.

edit: ok problem. I downloaded it but it says theres something wrong with it when i click it and go to winrar. I think it says unknown file or bad file. unexpected ending or something.

"rats"

Sometimes it takes two trys to download big files from my site provider, especially if you have IE7. When the feed from my provider gets slow, it tends to abruptly cut off the download, resulting in a useless .zip file. If the file you ended up with is significantly less than 10mb, you will have to download again. I used Windows XP to put it into a .zip file, so I don't know how WinRar will react to it (I don't have WinRar to experiment with).

If you can wait until this weekend, I'm going to release the updated Janice fight sequence. It's designed to provide a challenge for those who insist on playing with a Level 20 character. I'll also be adding another area/level to the mod.

http://www.e-varmint.net/m70va-2.jpg)
 LoganZezima
01-08-2008, 10:15 PM
In the saved game you started from, have you been to the Leviathan yet?

No.

Also, check your game folders to make sure that none of the .mod files are in the Override folder. They should all be in the Modules folder.

They are in the right spot.

Plus, I solved the problem by linking the dialogue to cheatbot!
 e-varmint
01-09-2008, 9:43 AM
..... I solved the problem by linking the dialogue to cheatbot!

Great Idea!

When I release the final version of the mod, I'll build in a secondary trigger of some sort. I am now inclined to believe that the Warp Droid will only work for players who have not been on the Ebon Hawk yet.
 Darth Payne
01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Have you tried puttong in a console that spawns the warp droid?
 LoganZezima
01-09-2008, 3:08 PM
Then you would have to spawn the console, so that dosen't solve the problem, it only creates a new one.

:launcher: :compcry:
 e-varmint
01-09-2008, 3:57 PM

I'm thinking of modifying an existing dialog of some type. Maybe T3. I'll have to find one that stays consistent throughout the game.
 LoganZezima
01-09-2008, 4:32 PM
T3 would be good because you can't really use him after you leave Taris.

EDIT: Or mabye, it dosen't have to be on the Hawk...

It could be on Dantooine next to the workbench where you construct your first lightsaber...

Or it could be on the Hawk's workbench, like the mod which lets you construct items. That would be the best solution!
 Taak Farst
01-09-2008, 5:02 PM
Is it all hostile fighting and no friendly stuff. I understand the actual reason she is fighting but Janice Nall was just a droid tech, and she was nice so i dont think she would attack a familiar face on site... btw does it hav promised land, id love to meet he poor agen. it would be funny if u asked about bombing and with them being down under they dont know what u talking bout. :lol:
Page: 1 of 3