Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WVC1 Codec

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeff
12-21-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm trying to play an HD .wmv file but apparently I need the WVC1 codec. I looked it up on wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1#WVC1) and it says its the Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile.

I tried a how-to here (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=100829&view=findpost&p=676451) and I thought I installed it but the file still won't play.

I've tried VLC, WMP, and WMP classic. In WMP and Classic it says that I need the codec or the video can't play. In VLC it plays but the sound works but the video screws up or stays at one frame.

So can anyone tell me how or point me to somewhere that tells me how to install this codec?
 Ray Jones
12-21-2007, 2:02 PM
 Astrotoy7
12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
DM - This stuff is built into WMP 11.

Either that or go the convoluted route of patching an earlier version of WMP by hacking in all the updates that are included in WMP11 :D lolz

The SDK, powertoy etc are great, but is more geared toward creating those files, rather than simply playing them back.

Cant say Im a fan of WMV HD... matroska is the weapon of choice for most HD geeks I know, myself included [/rhetorically stated personal preference]

*cough* because if you dont understand how it works you shouldnt bother (http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html) ;)

mtfbwya
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-21-2007, 11:30 PM
*cough* because if you dont understand how it works you shouldnt bother (http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html) ;)

mtfbwyaIf moel doesn't know what MKVs are he is SO out of the anime club.
 Jeff
12-22-2007, 1:49 AM
Don't worry jmac I'm familiar with them.

I've fairly recently reinstalled Windows so I didn't realize I didn't have the latest version of WMP.

Yeah I would have rather not had to deal with a wmv but I didn't have much of a choice without saying too much.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, works fine now.
 Astrotoy7
12-22-2007, 9:13 AM
Don't worry jmac I'm familiar with them.

I've fairly recently reinstalled Windows so I didn't realize I didn't have the latest version of WMP.

Yeah I would have rather not had to deal with a wmv but I didn't have much of a choice without saying too much.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, works fine now.

\o/ another happy customer :)

Yep, unless you have a recent xp build or have incorporated updates into a build, youre lumped with WMP10 in xp

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
12-22-2007, 8:00 PM
WMP11 is so much prettier and it comes with this uber-cool color chooser thing, compared to IE7 it's like...mighty good, me likey :)
 Astrotoy7
12-22-2007, 8:27 PM
WMP11 is so much prettier and it comes with this uber-cool color chooser thing, compared to IE7 it's like...mighty good, me likey :)

there was a color chooser in WMP10...my stepdau used to make her WMP10 pink all the damn time :(

I have to admit I dont mind WMP11, the major point for me being album details/art customisation. It was such a mess in WMP10, but in WMP11 its highly customisable, and editable for custom albums/album art. It was a godsend to those of us who use vista mediacenter as setting up the albums in WMP11 transfers to them being displayed properly in the mc interface.

There probably may be a thrid party alternative thats just as good/better, but for integration purposes, and syncing with the windows mobile devices I have, I need to use it anyway ;)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
12-23-2007, 9:22 AM
there was a color chooser in WMP10...my stepdau used to make her WMP10 pink all the damn time :(

I have to admit I dont mind WMP11, the major point for me being album details/art customisation. It was such a mess in WMP10, but in WMP11 its highly customisable, and editable for custom albums/album art. It was a godsend to those of us who use vista mediacenter as setting up the albums in WMP11 transfers to them being displayed properly in the mc interface.

There probably may be a thrid party alternative thats just as good/better, but for integration purposes, and syncing with the windows mobile devices I have, I need to use it anyway ;)

mtfbwya
Well that's what I said, I just used less words :p
Page: 1 of 1