Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Fixed stuttering cinematics and choppy sound :)

Page: 1 of 1
 SkeeterUK
12-17-2007, 2:34 AM
I found the fix after loads of bug hunting.

What you do is make sure ur using win 98 compatability mode, THEN you start grim, alt and tab then ur back at windows, right click on taskbar and click on task manager, then go to processes section and right click on grim, and set priority then pick lowest then go back ingame and it should all be ok now. :) Worked for me when playing grim in windowed mode in windows xp with sp2.

Heres a topic where i was tryin to find the prob and did.

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=238268&Main=15939#Post238268)

Hope this helps. I have been playing grim fine ever since. I do have it patched btw to latest version and do use the grim launcher thing thats about the internet and have did full install so movies are on the hard drive instead of cd.
 Thrik
12-17-2007, 4:40 AM
Thanks for the tip. :)

Hopefully others can provide feedback so we can gauge how effective this is on various configurations!
 Circuitous
01-23-2008, 8:16 PM
Well, this advice actually didn't help me at all. I saw differences using this method, but not really an improvement.

At any rate, I had the bright idea to change compatibility to Windows 2000. Lo, the cutscenes are smooth and the game so far seems to be working just fine - no missing sounds or crashes so far. I'll keep playing and post here if that changes.
 urluckyday
01-23-2008, 8:27 PM
Just proof that you never know how well GF is gonna work until you try it...god I love that game!
 Circuitous
01-23-2008, 9:11 PM
Okay that didn't last long. Windows 2000 worked for a little while - longer than not using any compatibility method - but it eventually crapped out too.

Edit: Okay, trying something I saw on another thread (task manager, right-click GRIMFANDANGO.exe -> Set Affinity -> CPU 1 and CPU 0 both checked). Seems to be working (longer than the other trials so far).

Edit edit: Nope!
 urluckyday
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM
^Once again...my theory is proven true...it has become a law...
 Circuitous
01-28-2008, 4:22 PM
Okay! Found something that works.

Download this. (http://www.onehitcombo.net/imagecfg.zip)

Unpack it to C: or somewhere you can find it.

Start -> Run -> "cmd"

Navigate to the directory you put imagecfg in, for example:

cd c:\

When you're in the right directory, type:

imagecfg -a 0x1 "C:\Directory\Where\You\Insalled\GRIMFANDANGO.exe"

It'll output four lines of text, and then you're done. Turn off compatibility for GRIMFANDANGO.exe, and run the game.

Basically it sets the CPU Affinity before the game is running (since changing it in realtime doesn't help, and doesn't stick!), and saves it. It is woot.
 creepwood
03-10-2008, 9:02 PM
Okay! Found something that works.

Download this. (http://www.onehitcombo.net/imagecfg.zip)

Unpack it to C: or somewhere you can find it.

Start -> Run -> "cmd"

Navigate to the directory you put imagecfg in, for example:

cd c:\

When you're in the right directory, type:

imagecfg -a 0x1 "C:\Directory\Where\You\Insalled\GRIMFANDANGO.exe"

It'll output four lines of text, and then you're done. Turn off compatibility for GRIMFANDANGO.exe, and run the game.

Basically it sets the CPU Affinity before the game is running (since changing it in realtime doesn't help, and doesn't stick!), and saves it. It is woot.

Thank you so much, I have no idea what it did, but it cleared the problem right up.

Also just before that I had a problem actually ingame where it replicated pieces of manny all across the screen, changing as he moved. That was solved by turning on 3D hardware acceleration.

Just putting it down in case anyone else finds the same problems.
 Nubcake
06-22-2008, 7:36 AM
Thanks, I works perfectly! I tried anything except this. They might add this solution to the "how to run gf on xp" thread.

(worked on two different computers!)
Page: 1 of 1