Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Map Discussion

Page: 1 of 1
 lordzack
12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
This thread is to discuss maps you want in Star Wars Battlefront 3. Please go into detail what you want the maps to be like and avoid lists. I'll go first.

Hoth: Echo Base

I'd like the trench to be the whole width of the canyon, which should be wider. The shield generator should be a destroyable command post again. Echo Base it's self should be much larger and accessable in conquest battles and the Rebels can lock doors and stuff to block Imperial progress. The Imperials should start with five AT-ATs and AT-STs near Echo Base, but no command posts.
 DeathKnight23
12-04-2007, 5:35 AM
This thread is to discuss maps you want in Star Wars Battlefront 3. Please go into detail what you want the maps to be like and avoid lists. I'll go first.

Hoth: Echo Base

I'd like the trench to be the whole width of the canyon, which should be wider. The shield generator should be a destroyable command post again. Echo Base it's self should be much larger and accessable in conquest battles and the Rebels can lock doors and stuff to block Imperial progress. The Imperials should start with five AT-ATs and AT-STs near Echo Base, but no command posts.

I see what ur trying to do by not giving the Empire command post, but the Empire would need command posts otherwise how would the reinforcement counter work for the Empire, locking doors isn't a bad idea - rather like the gate winch on Kashyyyk, which blocks the enemy tanks coming through. They would have like a health bar that could be fixed by Rebel smugglers with fusion cutter. The shield generator IS a destroyable command post in BF2.
 jawathehutt
12-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Ive liked locking doors since playing the manaan map on PC, with ff on, locking a door means its shut the rest of the game, so you have to decide whether its better to permently seal an enemy attack route, or risk leaving it open but being able to use it also.
 natrat29
12-06-2007, 1:34 AM
yeh gates closed would be good but permentaly sealing them for the rest of the game would suck. they should also be able to get destroyed from explosives etc.
 anirox2
12-06-2007, 1:42 AM
hmm yeah gates r good!!!!!!!!!!!
 DeathKnight23
12-06-2007, 3:57 AM
I think there is an overhelming majority for support of the gate idea, and i'm won over by it as well
 PoiuyWired
12-06-2007, 7:39 AM
yeh gates closed would be good but permentaly sealing them for the rest of the game would suck. they should also be able to get destroyed from explosives etc.

Or you can do it like the disappearing walkway in deathstar. Destroying a button and things would lock the door, and fixing it would open, and the like. It should be neutral so both sides can fix/destroy.
 DeathKnight23
12-06-2007, 8:21 AM
yeah, it being neutral is a good idea cos Echo base could be controlled by the Empire (if they take it)
 MachineCult
12-12-2007, 8:24 PM
^^^Echo base can be controlled by the empire already can't it?

Ive liked locking doors since playing the manaan map on PC, with ff on, locking a door means its shut the rest of the game, so you have to decide whether its better to permently seal an enemy attack route, or risk leaving it open but being able to use it also.
The manaan map never worked for me for some reason.
 jawathehutt
12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Did you try the one in the latest conversion pack?
 darkjedimonkey
12-13-2007, 9:03 PM
i think locking door would be sweet. hoth just needs to be bigger with more ways of getting around. at ats are equipped with speeder bikes.
 DeathKnight23
12-14-2007, 4:00 AM
speeder bikes would be helpful, getting around Hoth is very hard when just running
 darkjedimonkey
12-14-2007, 11:00 PM
speeder bikes would be helpful, getting around Hoth is very hard when just running

yeah i agree. didnt vader land in the shuttle on hoth?
imperials could have CP with flying vehicles. like a imperial shuttle or a tie fighter. all maps need fighters and air battles.
i felt like space battles in SWBF2 was a throw off from SWBF 1
 deathclone
12-16-2007, 5:24 AM
yeah i agree. didnt vader land in the shuttle on hoth?
imperials could have CP with flying vehicles. like a imperial shuttle or a tie fighter. all maps need fighters and air battles.
i felt like space battles in SWBF2 was a throw off from SWBF 1
i double agree and if it IS wider speeder bikes to da rescue! or thos cool thingys that the rebles ride
 DeathKnight23
12-17-2007, 7:35 AM
No, u can't have air and ground battles happening at the same time, that wouldn't work, it would be too complicated and there aren't enough com players to fill the map.
 jawathehutt
12-17-2007, 8:22 PM
Did you ever play Besbin: platforms? That map alone proved that air and land combined = awesome.
 GeneralPloKoon
12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Did you ever play Besbin: platforms? That map alone proved that air and land combined = awesome.
I love you....(not really) But what happen to that being in BFII??
I would want Hoth:Echo Base
Raxus Prime:Junkyard
Invisible Hand
Executor
Home One
Return of the Dune Sea...
Coruscant alley
Kashhyykk city
Theed Palace
 DeathKnight23
12-18-2007, 3:56 AM

yeah, and do u remember that towards the end of the battle, all the com players in the fighters jumped out? that showed that it worked but not very well.
 jawathehutt
12-18-2007, 3:52 PM
Hence why you played it online.
 darkjedimonkey
12-18-2007, 4:24 PM
i think that better air support on maps would be sweet
but if thats not possible just more vehicles and options on the ground
 DeathKnight23
12-19-2007, 5:13 AM
I suppose u could have air support on maps, but y wasn't it in BF2 yet in BF1, unless they thought it didn't work very well or it wasn't a good idea?
 darkjedimonkey
12-19-2007, 8:41 PM
I suppose u could have air support on maps, but y wasn't it in BF2 yet in BF1, unless they thought it didn't work very well or it wasn't a good idea?

you have a good point but still i think air support is half of the star wars battle.
you have
air to ground
ground to ground
ground to air
air to air
vice versa

sort of life recon droid on the sniper
thats air support in a way right?
 jawathehutt
12-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Ummm... no, thats just something you spam, air support is like bombers and fighters that do strafing runs on the enemy.
 darkjedimonkey
12-20-2007, 3:13 PM
same difference.

well what u said "air support is like bombers and fighters that do strafing runs on the enemy."
is exactly wat i mean
 jawathehutt
12-20-2007, 3:55 PM
no you said recon droids, they are totally different
 darkjedimonkey
12-20-2007, 4:56 PM
i said sort of like.....
jawathehutt rules
he beats me at everything including baseball
i suck
hes better than me
 TripHammer
12-20-2007, 6:28 PM
I'd like to see a DeathStar Space map. Hero Elimination in The Geonosian Arena. I don't know how they missed those two when creating maps for SWBF2. Utapau with a few more levels and a bit more expansion into some of what they tried to do in SWBF2... like they did with Kamino from SWBF1 into Kamino for SWBF2.

Another idea I thought was kewl that's been floating around some of the SWBF3 wish lists throughout the forums.. is to have a Space map but with the interior of the capital ships more like Tantive IV or some other expanded interior that could be it's own separate map with a space battle going on outside. Introduce an interactive environment where you can lock doors and blast holes through walls.

Kamino: Interior throughout the domes and platforms. Those platforms have levels underneath and under the domes. They did in the movies anyway. The game doesn't show them.

I myself like the idea of Air Support.. It's too bad they dropped it for SWBF2 (excepting Hoth)... Single player with air support is pretty good... during campaign mode or Instant action games. But Multi-player with air support is a slaughter. It attracts the vehicle noobs. They even dropped the sniper calling in an air strike and replaced it with aa auto-turret. Air vehicles ruin online play IMHO.

And Bring back Bespin Cloud City, only expand it. Coruscant is a big planet that is completely city. There's got to be more to it than the Jedi Temple. Some nice gorilla warfare happening I'm sure.

How about Geonosis: "The Works".. with the droid factory.

After all's said and done though.. the modding community comes up with some pretty decent maps after release. Some maps are better than the shipped maps.

Wow.. prolly too much to say on the subject, but I had to get it off my chest.. :cowdance
 jawathehutt
12-20-2007, 8:19 PM
i said sort of like.....
jawathehutt rules
he beats me at everything including baseball
i suck
hes better than me
http://i10.tinypic.com/8b7li09.jpg)

Back on topic, I agree with the idea of attacking the "creation" areas of each team, like the cloning area of Kamino, a foundry, an imperial training base and maybe like a run down area of a city that the rebels were using to train.
 darkjedimonkey
12-21-2007, 2:03 PM
what would happen when the creation area were destroyed?
would troops stop spawning?
that would actually be cool....
 hatae55
01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
im totaly for sky battles, because they were eliminated from BF2 doesnt matter, i kno what i like, and i like bespin and others w/ planes:) besides the second one always sucks. :)
 DeathKnight23
01-08-2008, 3:56 AM
fighters on ground maps though would give such a huge advantage for the players who r in them, take Bespin or Kassyyyk on BF1 for example, the bomber and fighter gave a great advantage over the ground troops. I'm convinced it can work, i'm just not sure whether or not it won't give to much of an advantage to the players in the fighters.
 darkjedimonkey
01-08-2008, 5:05 PM
thats a good point
 Bs|Rogue52
01-09-2008, 5:43 PM
fighters might work if there are enough anti aircraft guns, in the old bespin they had quite a few AA guns, they were easy to biuld and fix
If there are a few ais, or a ton of people on the map they can stop a few pilots from destroying those on the ground when the pilots have to spend some time destroying the AA guns and each other,
 deathclone
01-09-2008, 9:21 PM
Air+ground this is what i thought PS i only hav XBOX and not XBOX live!
well when u spawn u could choose Air/ground the ships could go to ground but.... well.....u would probally crash and if it was like that 1 miss from a bomber could mean disaster for ground people! it would be AWESOME! but only some maps could do it like geonosis from BF2 wide area and look in the sky theres a space battle, so bring the space battle bit close to the ground and there we go and u could just add more units OR lets just say this 100/100
100/100 ( they r the units and u hav 2 100s cuz first 100 is land 2nd 100 is air) big fight! woot awesome i dea yayayayayayayayay yay
 DeathKnight23
01-10-2008, 3:39 AM
fighters might work if there are enough anti aircraft guns, in the old bespin they had quite a few AA guns, they were easy to biuld and fix
If there are a few ais, or a ton of people on the map they can stop a few pilots from destroying those on the ground when the pilots have to spend some time destroying the AA guns and each other,

Hmm... with AA guns, air battles could work, the AA guns would mean that the fighters wouldn't have much of an advantage over the ground troops. And besides in single player, the AI would never hardly fire on the ground.
 deathclone
01-15-2008, 3:34 AM
I'd like to see a DeathStar Space map. Hero Elimination in The Geonosian Arena. I don't know how they missed those two when creating maps for SWBF2. Utapau with a few more levels and a bit more expansion into some of what they tried to do in SWBF2... like they did with Kamino from SWBF1 into Kamino for SWBF2.

Another idea I thought was kewl that's been floating around some of the SWBF3 wish lists throughout the forums.. is to have a Space map but with the interior of the capital ships more like Tantive IV or some other expanded interior that could be it's own separate map with a space battle going on outside. Introduce an interactive environment where you can lock doors and blast holes through walls.

Kamino: Interior throughout the domes and platforms. Those platforms have levels underneath and under the domes. They did in the movies anyway. The game doesn't show them.

I myself like the idea of Air Support.. It's too bad they dropped it for SWBF2 (excepting Hoth)... Single player with air support is pretty good... during campaign mode or Instant action games. But Multi-player with air support is a slaughter. It attracts the vehicle noobs. They even dropped the sniper calling in an air strike and replaced it with aa auto-turret. Air vehicles ruin online play IMHO.

And Bring back Bespin Cloud City, only expand it. Coruscant is a big planet that is completely city. There's got to be more to it than the Jedi Temple. Some nice gorilla warfare happening I'm sure.

How about Geonosis: "The Works".. with the droid factory.

After all's said and done though.. the modding community comes up with some pretty decent maps after release. Some maps are better than the shipped maps.

Wow.. prolly too much to say on the subject, but I had to get it off my chest.. :cowdance
well if people had skill (like SOME people *cough me cough and alot of other peope* well i can take out ship with machine guns! its easy u just gotta see were they are bam bam bam they try to evade when u shoot i see were they go fast. i react bam bam woooooooooooooo BOOM. if u guys hav skill u stop complaining and SHOOT! (PS it was 2 vs 1 and my friends are good at this game)
 jawathehutt
01-15-2008, 4:29 PM
Learn how to type and dont diss triphammer
 TripHammer
01-16-2008, 8:30 PM
Yea.. don't dis da Trip... :( Having skill is not a label you put on yourself... you're labeled that way by others. It doesn't take "skill" to wipe out an air ship, and there are easier ways than "machine guns" to get them... that's not the point.

When's the last time you got in a server and everyone acted like a team.. (putting aside playing with your clan, if you're in one). If you join a public server, it's every man for himself.. very seldom do you see someone spawning in as a heavy trooper so he can be the vehicle balance... You only see that when the vehicle is spawn killing at the last CP.. otherwise ppl spawn in as their favorite unit or another unit they're comfortable with. You never see someone in a public server thinking of the team... everyone wants to be on the top of the score list. Nobody cares about "Darth_Johnny_Doe" who made tank buster award but was on the bottom of the kill list. That's what teams/clans are for. Teamwork and "taking one for the team".

I don't have a problem with air support or air vehicles in campaign mode or instant action.. but in multiplayer, I usually play without bots.. (cuz that's where the skilled ppl play.. not myself of course ;), but I learn from the others). Without bots.. air support is just dumb. Vehicle noobs will get in a tank and just rape the map. SWBF3 (as if), I hope will introduce a way of turning on/off vehicles, that way both ends of the spectrum will be happy.. the noobed and the skilled ;)
Page: 1 of 1