Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

32-bit Vista vs. 64-bit Vista

Page: 1 of 1
 Serpentine Cougar
12-01-2007, 1:10 AM
I'm thinking about getting a new computer, and was looking at the myriad of different versions of Windows Vista. I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of using the 32-bit or the 64-bit version. Will my old games and programs still work if I use the 64-bit version? Are the most recent PC games only compatible with 64-bit?

Any help will be much appreciated.
 Jae Onasi
12-01-2007, 1:45 AM
You'll likely have a little more success here in the General Tech forum, so I moved it here for you. :)
 Astrotoy7
12-01-2007, 8:56 AM
Hello Serpentine, welcome to the tech forum!

Interesting that you have asked that question, as there is a current raging debate about it Rogue Nines thread regarding his new system

I use Vista x64 on my main gaming/work pc as well as on two dedicated home theater pcs.

Rather than issue you with a blanket statement that "x64 is faster" or "dont get it it sux!". here are a few of facts, followed by some important questions so we can fully address you original query :)

Facts:
*Vista x64 bit contains an x86 emulation layer that means it can run many x86 processes. Mainly in instances where the app makes significant changes to the registry, is there an actual need for an x64 specific app. This is due to the differences between x86 and x64 registry structure.

*Vista x64 allows support for over 4gb RAM up to a theoretical 128gb with vista ultimate/business. >>still, you will need to decide if this is relevant to you and what you plan on doing with your system

*There are indeed older games that may not work in x64 Vista, but in this instance it is likely they wont work in x86 vista as well(even using xp/2000 compatibility mode). If you are really keen on games like KOTOR, The Monkey Island series etc - then Vista isnt a good idea.

Queries:
*what do you mainly use your pc for ??
*what apps do you often use ??
*what games do you commonly play ??
*what type of hardware are you planning for your new pc, including max resolution of the monitor you will be using ??

good luck

mtfbwya
 Serpentine Cougar
12-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks Jae, I didn't notice this; sorry!

What is x86? Is that what XP/2000/etc. used?

*what do you mainly use your pc for ??
Games, word processing, listening to music, surfing the net, a little image manipulation...

*what apps do you often use ??
Windows Media Player, Open Office, Notepad++, GIMP, Firefox, etc....

*what games do you commonly play ??
KotoR, Morrowind, slightly-older games, and then also some DOS games using DOSBox and some PSX games through emulators, but would like to be able to play recent games such as Crysis.

*what type of hardware are you planning for your new pc, including max resolution of the monitor you will be using ??
Nothing too special, just want to be able to play recent computer games.

So I guess there's no cut-and-dry rule that programs that worked on previous windows won't work on x64 vista? Some do and some don't?

Are there any games out yet that require 64-bit Vista?
 Astrotoy7
12-03-2007, 7:08 AM
...Are there any games out yet that require 64-bit Vista?

Nope, not yet - and that probably wont be the case for a while. There are some x64 optimised versions of games floating around, but they are relatively uncommon.

Based on the games you mentioned, I recommend you stick with xp. KOTOR isnt a proven performer in vista. If you really want to try vista then dual booting may be an option. I know many gamers who do this simply to be able to play the retro stuff.

if you do want to play crysis, I recommend a halfway decent graphics card that will serve you for a little whiles yet - the 3850 and the 8800GT seem to be ones to go for. See Rogue Nine's thread for links to benchmarks etc for these two cards.

mtfbwya
 Ray Jones
12-03-2007, 9:08 AM
I think Astro pretty much sums it up, although I don't think Serpentine is looking for the right XP version.

However, my advice is go XP (32Bit) if you do not have a reason at hand that tells you you must go Vista, especially if you have balls made of iron that could take the ache that a new installation of Vista whatever might unleash upon you. It will save you hardware resources and the trouble you will have with the next Vista Service Pack.

In case you want to go Vista, or do not want to reinstall later, then go 64 Bit as well, just for the heck of it, and to make Thrik a happy, ejaculating man. ;-*
 Serpentine Cougar
12-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the help guys!
Page: 1 of 1