Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Guild Wars: Jumping is way overrated

Page: 1 of 3
 Rogue Nine
10-19-2007, 10:05 AM
So yeah, I know that more than a few of us play GW nowadays, thus I say 'Let there be a GW thread!'
Note: This is not to turn into a 'lol WoW/insert other MMO here is better' pissing contest, so don't even try to bring it here, plzkthnxbai.

I've been playing since release in 2005, have all three campaigns plus Eye of the North and play all primary classes except for Mesmers. I'm really heavy into PvE, not so much PvP, cuz I like getting stomped on by level 33 monsters in Hard Mode more than getting stomped on by gosu Korean contract killers in PvP. I'm in an awesome PvE-oriented guild (with Jae!) and we have fun hanging around the guild hall and discussing the latest armor fashions (Norn armor is bringing fur back in style, oyea).

My favorite characters are my Ranger and my Monk. I run a Splinter/Barrage build on my Ranger with Pain Inverter for bosses/eles and it makes things go boom. I run a straight Word of Healing build on my Monk, cuz teammates dying is bad, and I'm really loving Seed of Life and Holy Haste.

So yeah, now that I've babbled on semi-coherently about this, lemme know what you all think! What're your favorite builds? Which campaign do you like the best? Where do you like to farm for phat loot? Do Jora's 'large tracts of land' make you all hot and bothered? Tell me!
 Ztalker
10-19-2007, 1:10 PM
Yes! Finally a place for our kind! :D

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1902/ztalkerandurilak3.jpg)

Since someone commented my last armor (the Luxon one) made me look like a dejected Power Ranger monster, I decided to get me another one. I'll dye it black in a few days, and change my guild cape to black as well.
I just wanted to look like Arthas from WoW, to be honest :xp:

Anyways, favourite build is the Warrior/Necromancer. It has condition removal (even gives it to enemies), enough power, and with those spikes on my armor I don't really have a choice, do I?
 Jason Skywalker
10-19-2007, 1:13 PM
Would you reccomend me GW and give me reasons please? I'm tempted to buy the game and some expansions for Xmas.
 Rogue Nine
10-19-2007, 1:23 PM
Since someone commented my last armor (the Luxon one) made me look like a dejected Power Ranger monster, I decided to get me another one.
lol, that was me. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2230811&postcount=31) Good to see you've got yourself some nicer-looking duds. :D

Which heroes do you usually run with?
 Ztalker
10-19-2007, 1:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jason Skywalker
Would you reccomend me GW and give me reasons please? I'm tempted to buy the game and some expansions for Xmas.

Positive (Imo)
Well...to put it bluntly:
Paying a monthly fee gives puts you under pressure. You don't have to pay for Guild Wars, so you can quit for a half year if you please, and pick it up later.
Also, the style is...more realistic. Maybe a bit of Lotr-like with it's Lore and stuff. Also, team-play is not nessecary if you don't want it. It is possible, and you possibly have to team up to face the greatest challenges. But it's not like WoW where 'social pressure' is applied because you can't go anywhere without a guild.
The story is brilliant...

Negative
The game isn't free-roaming like WoW. You won't encounter players outside the main cities. Every outpost is like a standard MMO. But outside, the game loads the map from your hard disk. Unless you party up with people in the towns, you will be alone.
Not as..."big" as WoW. Every weapon can have 3 upgrades: One comes with the weapon (Plus X% when...Y (condition) ) and 2 material upgrades like a Sword Hilt and Pommel.
 Pho3nix
10-19-2007, 2:31 PM
I still think the lack of a jump feature ruins this game for me.
 Corinthian
10-19-2007, 2:38 PM
I played it, briefly. Not really sure why I stopped. Most of my buddies disliked it, though, and after they quit I sort of lost interest. I've still got the CDs around here somewhere.
 Jae Onasi
10-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Heh, I just started, and it's great fun. I like the fact that I don't have to pay monthly fees (can't justify the monthly cost with family and work and all), and I can play with guildmates (thanks Niner!) or I can go solo and take a bunch of Heroes and henchmen if I just want to take my time to meander around and explore the place or kill off a bunch of Iboga to find that last stupid Iboga petal (finally got one today, heh). I'm playing an elemental/dervish (because I wanted to try those out), but I'm having such a good time nuking everything with Firestorm and Ebon Hawk (it's a real spell skill, honest!) that I'll likely change my secondary profession to something more spell-casting related and just play a dervish for my second character.

Having never played any kind of MMO before, I've discovered I have a lot to learn. MMO-speak is its own language. :D
 Jeff
10-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Negative
The game isn't free-roaming like WoW. You won't encounter players outside the main cities. Every outpost is like a standard MMO. But outside, the game loads the map from your hard disk. Unless you party up with people in the towns, you will be alone.
Not as..."big" as WoW. Every weapon can have 3 upgrades: One comes with the weapon (Plus X% when...Y (condition) ) and 2 material upgrades like a Sword Hilt and Pommel.You forgot no jumping. Jumping is an integral part of any MMO and this lack of feature cannot be forgiven.

BTW I actually own Guild Wars, I got it in late 2005 IIRC but I could never get in to it. My friends have tried to get me back in to it but (lack of jumping aside) it just couldn't spark my interest.
 Rogue Nine
10-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I fail to see what vital function jumping serves, as I've been getting along just fine without it. :xp:

And yay for Jae finding the iboga petal! Now you can finally get that silly quest out of the way, then we can do the mish for Blacktide Den. :3
 Jae Onasi
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Heh. I have one more petal to find and then I'm all good. I went and nuked a bunch of Iboga today. After I find the next one, I"ll probably find like 20 of them in 10 minutes. :D

Is it worth it to buy a lockpick, btw? I love opening up those Istani chests. It's kinda like getting a big present on your birthday.
 Rogue Nine
10-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Er, not so much the lockpick just yet. Save those for the Locked Chests, because those are the better ones to use the lockpick on. Just use Istani Keys for the Istani Chests.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-20-2007, 1:47 AM
I fail to see what vital function jumping serves, as I've been getting along just fine without it. :xp:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iWXIw-JnsWo)

As that video stated clearly, jumping is both an integral and Xtreme component of the game.
 Ztalker
10-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Which heroes do you usually run with?

Usually my 'pimped' Koss (Variation of Quivering Blade build), Vekk (Searing Flames) and one of the Hero Monks :) Which ones do you use?
O yeah, thanks on the armor...no more 'Power Ranger' comments on me :xp:

Originally Posted by jmac7142
As that video stated clearly, jumping is both an integral and Xtreme component of the game.

Allright. Could you explain how those WoW Warrior with their tons of armor could jump? Hell, I'd be amazed if my own character (above) wouldn't die of exhaustion by even trying to jump :xp:
 Jae Onasi
10-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Heh, after seeing thousands of people in armor replicas, I can tell you definitively that they don't jump, especially the ones in full plate armor.
 Corinthian
10-21-2007, 7:56 PM
I'd have to disagree with that, Jae. Plate armor is fairly heavy, but it's spread out over the entire body. Sixty pounds isn't so bad when you can use almost every muscle in your body to hold it up. Knights were more than capable of hoisting themselves into the saddle and even being fairly quick and even graceful in combat.
 Rogue Nine
10-21-2007, 8:00 PM
I usually run with Hayda (Song of Restoration build for party support in rough areas/Go For the Eyes with Focused Anger for Crits), Livia (MM as I've found she tends to stay alive a bit better than Olias) and either Gwen (Interrupts), Vekk (Savannah Heat nuke), Jora (Hundred Blades/Quivering Blade damage build) or Ogden (WoH heal) as the situation dictates.

Unless I'm doing Vizunah, in which case I pimp three MMs and hope they don't kill each other with Blood of the Master. xD
 RedHawke
10-22-2007, 6:35 AM
I'd have to disagree with that, Jae. Plate armor is fairly heavy, but it's spread out over the entire body. Sixty pounds isn't so bad when you can use almost every muscle in your body to hold it up. Knights were more than capable of hoisting themselves into the saddle and even being fairly quick and even graceful in combat.
Having worn and used full plate armor myself I can tell you that while you can jump (if you are certafiable, as I was) you don't jump too high. (If you try alot you get hurt alot, as I did... medic! :xp: )

Pulling yourself up into a saddle is also a chore (11 1/2 hands is darn high)... as actual full plate was not really meant for horseback, they wore another type of modified plate armor for riding (Not as protective in some of the lower areas covered by the horse and possible barding, about a 5-10 minute suit change/alteration) and another for jousting (Specialty Tourney Armor).

Just a little FYI of where Jae is coming from, @ My 2 credits. ;)

But now when you add 'magic' into the options (Fantasy setting) then you should be able to jump all you want especially in mithril armor.

On-topic: Jumping is only important in a game that needs it, if real-time combat is involved then jumping is a must, turn based combat it isn't neccissary.
 stoffe
10-22-2007, 7:46 AM
I'd have to disagree with that, Jae. Plate armor is fairly heavy, but it's spread out over the entire body. Sixty pounds isn't so bad when you can use almost every muscle in your body to hold it up.

Even if you can jump in full plate I doubt anyone could bunny-hop around in full plate all the time as their primary means of moving around. :)

(But jumping is probably the least unbelievable part in that particular video anyway, since you can hardly cast spells, or throw yourself off a 500 meter high cliff and walk away without a scratch in real life either. :))

@topic: Just got GW:Nightfall today. Haven't had time to install or play it yet, but hopefully I will in the next few days.
 Rogue Nine
10-22-2007, 9:01 AM
Even if you can jump in full plate I doubt anyone could bunny-hop around in full plate all the time as their primary means of moving around. :)
Quoted for absolute truth!

@topic: Just got GW:Nightfall today. Haven't had time to install or play it yet, but hopefully I will in the next few days.
Woo! And when you do, let Jae or Sam or I know what your in-game name is so we can party up and sugar-daddy you. :3
 Jae Onasi
10-22-2007, 11:20 AM

Oh, I didn't say you _can't_ jump, just that people in armor _don't_ jump. Sixty pounds extra on a body weighs you down, and while you can jump, it's wasted effort unless you're doing it for a very specific reason. Not to mention that when you jump. some of the pieces can slip down in spots and pinch skin, and I've treated plenty of 'armor bites'. :)

I have some starter goodies for you, stoffe, when you go online, depending on what class you pick out, and I'll run around with you if you need help on quests. I'm not at level 20 yet (got to 18) but if you need a fire elementalist let me know.

Bob's got the game, now, too. :)
 Rogue Nine
10-23-2007, 9:24 AM
So how are our GW virgins doing? I know Jae still has to cap her first elite skill and stoffe probably has to start doing all her little growing-up quests and whatnot. Let Papa Niner know so he can sugar-daddy you! >:3
 Ztalker
10-23-2007, 9:41 AM
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
So how are our GW virgins doing? I know Jae still has to cap her first elite skill and stoffe probably has to start doing all her little growing-up quests and whatnot. Let Papa Niner know so he can sugar-daddy you! >:3

Tip 1: Get yourself some nice looking armor, or this 'sugar daddy' will start commenting on it with obscure 90's action series references :xp:

But seriously, maybe it's an idea to create a Lucasforums Guild or something? :)
 Rogue Nine
10-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Dude, c'mon, you were asking for it with that Luxon armor. You looked like something Lord Zedd would've thrown at the Power Rangers (who are hardly obscure, by the way). :xp:

And I would like the idea of a LucasForums guild if I wasn't already in a super-awesome PvE guild. I certainly wouldn't mind helping any forum members out in pretty much any capacity, however. :)
 stoffe
10-23-2007, 1:53 PM

I installed the game (Nightfall) and started playing as an Elementalist sorceress yesterday. I got to the first town before I had to stop playing. I managed to clear out the village attacked by pirates (the one you have to catapult down two pirate ships in) without any losses, so either I'm starting to somewhat get the hang of the fighting, or that mission was designed to be insanely easy. Probably the latter, since I still have no idea how to tell your minions what to do. :) I also miss the ability to pause and give orders during combat, but that might be somewhat problematic in a multiplayer game.

In general spells seem to be rather weak forcing you to bombard even lowly pirate grunts with dozens of Flare bolts before they die. Probably just the way this game is though, and I'm too used to the more bang for your buck spells of D&D games. :) Might also have something to do with enemies seemingly regenerating their health nearly as quickly as I'm capable of damaging them. Apparently the whole world in inhabited by Trolls or Wolfweres.

Still a lot to figure out how it works, even though Jae thankfully explained some things I couldn't figure out (how to identify items, what to do with salvage items etc...).

Tip 1: Get yourself some nice looking armor, or this 'sugar daddy' will start commenting on it with obscure 90's action series references :xp:

Seems to be easier said than done. I bought some new robes (if you can call them that, more like a summer evening gown) in the town to get better protection, but then the game changed the color of them from what I set at character creation. What's the point of customizing your character's look if it's going to be force-changed the second you get out of the tutorial anyway? :)

I wanted my white robes dammit, not the dust-gray new ones the merchant gave me. :punch1 You'd think that a tailor would ask what color you want if they're going to custom-make you clothing no one else can use. :) So... either fashion or utility it seems. Choices...
 Ztalker
10-23-2007, 2:19 PM
Yep...if you buy armor, it will start with the standard 'grey' look. By buying Dyes you can change the appearance again. :)

And you will obtain new 'kaboom!' spells, don't worry. The first time you throw in your Meteor Shower, Searing Flames, Earthquake the game will be different. Same goes for when you accuire your first 'Elite' skill. These can only be captured by the 'Signets of Capture' near dead bosses sharing your profession.

Those Pirate grunts will think twice then :xp:
 stoffe
10-23-2007, 2:23 PM
Yep...if you buy armor, it will start with the standard 'grey' look. By buying Dyes you can change the appearance again. :)

From what Jae said it sounds like white paint is more expensive than saffron in the GW universe though, so I guess I won't be able to look the way I want for quite a while. How annoying.

And you will obtain new 'kaboom!' spells, don't worry. The first time you throw in your Meteor Shower, Searing Flames, Earthquake the game will be different. Same goes for when you accuire your first 'Elite' skill. These can only be captured by the 'Signets of Capture' near dead bosses sharing your profession.

I guess that's quite far off into the future though, my character is just level 3 and know a handful of spells that other NPCs taught me. There is one "death from above" fire spell, but it's blast radius is pitiful and so is the damage output compared to Flare, so it's not terribly useful beyond the flashiness (compared to the earlier spells) of it. :)
 Rogue Nine
10-23-2007, 2:31 PM
From what Jae said it sounds like white paint is more expensive than saffron in the GW universe though, so I guess I won't be able to look the way I want for quite a while. How annoying.
Once you get the max level armor you want, send me a PM in-game (or here!) and I'll hook you up with whatever dye you want. :)

I guess that's quite far off into the future though, my character is just level 3 and know a handful of spells that other NPCs taught me. There is one "death from above" fire spell, but it's blast radius is pitiful and so is the damage output compared to Flare, so it's not terribly useful beyond the flashiness (compared to the earlier spells) of it. :)
You won't get access to any of the really fun nuking spells until you're level 20 and off of the starter island. Don't worry about it though, you'll be there before you know it. For now, just continue to familiarize yourself with the game. :3
 stoffe
10-23-2007, 2:39 PM
Once you get the max level armor you want, send me a PM in-game (or here!) and I'll hook you up with whatever dye you want. :)

How far up do the armors go? My current one has +15 AC. I gather the better ones are only available on the mainland at any rate, right?
 Rogue Nine
10-23-2007, 2:46 PM
Max AL (Armor Level) for Elementalists is 60, since they're casters. Front-line warriors have the highest AL at 80, while most everyone else is either 70 (Rangers, Dervishes, Assassins) or 60.

Have a look at GuildWiki in the Armor section. It has pictures of all the different armors (as well as where to get them!), so see if you like any of them before committing to dying it, since you can't recover dye. :s
 Ztalker
10-24-2007, 3:25 AM
O yeah, the costs of armors varies as well, I might add:

There's the standard armor which costs 1 platinum per part. Some of the armors (if not all) have an end-game Elite variant with a more'unique' skin. These cost 15 platinum per part.

And then there's the 'Underworld' armor which will cost..millions... :)
 stoffe
10-24-2007, 6:38 AM
There's the standard armor which costs 1 platinum per part. Some of the armors (if not all) have an end-game Elite variant with a more'unique' skin. These cost 15 platinum per part.

And then there's the 'Underworld' armor which will cost..millions... :)

Is there any difference between standard issue armor and elite armor other than the appearance? Looks like they are charging a lot more for fashion than utility in this game. How real-world like. :)
 Rogue Nine
10-24-2007, 8:57 AM
They do charge a lot more for fashion than utility in GW, sadly. The standard max level armor costs one platinum (1000 gold) a piece, so essentially, that's really all you need to help you advance in the game. Some people (like me) however, are very picky about how their characters look, so they spring for the more expensive 'elite' armor. There is no functional difference between the (usually) 15k elite and the 1k standard armor; they're purely aesthetic. Elite armor tends to be more detailed and, for the most part, 'prettier' than the standard stuff (there are exceptions). So there really is no rush to get an elite set of armor when you're just starting out.

Oh, and in Nightfall you get access to an elite set of armor fairly early on, once you get to the Sunspear Sanctuary and do the requisite quests. In Factions and Prophecies, you had to wait until you were at least 3/4ths of the way done with the game before you gained access to elite armor.

Here's an example of elite armor:
http://9.echonetwork.net/Crap/GW/PallasGW01.png)
This is my monk in Elite Kurzick Armor. If you look on GuildWiki, they should have screenshots of the regular Kurzick armor. My stuff, for the most part, is more detailed and 'prettier-looking' than the standard (which is why I got it. :3)
 stoffe
10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
They do charge a lot more for fashion than utility in GW, sadly. The standard max level armor costs one platinum (1000 gold) a piece, so essentially, that's really all you need to help you advance in the game. Some people (like me) however, are very picky about how their characters look, so they spring for the more expensive 'elite' armor.

Is there any way to in-game preview how a piece of clothing looks before you buy it, or do I have to look that up in the Wiki to avoid buying blindly?

Some people (like me) however, are very picky about how their characters look, so they spring for the more expensive 'elite' armor.

Me too, I tend to mod most games I play to make the protagonist look like I want. :) No chance for that in an online game though, so I guess I'll have to endure the grayness until I get more cash and better attire. If you color clothing/armor once, can you apply another color after that if you change your mind and want it to look differently later?

There is no functional difference between the (usually) 15k elite and the 1k standard armor; they're purely aesthetic.

So, works mostly like in the real world then, extravagant expensive clothing as a way of showing off wealth. :)

Here's an example of elite armor:
Screenshot (http://9.echonetwork.net/Crap/GW/PallasGW01.png)
This is my monk in Elite Kurzick Armor.

Looks nice. I just have the first upgrade to the standard attire you start with so far. But there doesn't seem to be any Elite version of that, judging by the wiki:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1712/elementalnb2.jpg)

By the way, is the Energy Storage skill the only way to get more Energy points? If so, do the other caster classes have something similar? I noticed the Energy pool didn't increase in size when leveling up...
 Rogue Nine
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Is there any way to in-game preview how a piece of clothing looks before you buy it, or do I have to look that up in the Wiki to avoid buying blindly?
No, sadly there is no in-game way of previewing armor before you buy it, so you need to look it up on the wiki. It has fully body shots of most of the armor sets as well as back and partial shots, so it works fairly well.

Me too, I tend to mod most games I play to make the protagonist look like I want. :) No chance for that in an online game though, so I guess I'll have to endure the grayness until I get more cash and better attire. If you color clothing/armor once, can you apply another color after that if you change your mind and want it to look differently later?
Yes, you can! And thankfully, you can preview the effects of the dye before you actually dye the armor. You can also combine different colors to come up with different hues and whatnot.

So, works mostly like in the real world then, extravagant expensive clothing as a way of showing off wealth. :)
Personally, I could care less about showing off to other people. For me, it's all about looking good. If I'm going to be staring at an avatar for many hours at a time, it better well damn look good to me. :xp:

Looks nice. I just have the first upgrade to the standard attire you start with so far. But there doesn't seem to be any Elite version of that, judging by the wiki:
Screenshot (http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1712/elementalnb2.jpg)
Thanks! And yeah, Istani armor doesn't have an elite counterpart. Sunspear armor does, however. I have it on my elementalist character and I would show it to you if I wasn't posting from work. :S

By the way, is the Energy Storage skill the only way to get more Energy points? If so, do the other caster classes have something similar? I noticed the Energy pool didn't increase in size when leveling up...
Energy Storage is the Elementalist class Primary Attribute, meaning only Elementalists have access to it. As you level up, make sure you distrubute your attribute points accordingly (K key). The more points you have in Energy Storage, the bigger your energy pool will be. Most elementalists put a ton into Energy storage and a ton into whatever element they specialize in (predominantly fire, with a fair few earth eles).
 stoffe
10-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Energy Storage is the Elementalist class Primary Attribute, meaning only Elementalists have access to it.

So the other caster classes (Necro, Mesmer etc?) have to make do with a much smaller energy pool? Or do their spells not require as much energy to cast to compensate?

As you level up, make sure you distrubute your attribute points accordingly (K key). The more points you have in Energy Storage, the bigger your energy pool will be. Most elementalists put a ton into Energy storage and a ton into whatever element they specialize in (predominantly fire, with a fair few earth eles).

I've put most of my attribute points in Energy storage, Fire magic and Earth Magic so far. The Air and Water spells I've seen so far both did pitiful damage compared to the Fire/Earth spells. Though monsters with lightning spells seem to do a fair amount of damage, so perhaps they grow in potency more quickly than fire magic if you invest in those instead.

I multiclassed into a Monk as suggested for he healing, though the healing spells I got in the boot camp didn't seem terribly useful, restoring very little health, and I'll probably spread my points too thin to be decent at anything if I put a load of attribute points in the Healing attr. as well. Probably best to bring a healer minion along for now instead?

Speaking of skills, what do the "Hero skills" merchants in the towns do? I'd guess you could use them to make your Hero (only got one so far) learn more skills? But then there was a bunch of skills in that merchant that said they could only be used by the player and not heroes, so it didn't make much sense.
 Rogue Nine
10-24-2007, 1:29 PM
So the other caster classes (Necro, Mesmer etc?) have to make do with a much smaller energy pool? Or do their spells not require as much energy to cast to compensate?
Well, by and large the elementalist has the largest energy pool in the game. I think the other casters start out with 30-40 base energy and yes, their spells usually do not carry as high a cost as some elementalist spells.

All classes have the opportunity to increase both their HP and energy pools through the use of runes and insignias, which you can attach to each piece of your armor. Runes of Vigor and Vitae and Survivor insignia all add health, while Runes of Attunement and Radiant insignias add energy. They're not so vital when you're starting out, but once you've got max level armor, you should think about investing in some. :)

I've put most of my attribute points in Energy storage, Fire magic and Earth Magic so far. The Air and Water spells I've seen so far both did pitiful damage compared to the Fire/Earth spells. Though monsters with lightning spells seem to do a fair amount of damage, so perhaps they grow in potency more quickly than fire magic if you invest in those instead.
Fire has the highest damage output of all the elements, bar none. Earth can hit pretty hard too, but can't match fire skill for skill with raw lethality. Water elementalists are rare, as their skills are more passive in nature, slowing the enemy down and relying on health degen and conditions rather that outright damage. Air is suited for spiking, that is, taking down a single target with focused attacks, thus the inherent 25% armor penetration effect in most spells. If you'll notice, there are no AoE spells in the Air line, only ones that focus on a single foe. Thus, they tend to be specialized and effective in very select situations.

Oh, and while your PCs are limited to level 20, there is no such limitation for monsters. They can, and often are, higher level than you, meaning that they have more attribute points to play around with and as such, can hit harder with their skills than you can. But don't be discouraged, they're still just computer AI and are usually handled easily with proper tactics.

I multiclassed into a Monk as suggested for he healing, though the healing spells I got in the boot camp didn't seem terribly useful, restoring very little health, and I'll probably spread my points too thin to be decent at anything if I put a load of attribute points in the Healing attr. as well. Probably best to bring a healer minion along for now instead?
Multiclassing isn't so vital at this point in time while you're just starting out, since you can get by with your primary class's spells for the most part. It becomes more important a little later on in the game when it's handy to have another skill or two from a different class. Most people suggest the Monk or the Mesmer class as a secondary for the Elementalist, since the Monk offers rechargable resurrection spells (as opposed to the one-use Resurrection Signet) and the Mesmer offers the opportunity for energy management, as well as the spell Arcane Echo, which allows you to copy one of the spells on your skillbar, effectively giving you two chances to cast that spell in succession.

As for self-healing, you'll learn as a non-Monk that it is your focus to put the hurt on the opposing forces as much as you can and leave the healing to your heroes/henchies/friends who are Monks. The Monk is the only character class primarily designed around mitigating conditions and damage and restoring health, so you should leave the monks to do their jobs while you focus on killing the enemies so they don't get to your monk. Sure, you can help the monks out by casting Aura of Restoration, but beyond that, leave the healing to Dunkoro/Tahlkora.

Speaking of skills, what do the "Hero skills" merchants in the towns do? I'd guess you could use them to make your Hero (only got one so far) learn more skills? But then there was a bunch of skills in that merchant that said they could only be used by the player and not heroes, so it didn't make much sense.
Yeah, Sunspear skills should be on the skill merchant, but I think because you purchase them via hero skill points (which you acquire by gaining new levels in Sunspear rank), they're on the hero skill trainer. Sunspear skills are PvE only skills that only your character may equip, meaning your heroes are unable to use them. Your heroes can use any skills your character knows and you have the opportunity to have them learn more through the hero skill trainer.
 stoffe
10-26-2007, 8:19 PM
Fire has the highest damage output of all the elements, bar none. Earth can hit pretty hard too, but can't match fire skill for skill with raw lethality. Water elementalists are rare, as their skills are more passive in nature, slowing the enemy down and relying on health degen and conditions rather that outright damage.

Speaking of which, when/where can you find some new useful Fire spells? I still use the ones I got for free during the tutorial, haven't found anything new since then (Flare, Firestorm).

And are there any decent defensive spells, and of what type? I got one Earth spell that should give 50% block chance for allies (is the caster herself included in "allies" or does that only help your minion?), but nothing much else.

Oh, and while your PCs are limited to level 20, there is no such limitation for monsters. They can, and often are, higher level than you, meaning that they have more attribute points to play around with and as such, can hit harder with their skills than you can.

There's nothing quite making you feel like an epic hero than everyone you meet being more powerful than yourself individually, and then heavily outnumbering you in addition to that. :)

Kind of makes you wonder why the bad-guys just spend their time randomly wandering around the countryside instead of taking over the world or something.

Multiclassing isn't so vital at this point in time while you're just starting out, since you can get by with your primary class's spells for the most part. It becomes more important a little later on in the game when it's handy to have another skill or two from a different class.

My biggest problem at the moment is that there aren't enough Skill slots to bring along all the spells I want, and filling out with spells from another class as well will hardly make that any easier. :) The only Monk spell I've had use for so far is the Resurrect one.

I'm just missing some form of quick key or keyboard shortcut to order my minions to heal me. Sometimes they're a bit slow and I have to run away from enemies before they get the message.

By the way, what does the blue icon and number that float above some (but not all) player characters in towns and outposts mean? Haven't been able to figure that out. The one the red arrow points at, which is shown instead of their classes and level:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3294/weirdiconsv0.jpg)

(And why does Kamadan look like it's been dragged into a theme park located in Oblivion all of a sudden, with gloomy lighting, blood red sky, weird monsters and cardboard cutouts everywhere? :))
 swphreak
10-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I actually have Guild Wars, but I haven't played in ages. So I'm not sure if my account has been purged or something. Checked my master acount, still there. I distinctly remember why I quit: those mother****ing Dwarves. They pissed me off so much.

Until I got to the Dwarflands I remember having fun going on quests with people. We formed a guild and had our own capes too.

What exactly is in the new expansions? Do you have to install Guild Wars and then each expansions to play?
 Jae Onasi
10-27-2007, 12:08 AM
SWP--I have Nightfall but not the original GW, and I'll probably pick up GW:EN soon. I didn't need to have the original GW to play Nightfall. I have not seen any dwarves in Nightfall, but I still have quite a bit to play through. Come play with us. :)

stoffe--they're having a Halloween 'party' in Kamadan, that's why it looks so odd. I just bought some squash serum from Horseman Jaysin in Champion's Dawn and Horseman Kronar in Kodlanu Hamlet to turn into a pumpkin head on Halloween. I finally found a use for those silver bullions and copper shillings :D Here's some Halloween event info (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Halloween_2007) for you if you'd like.
 swphreak
10-27-2007, 8:40 AM
How about someone hooking me up with a buddy key for whatever expansion you're playing, and I'll give it a try.
 Rogue Nine
10-27-2007, 1:55 PM
Speaking of which, when/where can you find some new useful Fire spells? I still use the ones I got for free during the tutorial, haven't found anything new since then (Flare, Firestorm).

And are there any decent defensive spells, and of what type? I got one Earth spell that should give 50% block chance for allies (is the caster herself included in "allies" or does that only help your minion?), but nothing much else.
They're all on the mainland, so be patient. :)

There's nothing quite making you feel like an epic hero than everyone you meet being more powerful than yourself individually, and then heavily outnumbering you in addition to that. :)
But there's something infinitely satisfying in laying the beatdown on those foes through good teamwork and tactics. :3

Kind of makes you wonder why the bad-guys just spend their time randomly wandering around the countryside instead of taking over the world or something.
Well, why do you think we're around. xD

My biggest problem at the moment is that there aren't enough Skill slots to bring along all the spells I want, and filling out with spells from another class as well will hardly make that any easier. :) The only Monk spell I've had use for so far is the Resurrect one.
As I said before, part of the game is picking which skillset to use for a situation. You're just starting out now, but as you progress through the game (with my help and Jae's and anyone else's from here :)), you'll become more proficient at choosing your spells.

I'm just missing some form of quick key or keyboard shortcut to order my minions to heal me. Sometimes they're a bit slow and I have to run away from enemies before they get the message.
If you click on the little numbers next to their name in the party list, you can actually bring up their skill bars and tell them which skills to use.

By the way, what does the blue icon and number that float above some (but not all) player characters in towns and outposts mean? Haven't been able to figure that out. The one the red arrow points at, which is shown instead of their classes and level:
Screenshot (http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3294/weirdiconsv0.jpg)
That indicates how many people are in that person's party. Usually you'll see 4 as the number since people on the starter island tend to run around with their heroes, making the party size 4.

(And why does Kamadan look like it's been dragged into a theme park located in Oblivion all of a sudden, with gloomy lighting, blood red sky, weird monsters and cardboard cutouts everywhere? :))
Halloween! :D

How about someone hooking me up with a buddy key for whatever expansion you're playing, and I'll give it a try.
I gave mine away already, but I'm pretty sure Jae wouldn't mind giving you hers. :)
 Jae Onasi
10-28-2007, 6:02 PM
How do you determine what something's really worth? I found a furious hooked scythe of enchanting, but have no clue what it would go for. I have a bunch of scythes already. Apparently the game still thinks I'm a dervish. :D
 Ztalker
10-29-2007, 8:59 AM
There's a site called Guild Wars Guru where players can auction their items. It's the most...reliable factor, since there's no in-game indication for the worth of items.

And any random drop can fall down. Elementalist runes from Warrior bosses, Daggers whilst you are an Mesmer, etc. :)

Anyways, the Furious upgrade is pretty rare. If it's the 'maximum' version, (most percent change of succes) it might be worth a lot.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/)
 Rogue Nine
10-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Too bad GWGuru's auction site is usually piss-slow. :S

And Jae, you can usually just ask in the Alliance chat if you'd like something appraised. Draco's a really good judge, since he can sell pretty much anything. He'll let you know if it's something worth trying to pawn or if you should just salvage/sell it to the merchant.
 Jae Onasi
11-08-2007, 7:37 AM
Well, I've managed to make it to Nightfall, and Varesh Ossa's change in appearance has been very interesting, as is my new Hero. :D

That mission at the Grand Court of Sebelkah is really tough to do in the Master's 6 minutes or less. Aoife, stoffe, and I got through it yesterday and got to expert, but when we retried for master's, we got nailed by some unkillable Margonites and died horribly. Those pumpkin cookies I got from Pumpkin-head Lord on Halloween are very convenient for getting rid of death penalties, btw. :D
 stoffe
11-08-2007, 7:59 AM
That mission at the Grand Court of Sebelkah is really tough to do in the Master's 6 minutes or less. Aoife, stoffe, and I got through it yesterday and got to expert, but when we retried for master's, we got nailed by some unkillable Margonites and died horribly.

Indeed. It's like a game of King of the Hill, only that the other team outnumber you 20 to 1, are all higher level than you, and when you are doing too well they send in some Invincible Scythe Reaper of Doom to slaughter you.

Running out of energy a minute into the fight certainly doesn't help either. Spellcasters aren't very good in prolonged endurance fights in this game (or it's just me who don't know how to play them properly :))

On an unrelated note, I've come to the conclusion that at least one of the Nightfall game designers is a sadist. The way some of the quests are designed... ugh... annoying isn't a word strong enough to describe them. :)
 Jae Onasi
11-08-2007, 8:26 AM
Heh, at least the 'clean up the leaves off the ground and take the bags up the stairs' quest didn't involve killing ruby djinni or Margonites. Easiest quest I've done by far, except maybe for the map travel one early in the game. :D
 stoffe
11-08-2007, 8:28 AM
Heh, at least the 'clean up the leaves off the ground and take the bags up the stairs' quest didn't involve killing ruby djinni or Margonites. Easiest quest I've done by far, except maybe for the map travel one early in the game. :D

Easy perhaps, but rather tedious. Pick up a bag, run aaaaaall the way up the 10 mile long staircase, dump bag, run back down the 10 mile long staircase, pick up next bag, repeat. They probably decided to test your endurance rather than combat prowess in that particular quest. :) That, or reward those who play with other humans, since you can't tell your heroes to grab a bag and follow. :)
 Rogue Nine
11-08-2007, 8:53 AM
That mission at the Grand Court of Sebelkah is really tough to do in the Master's 6 minutes or less. Aoife, stoffe, and I got through it yesterday and got to expert, but when we retried for master's, we got nailed by some unkillable Margonites and died horribly. Those pumpkin cookies I got from Pumpkin-head Lord on Halloween are very convenient for getting rid of death penalties, btw. :D
Don't worry Jae, I will bring the thunder tonight and we'll rock that mission. ;D

And poor stoffeekins, still annoyed with all the tedious quests and stuff. You should just do what I do and just not do them! :D
Page: 1 of 3