Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Video Card Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Eefluxx
10-06-2007, 6:46 PM
Okay I know this doesn't involve K1 or TSL yet, but I a need a new video card for a computer so I can put those games on it so I hope this is in the right place. First off I bought a 256mb GEFORCE 5200 video card today to put on a Dell computer 1.8gz processor and 256mb ram. All I get is a screen that is black on one side and green on the other. Basically looks like the NVidia colors without the logo. After awhile I got just a black screen with the recycle bin the only thing showing besides the mouse. After looking closer at the specs on the computer and mininum requirements on the video card I discovered that a 250 watt power supply was required and the Dell I have is only 200watts. Does this really make a big difference? If so then thats fine, however I went and got an older card out of a 800mz HP that I had that was a 64mb e-GeForce2MX400. It had worked fine in the older computer but all I get in the Dell is a black and green screen like before. Can anyone figure out what might be causeing the problem. I downloaded the drivers and followed the instructions both in the guide and from online from PNY support and nothing has worked, so I was hoping some of the local experts might know what to do.

Thanks

Eefluxx
 RedHawke
10-07-2007, 3:52 AM
Moving to the General Tech Discussion Forum...

Better chance at an answer there. ;)
 Q
10-07-2007, 9:01 AM
First off, this sounds like a driver issue. You'll need to download the latest ForceWare driver (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) from Nvidia.

Before you install it, you'll have to uninstall the old driver, and I highly recommend that you use Driver Cleaner Pro (http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138459-driver-cleaner-pro-1-5-a.html) to completely remove all of the old driver's components. Just download it, follow the instructions and then install the new driver.
 Eefluxx
10-07-2007, 1:54 PM
First off, Thank you Redhawke for finding the right spot for this question :)

Second, Qliveur, the computer I am installing it on doesn't have internet, so can I download the drivers and the Cleaner Pro to a CDR and then download them to the other computer?

And thanks for the help :)
 Q
10-07-2007, 2:23 PM
Sure, you can.:)

And you shouldn't have to worry about the power supply. Dell PSUs are usually capable of delivering more than their rated power.
 Eefluxx
10-07-2007, 4:08 PM
Its still not working, I wonder if it has something to do with the computer itself. I bought it from my sister and she had problems with games but didn't try to install a video card with it. I am wondering if I do a complete restore on it and start over from the beginning. There is nothing on it that I have to have.
 Q
10-07-2007, 4:18 PM
Reinstalling Windows and starting from scratch might be a good idea.
 Astrotoy7
10-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Getting an old pc is grouds for a scrub up, especially one that used to belong to a girl... so many hard drive sectors of Justin Timberlake pics and songs is just no good for 1337 gaming :D

*apologies in advance to male JT fans, and females for the generalisation* :)

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1