Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Whoops! (US Navy to Alter "Swastika" Building Due to Web Maps)

Page: 1 of 1
 Achilles
09-28-2007, 2:10 AM
Wasn't sure if this was Kavar's material or Ahto stuff. Figured better safe than sorry.

Link (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/46586)Your) tax dollars at work: The US Navy will be spending about $600,000 to redesign or camouflage a 1960s barracks building in San Diego because of complaints that it looks like a swastika when viewed from the air. In the past this might have been a problem only for the occasional air traveler who happened over Coronado island, but with the advent of aerial mapping and visualization tools like Google Earth, everyone can see anything from the sky. In fact, many people have made a game out of finding oddities in satellite photos.
 Mace MacLeod
09-28-2007, 6:24 AM
BWAAAAAAA-HA-HA!! D'OH!!!!

How do you miss that when you're drawing it up? In 1960...?
 Pho3nix
09-28-2007, 6:27 AM
I read about this yesterday.

I see no reason why it should be re-designed.The swastika existed long before the Nazis started using it. But I guess WW2 has had such a big impact on everyone that people automatically associate the swastika with Nazi Germany.
 Q
09-28-2007, 9:05 AM
Pffft.

Oops...
 Dagobahn Eagle
09-28-2007, 10:07 AM
My points from this thread (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=94062) still stands (I'm the OP).
 mimartin
09-28-2007, 12:02 PM
It is a building not a symbol. If someone does not like its shape when looking at it from satellite photos then they should just stop looking at it.
 SilentScope001
09-28-2007, 12:09 PM
It is obivous that the US Navy does not want to be associated with the Hindu symbol of peace and love. I mean, it makes the US Navy look like panzies, and cause America to look like a laughing stock. I support the remodel. :)
 Totenkopf
09-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Well......in an age of hypersensitivity to perceived insults, perhaps the architects could have used a different model. Otherwise.............big deal.
 Dagobahn Eagle
09-28-2007, 2:28 PM
It is obivous that the US Navy does not want to be associated with the Hindu symbol of peace and love.:rofl:
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Saw it on TV yesterday.

Remodeling the entire structure? Why? Why give such importance to such symbol and the broken ideology it represents. Why must millions of dollars that should be invested on the people should be wasted that way? (As far as I'm not american, that doesn't concern me, but that is my opinion).
 Jae Onasi
09-30-2007, 3:18 PM
Whoever approved the architect's plans initially was kinda dumb, but I think it's a huge waste of our tax dollars to go nuts on a remodel. It's a building, for heaven's sake, not a statement on our love or lack thereof for Nazis.
 Corinthian
09-30-2007, 9:36 PM
Keep in mind that at the time of it's construction, it probably didn't look like a Swastika. Budget shifts forced them to change what they could build and where, the base was added onto, sections were removed or expanded, etc, etc.
 Achilles
10-01-2007, 12:46 AM
I can certainly see why some people might be concerned. I seriously doubt that the U.S. gov't intentionally designed a building to resemble a swastika. And while I fully acknowledge that the swastika had a radically different meaning in other cultures long before being adopted by the Nazi's, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect there to be some discomfort over this.

I think that if someone found that GM had a building that resembled a pentagram from an aerial vantage, we'd hear very similar rumblings.
 Totenkopf
10-01-2007, 3:52 PM
I think that if someone found that GM had a building that resembled a pentagram from an aerial vantage, we'd hear very similar rumblings.

No doubt if the building were built to look like a cross or 6 pointed star, you'd get similiar people (probably with nothing to do) getting exercised over a perceived insult.
C'est le vie.
Page: 1 of 1