Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Movement to Declare A Chimp "A Person" Underway in Austria

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
09-27-2007, 10:04 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2007-09-27-chimpanzee_N.htm?csp=34)

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=nw20070927224543490C585678)

...Oh no. Oh no.

If this succeds, then this will finally usher in the Era of Animal Rights. We can't let this happen!
 Weave
09-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Oh, yes we can! :dev7:
 John Galt
09-27-2007, 10:44 PM
I have no problem with making other species citizens if their sentience can be proven, along with the ablitity to comply with all the usual requirements of citizenship.

That being said, I don't think Chimpanzees are sentient creatures, and thus should not qualify as citizens(or "people").
 mimartin
09-27-2007, 11:04 PM
They can do with it whatever they want, but when they teach it to say “no”, I’m leaving.

I was half expecting his name to be Caesar.
10 to 1 no one knows what the hell the old fart is talking about.

If this succeds, then this will finally usher in the Era of Animal Rights. We can't let this happen!
I'm all for animal rights, that is as long as I can still eat them too.
 RobQel-Droma
09-27-2007, 11:37 PM
If it can work for minimum wage and say "yes" and "no", I'll take four!

J/K.

Ah, people with too much time on their hands.
 Totenkopf
09-28-2007, 2:27 AM
They can do with it whatever they want, but when they teach it to say “no”, I’m leaving.

I was half expecting his name to be Caesar.
10 to 1 no one knows what the hell the old fart is talking about.

Well, it will only be a problem if the chimp's mother's name was Zira(?), or if the chimp picked his own name. :)
 Rogue Warrior
09-28-2007, 5:47 AM
I am a member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals, but look at it this way, the chimp would have more brains than some humans.
 Darth InSidious
10-01-2007, 7:40 AM
Oh, great knees of Simeon Stylites.

No.
 PoiuyWired
10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
*sigh* So chimps will have to pay taxes now? Put it this way, we all know that "Curious George" can become president, so chimps being a coperate leader is not a bad thing, since they are about as ruthless and stinky, and flings poo. Though having a chimp as a cellmate in prison is going to suck.

Plus, now can we legally marry a chimp? How about a dolphin?
 SilentScope001
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
*sigh* So chimps will have to pay taxes now? Put it this way, we all know that "Curious George" can become president, so chimps being a coperate leader is not a bad thing, since they are about as ruthless and stinky, and flings poo. Though having a chimp as a cellmate in prison is going to suck.

Plus, now can we legally marry a chimp? How about a dolphin?

Just remember, this is being settled in court, it is likely to go against the suit. And they are not trying to declare chimps humans, but rather chimps as a person who has rights and deserve protection. All the beniefts of rights, with none of the responsiblity.
 PoiuyWired
10-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Just remember, this is being settled in court, it is likely to go against the suit. And they are not trying to declare chimps humans, but rather chimps as a person who has rights and deserve protection. All the beniefts of rights, with none of the responsiblity.

So its like a huge company... with them rights and no responsibility. Good lord... what next? Dolphins? squids? carrots?
 tk102
10-01-2007, 2:13 PM
Absurd.

Their upkeep costs $6,800 a month. Donors have offered to help, but under Austrian law, only a person can receive personal gifts.Here's an idea: Try to donating to the shelter rather than the chimpanzees.

Organizers could set up a foundation to collect cash for Pan, whose life expectancy in captivity is about 60 years. But they argue only personhood will ensure he isn't sold to someone outside Austria, where he's protected by strict animal cruelty laws.Another idea for the activists: Buy Pan yourselves.
 Totenkopf
10-01-2007, 3:41 PM
Yeah, TK, but that would be 2 things......the simple and the obvious. No, they wish to get everything on the cheap, so to speak. Their agenda on our money.
 Jae Onasi
10-01-2007, 10:59 PM
"Hey, you--Association Against Animal Factories--get out of my gene pool!"
 Darth InSidious
10-02-2007, 7:36 AM
carrots?
Stop The Discrimination!

Vegetables Have Feelings Too!
 T3-M4
10-02-2007, 7:57 AM
I have no problem either, I mean, I wouldn't walk up to a Wookie and start patting it talking baby talk, (apart from he'd rip my arms from limb to limb)
 JediMaster12
10-02-2007, 1:34 PM
A chimp is an animal. At least that is how I think the natural order of things is supposed to be. To declar a chimp a person is rather kind of silly. It is an animal and therefore it does have some rights ANIMAL rights. What separates us, that thin barrier that makes up people and human is our ability to reason. Can a chimp do this?
 Ray Jones
10-02-2007, 2:52 PM
Yap. They use tools, think strategic and use different tactics when they hunt or follow a goal. That is pretty much ability to reason.
 Jae Onasi
10-02-2007, 9:54 PM
Chimpanzee DNA is not human DNA. Chimp DNA cannot produce humans nor can human DNA produce chimps. Therefore, chimps are not people.
 Rev7
10-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Chimpanzee DNA is not human DNA. Chimp DNA cannot produce humans nor can human DNA produce chimps. Therefore, chimps are not people.
Well said, I agree, also a chimp CAN reason to some small degree, but they CANNOT reason like we humans can. They CANNOT study their own species anatomy like we can, and that is only one out of a hundred differences between us humans, and chimps.
 Weave
10-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Well... the animal rights group specifically said that they don't want to make the chimp recognized as a human, but as an individual. They have no intentions in giving the animal "human rights" (except maybe a few... but nothing drastic, like a driver's license).

Besides, Animal rights? What makes us think that we can GIVE animals their rights... humans are animals too ya know. Problem with our species is our undeniable arrogance in our own mental superiority versus other animals. We basically think that we OWN the damn world... which isn't true at all. Sure, we make the biggest IMPACT on it, but that's beside the point. The biggest difference between humans and other species is our abstract thinking, empathy, and the knowledge that we we're going to die. I thought that was very peculiar. No other animal knows that it will inevitably die. Except us.

Anyway, enough of that speculation... like I said earlier, the chimp is being recognized as an individual... not a human.
 PoiuyWired
10-03-2007, 8:55 AM
Well, then we must try to separate what is the difference of "right of individual" versus "right of human" before anything can be done.

Plus, it might jsut be aussie laws as work, cause in places like the states you can even leave money to your cats in the will.
Page: 1 of 1