Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Wii to Computer Monitor?

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeff
09-27-2007, 5:22 PM
Hey all. I've done a little searching around but I didn't find anything very definitive. What I want to do is find an adaptor or something so I can hook my Wii up to a computer monitor. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW. Can it be done?
 Negative Sun
10-06-2007, 6:26 PM
Dammit I've seen a complete guide for it somewhere and I cannot remember where it was!
That's gonna bug me now, I'll get back to you if I remember, it was either in a mag or online somewhere *thinks hard*
 Negative Sun
10-09-2007, 7:43 PM
I dunno how much you found, but I looked around and it was pretty much what I remembered from the article, you need a Bluetooth adaptor and then a couple of programs, the most important one being GlovePIE (http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_download) (what a horrible name lolz!)

I also remembered an app called BlueSoleil, which is necessary because the windows bluetooth drivers won't cut it apparently...

The best guide I've found is here (http://www.wiili.org/index.php/How_To:_Windows_Wiimote), oh and I'm assuming you're using Windows?
 Jeff
10-09-2007, 8:45 PM
Yep, I also have Linux but it would be easiest in Windows I would think. Thanks for digging those up, I'll check them out.
 Negative Sun
10-10-2007, 3:40 AM
NP

Good luck with that, let me know how it goes.
 Q
10-10-2007, 7:39 AM
I was curious about this subject as well.

Nice monitor, Moells. TN panels have come a long way (my monitor uses one as well). Do you like it?
 Astrotoy7
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
C'mon NegSun..... moels wants to plug his Wii into his nice monitor, not play Quake with his wiimote !! Moels... read on:

Firstly, if all you want to do is plug the wii into the monitor to use the monitor as a display....it has *naught* to do with windows and linux....your pc can be off in another room serenading hookers and it will still work :D

If you want your pc involved, this is usually done when people want to make gameplay captures... you need a capture card or usb capture device, like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=612720&sku=O38-1022)

I have one which I use to convert miniDV and VHS to digital>DVD.

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/O38-1022b.jpg)

It is quite a memory intensive process, so I really cant guarantee how it goes for extended live gameplay... and you need a decent CPU/RAM to pull it off..

So, you're better going off with the tailor-made option..

Im not sure if that 720p firmware upgrade has coem in yet, but even so - most existing games wouldnt operate at 720p but rely on 'smoke n mirror' aka upscaling to fill a screen.... ugh

Im all for plugging in hdmi to vga to get stunning 1080p.... but the wii....

anyway, I am actually here to help, not rant about the wii's substandard hardware :p Here is what you seek :

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=20876)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
10-10-2007, 2:50 PM
lolz I should've read the first post more carefully, aw well, it's something else to try out huh?

That video capture tool is quite handy I've heard, it helped me a lot when I was going for an all S-Rank in Devil May Cry in Dante Must Die! Mode (aka "you snooze, you die, a lot!" Mode), a guy from the UK here put his vids online and it helped me with some of the tactics in my own pwnage game, and all I've got is a picture of my telly screen to prove it, but hey, it's proof as well :xp:
 Jeff
10-10-2007, 2:59 PM
Thanks Astro, that was more of what I was looking for I think. I know its not as pretty as 1080p :p but its gotta be better than my roommate's ~15" tv that I rarely get to use anyways. Thanks again for the help guys.

edit: Ordered! 7-15 days shipping though. :fist:
 Negative Sun
10-10-2007, 5:39 PM
Thanks Astro, that was more of what I was looking for I think. I know its not as pretty as 1080p :p but its gotta be better than my roommate's ~15" tv that I rarely get to use anyways. Thanks again for the help guys.

edit: Ordered! 7-15 days shipping though. :fist:
Haw!
I use a 15" telly for gaming, it works just fine if you sit 2 feet away from it :xp:
 Jeff
10-23-2007, 8:43 PM
Well I got the cable but I don't have my monitor's vga cable, only the digital cable. ;_; So my vga cable will be sent from home, hopefully I'll have it in a day or two.
 Astrotoy7
10-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Well I got the cable but I don't have my monitor's vga cable, only the digital cable. ;_; So my vga cable will be sent from home, hopefully I'll have it in a day or two.

lolz... forward thinking is your friend Moels ;)

hope it works out well...let us know ;)

@negsun... CRT monitors are crazily cheap(ebay, markets, free) and can have a great picture. Your much better off getting a cable like moels did and plugging into a crt monitor and playing without sitting 2ft away, squinting and pretending its ok. I have a 17" flatron, bulky as heck, but beautiful image - sitting in my garage scaring away cockroaches.

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1