Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Intel's Ray Tracing...Gimmick or Gold?

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
09-24-2007, 6:49 PM
Clicky (http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601332/ray-tracing-videos--the-future-of-gaming.html)

Look at the first comment lolz, silly Intel fanboy thinks that company has re-invented the wheel or something...

I think that's what AMD's planning with the Fusion on that front, but at least they've learned their lesson and aren't promising us anything...yet :xp:

Cool looking vids though, but I'm kinda getting tired of hearing about uber pwnage graphics when there's practically no original games being released for the PC though...Mass Effect or TFU would be awesome games to push DX10 to its fullest but all we have so far is Crysis, which isn't exactly the most original concept either...

Read this article (http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601329/phil-vs-the-missing-western.html) for some true words about the current PC gaming industry and why Westerns rule ;)
 Astrotoy7
09-25-2007, 6:59 AM
Bioshock is DX10 and ''pwnage graphics''... super story too :)

I won't tell you what rez I run it at - I'd like to keep this thread clean :D

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-25-2007, 8:17 AM
Bioshock is DX10 and ''pwnage graphics''... super story too :)
And that's pretty much where it ends atm...And let me guess: does it start with "1" and end with "920x1200"? :xp:
 stingerhs
09-25-2007, 10:42 AM
yeah, but aside from all the reflections on that harvester, those were not very good looking graphics. yeah, its impressive that they accomplished that without a GPU, but they had to use 16 cores to do it. i'm sorry, but i'm not putting down that kind of money into multiple processors, a mult-socket mobo, and a 1000+W PSU just so i can avoid the cost of a graphics card.

color me unimpressed. :indif:
 Negative Sun
09-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Totally agree...at least the Fusion will include a graphics processing element as well as a CPU element as well.
 Astrotoy7
09-25-2007, 12:57 PM
And that's pretty much where it ends atm...And let me guess: does it start with "1" and end with "920x1200"? :xp:

You're kidding right ?? :p

The 8800GTS continues to impress...handles 2650 x 1600 with all effects on, even bloom. Got a steady 50+ fps average. Dropping it to 1920x1200 doesnt make a massive difference really...

The decor is a bit different from something expansive like in Oblivion - which explains alot of that... Im still tempted to load that POS on my rig and see how it does. Nothin like benchies you run yourself :)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-25-2007, 1:29 PM
lolz, was it the 320Mb you have?

The 8800GTS does sound quite impressive though, sounds like it eats benchies for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
 Astrotoy7
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I have to admit, performance is on the app side too. A well writtem game willwork well at those higher resolutions... Ive been playing FIFA 08, pretty simplistic stuff, but you can tell the devs werent thinking about high end performance when writing it. Im stuck at playing at a lowly 1900 x 1200 :( :p

it'll do I guess :) For what it does, the GTS640MB is great value IMO

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1