Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

AI, Bots, Mindless Lumps

Page: 1 of 1
 TripHammer
09-18-2007, 9:24 PM
I think the AI need to be spruced up. They were spruced up from SWBF1 to SWBF2, but I think they could have gone farther with them. I'm not into the whole squad command thing too much. If I want to give commands I'll play Republic Commando, so the AI don't have to be intelligent enough to understand commands in IMHO. But I would like them to "hold up" or STOP if a mine is around. If there's one close to me.. I'd like to feel the confidence that a bot isn't going to run by me and trigger it off. They're completely mindless when it comes to mines. The Gamoreans are horrifying. Play the heavy trooper and rack up your score endlessly on Jabba's.

I'd also like to see the bots actually engage an enemy instead of running into the nearest turret. Don't get me wrong.. I know they will engage you.. but if given the choice.. they go for the turret over firing at you. They'd rather fire at you from the turret (from vehicles too). They also stand still way too much... move around.. make it a challenge. I know they do somewhat, but they need to do it more.

AI also need to be smarter to take me out.. while at the same time... my own team's bots need to be stupid enough to leave me targets to shoot at. I'm not into the whole team effort thing when it comes to the game unless it's in competition. The idea seems simple enough in SinglePlayer mode.. but Multiplayer mode would be a nightmare to program the AI that way. I don't think it can be done actually. There has to be a balance or line that the devs have to draw... and I don't think everyone playing the game will ever be on the same page as to where that line should be.
 vader815
10-09-2007, 8:06 PM
i agree with what you're saying. the AI is dumb. a common example is in space combat. pilots often crash into other ships, and if you an AI in a landed craft, they try to fligh off and crash, even if you positioned the craft in a way that nobody, and i mean nobody could not fly it out of the hangar in one piece, it like maddening.
 xhh2a
10-10-2007, 4:35 PM
and I'd like to remind everyone that making AI attack the player over other AI doesn't make a better Ai. (which has happened before many times in SWBF2, they'd specifically target me when I'm far, far away than close by AI.
 darkjedimonkey
10-15-2007, 7:09 AM
AI like in Halo 2 were actually good because they shot at stuff and actually killed things.
we need AI like those or better.
 TripHammer
10-15-2007, 5:12 PM
It's a thin line... You need AI that are effective on your own team.. but still give you enough targets to kill. Bots intelligence need to be improved so that they can see mines... if they have a sniper rifle.. they need a range to which they're effective as support. Devs are faced with the problem of making the AI too smart... then the "game" aspect is gone.

When I play online.. I just as soon play without them. SinglePlayer.. I crank them up so I can get a good game of it all. I don't want to sit back while my teammate AI do the all the work. I expect them to be stupid to a point.
 jawathehutt
10-15-2007, 5:14 PM
The ai in Halo 2 were scripted. They did what they were told until they died, and that was that. If you were to noclip into an area without having it register that you passed a certain area, the ai would just stand there. Absolutely nothing would happen, because they're not programmed to do anything until you pass that point. One of the reasons all the battlef games have ****ty ai is because they have to "improvise" based on the battle., which is harder to do, although its still very possible.
 vader815
10-21-2007, 2:09 PM
i understand that, but why couldn't similar scripiting be used on the battlefront bots. for example, if a mine is right in infront of you, DO NOT run into it. is that so hard. or maybe, when flying a space craft, do not fly straight into another ship. or maybe even, when flying a landing craft, LAND in enemy hangar.
Page: 1 of 1