Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

AMD announces TRIPLE core CPU!

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
09-18-2007, 5:41 PM
Clicky (http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601301/amd-announces-triple-core-cpus.html)

I have one thing to say:
looolz!!!

"In the conference call at which the announcement was made, AMD was keen to remind the listening journalists that it was the only company able to offer a triple core CPU, a non-too subtle dig at the fact that Intel’s current quad-core chips essentially comprise two dual-core dies sandwiched together."

^This gave me quite a chuckle too...

Very smart move IMO, and one that honestly never even crossed my mind!
It bridges the gap between duals and quads, offering a first true multi-core above dual cores, while it'll more than likely be lower in price than the Quad Phenom and (hopefully) the Quad Intels...

Sorry couldn't find any bigger pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/Jimmie/AMD1.jpg)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/Jimmie/AMD2.jpg)
 Q
09-18-2007, 8:03 PM
This is an good attempt to make up for the poor yields that AMD is getting while producing native quad-core K10s. These are quad-core K10s that didn't quite make it.:)

Pretty clever if you ask me, as it has a good chance of finding a niche in the market while recouping the losses resulting from poor fab yields. Good idea, AMD.
 Astrotoy7
09-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Interesting. I thinks its hard to say anything about these until they hit the shelves and are tested :)

mtfbwya
 Char Ell
09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I think it will be quite interesting to see how these triple core CPUs' performance stacks up against the dual cores and quad cores and how they are received by the market-at-large. Maybe AMD has found a niche in Intel's strategy that it can exploit. Maybe triple-cores won't really catch on. Only time will tell. :)
 Q
09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
If they're priced competitively then there's no doubt that they will catch on.

Because there is more of a chance for failure when fabricating a native quad-core CPU as opposed to one that is composed of two separate dual-core chips, AMD will most likely end up with quite a few of these on their hands.

If they price them right, they will have created a section of the market that is exclusively theirs, almost by accident. AMD is making lemonade from lemons. I like it.:)
 Char Ell
09-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Yes, well, I do like how AMD can still throw Intel (and the rest of us) a curve ball instead of the anticipated fast ball. This definitely makes things more interesting. :brow:
 Astrotoy7
09-19-2007, 4:36 AM
K10 does have its work cut out though... A (professionally overclocked) Penryn at 5.56GHz has just broken 3 world records for x4 CPUS.

that dang 45nm CPU showdown is heating up :p

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-19-2007, 4:50 AM
Yes, well, I do like how AMD can still throw Intel (and the rest of us) a curve ball instead of the anticipated fast ball. This definitely makes things more interesting. :brow:
Couldn't agree more!
 stingerhs
09-19-2007, 10:46 AM
well, its a better move than to have all this nonsense with the rather lackluster Barcelona launch i guess. seriously, i'm really starting to lose faith in AMD. they just aren't staying competitive right now, and although this announcement is one of the best things i've heard from them in a while, it still doesn't do much to bolster my confidence.

its like i just keep hearing more and more promises. well, where's the product?? i'd rather see that than more promises. :indif:
 Negative Sun
09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Very true, it all sounds nice, but we'll just have to wait and see...But at least they're not sitting on their behinds doing nothing.
 Q
09-20-2007, 8:16 AM
@stingerhs: This is just Intel's turn to shine. AMD clearly won the last round and kept the crown for 2-3 years. Even before K8 they were very competitive. They can do it again; just not this time around.

And I agree with you about the empty promises thing. It's not helping.:(
Page: 1 of 1